PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report

Chicken Dinner
11-25-2021, 09:34 AM
Is this still a hunting site?

It’s been an interesting season so far. I usually try to take a least one doe before the rut kicks in as I think they’re better eating. But, that just didn’t happen this year. All I’d see were small bucks or does when I was in a buck only area. My luck changed yesterday morning when this young doe and her yearling came by yesterday morning. I switched to Hornady Precision Hunter cartridges in the 6.5 Creedmoor I started hunting with last year and was very pleased with the results as I had a nice pass thru and a 40 yard blood trail that was impossible to miss. As our buddy Larke would have said, “I let the air out of her.”

Once I had her down, that’s when the real adventure began. All the processors in the County I was hunting were full up so I had to take her ti a place 30 miles away in the wrong direction from home. I’m also hunting in a CWD zone and had to wade through all the regs to figure out where it was legal ti transport , etc. The processor will submit and sample to the DNR and I’ll be notified if there is an issue.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211125/8ee67e124cbc69cb073d0e8d1a8e26b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
11-25-2021, 09:55 AM
You took mommy away from her baby and created an orphan to wander the scary woods all alone? Expect a nasty letter from the anti’s. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-25-2021, 10:02 AM
So……you took the yearling it appears.

Bkb

Thumper
11-25-2021, 10:06 AM
She’d have been a nice one in 6-7 years. ;)

Thumper
11-25-2021, 10:08 AM

Ummmm, wtf is that in Homer’s mouth???

Chicken Dinner
11-25-2021, 03:50 PM
So……you took the yearling it appears.

Bkb

[emoji23] you should have seen how small the yearling was…

Hombre
11-26-2021, 03:19 PM
Nice job CD! It's a tough thing brining this place back to a hunting conversation.

Chicken Dinner
11-26-2021, 03:30 PM
You took mommy away from her baby and created an orphan to wander the scary woods all alone? Expect a nasty letter from the anti’s. ;)

If I hadn’t had a misfeed, that wouldn’t have been a problem[emoji48]

Bwana
11-28-2021, 09:33 PM
Congrats to you sir.

That doe looks WAY better looking than the one I didn't get. Thanks to EHD and the terrible affect it had on whitetails around here, I couldn't bring myself to try to find and then shoot one of the few remaining whitetails that survived that terrible outbreak. Good thing my daughter filled her buck tag back home so we will have venison this winter.

Chicken Dinner
11-29-2021, 10:23 AM
Bwana - we’ve got CWD spreading into more counties up where I shot this doe and they really want the herd thinned as a result as it spreads partially due to the over population of deer. While there’s no proven connection to it passing to humans, the DNR is doing a ton of testing and it was even mandatory for all deer in the CWD zones on Opening Day. The processor took a sample of this deer and I’ll get notified if there’s an issue.

Bwana
11-29-2021, 10:30 AM
CD, we have CWD up here too in SOME areas of the state but from what I have seen up here most deer can live with CWD, whereas EHD seems to kill most that get it. The really odd thing to me is that while it tends to kill whitetails, mule deer don't seem to be impacted.

BarryBobPosthole
11-29-2021, 12:15 PM
Bwana - we’ve got CWD spreading into more counties up where I shot this doe and they really want the herd thinned as a result as it spreads partially due to the over population of deer. While there’s no proven connection to it passing to humans, the DNR is doing a ton of testing and it was even mandatory for all deer in the CWD zones on Opening Day. The processor took a sample of this deer and I’ll get notified if there’s an issue.

I wonder if that sample will also get tested for covid since that’s a recent issue with whitetails too. Will they notify you of the results either way?
BKB

Chicken Dinner
11-29-2021, 01:02 PM
I think I’ll only hear something if there’s an issue. Not sure about the CV test. But, I’d be surprised as the CWD test is a sample of brain tissue.

Thumper
11-29-2021, 01:47 PM
Not sure about the CV test. But, I’d be surprised as the CWD test is a sample of brain tissue.

Good thing ol' P-hole ain't no danged whitetail ... there wouldn't be enough tissue to test! :lmao

DeputyDog
11-30-2021, 04:45 PM
We had EHD go through here a few years ago. It did a real number on the deer population in some areas more than others, but had an effect everywhere.

Thankfully, it only lasted about a year and the numbers are back to about normal again.

Penguin
11-30-2021, 08:48 PM
Us too DD. But they're coming back and doing better this year. I got the freezer filled and saw quite a few on the Church homestead.

Nice job Hank. Time to break out the iron skillet and the garlic and get to cooking. 😊