PDA

View Full Version : Death To All Chat Forums???

Big Skyz
12-15-2021, 02:00 PM
The other day I was watching a hunting related YouTube video. The host of the show mentioned all the other social media formats that the viewers could see content on if they wanted more. He also mentioned his relatively popular website and it's chat forums. When he mentioned it he referred to it as basically the dinosaur of social media, and believed it wouldn't be long before chat forums we completely obsolete. At first I thought, that can't be right. Then I started to pay a lot more attention.With Tik Tok, Snapchat, Facebook, and various other modes of cyber communications chat forums really are on a down hill slide. Every place I frequent has less and less traffic. Some, like this place, barely hang on. It kind'a bums me out as I've enjoyed the chat forum format for many years, but I too see it completely disappearing in the not too distant future. I've met a lot of good people through Goodhunting. In fact, I've personally met more people from this site than all the others combined. So when this place finally takes it's last breath, it will be a lot like losing a friend. I'm not sure where I'm going with all this other than to say I wish things were different, but I sure do appreciate all you guys, and will continue to do so whether this place continues to exist or not. So for the one or two of you left to read this thank you.

Chicken Dinner
12-15-2021, 04:06 PM
I agree 100%. I’ve met some damn fine people through this site. But, it’s basically on life support at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hombre
12-15-2021, 05:19 PM
I came late to GH but I appreciate the people here. In fact, I view and post more here than I do on social media sites. To be frank I just don't care to share my opinions with, or have others share with me, by that many people. I suppose you could say I prefer my bubble or vacuum. With that said I I think that is 99% of social media too, people want to post their opinion but they don't want to see differing opinions. They post things then comment with "your on my page go somewhere else if you disagree" or they join their opinion supporting pages.

Thumper
12-15-2021, 07:33 PM
Although I hate to agree, I have to agree. We’re on our last legs here and the attrition rate has been alarming the past few years. I have a Facebook page that I built in one day, only because I had a couple people telling me I “had” to get onboard. I had plans to finish it along the way, but what I put up that first day is as far as I got. The only enjoyment I get out of my personal page, is the alert I get when a friend has a birthday.

That said, I do enjoy perusing others pages from time to time, but will admit it’s not on a regular basis and very spotty. The thing that has been the biggest plus with this site, has been being afforded the opportunity to meet some of the finest people I’ve ever met and consider them (hopefully) forever friends.

One thing I’ve wanted to do for many years, is to develop a page here where we can post our contact info. It would only be visible to registered members, but could be printed for future reference. ALL entries would be optional, but the more info the better. If anybody knows how to do that, I’m all for it. Of course, there aren’t too many regulars here to submit that info, so it may be pissing into the wind as far as usefulness is concerned.

1) Name as well as moniker used here.
2) Address or at least city and or state.
3) Phone number
4) Email addy.

Also send me your SSN and banking info. Credit cards, numbers and security codes. (I will personally keep all this info confidential) ;)

Another (serious) option would be to list the wife’s (or other responsible person) name and contact info if different. 10 or so years ago, I had a buddy who quit responding to email. I then found I had a long outdated cell number and couldn’t contact him. About a year later, I heard from a mutual friend he had passed away. I didn’t have his wife’s contact info and had no clue. Just recently, I was supposed to meet a buddy up in Maine for a Jeep rally, then we were to head back to Florida together. Shortly before the trip, I lost all contact with him. About a week later (just before the planned trip/meeting), I heard from his wife that he’d been in the hospital in ICU for the past couple weeks and they had to cancel the trip.

Really, I have no clue how long this site will survive. I’m not at my desk, but I believe the bills are paid until this summer (not positive). I also “think” I have enough in the account to possibly renew for another year, if not, it should be close. But it’s getting to the point there are probably only 5-10 simi-regular participants these days.

As far as the other social media sites, I really know nothing about them and my very limited experience (and interest) in Facebook has already been addressed above. I also think the unique ability to meet in person and actually form close, personal friendships will be pretty much lost on those other platforms, but I may be wrong and just can’t see it.

Big Skyz
12-16-2021, 11:27 AM
Well I will say this much. Even though this is probably the smallest site I frequent, it has been my favorite. I do have Facebook and Instagram accounts, but I don't enjoy them nearly as much as this place. In fact, despite the fact I post fairly regular of Facebook I'm not a huge fan of the place. However, I have a lot of relatives, friends, and former students that post a lot on there, and that is where we kind of all keep track of each other's lives. Instagram on the other hand I really enjoy, but I don't use it for social reasons. In fact, I like the fact that I don't have to follow everyone that chooses to follow me. I built my account there purely for business/marketing reasons, and so far it has been a good decision, and it has grown very steadily since starting it. I'll stick around on Goodhunting until it evaporates away, but it sure has been a good ride so to speak.

LJ3
12-16-2021, 11:28 AM
I won't just pile on to be my usual ass of a self :D

It's all true, though. Chat sites are dying n favor of more real-time apps.

Shit, my best friends are people I met through this site, directly or otherwise. My current screen-saver is a pic of my Shenandoah fishing trip with Posthole, Hank and his tiny boy, Larke and his dumbass Hammerhead.

What this platform did was let people get closer and get to know each other. Not because it was a chat site, but because membership was very low and always stayed that way. It is a small, closely controlled environment. That's what makes hit unique, not the platform itself.

There's obviously other options out there but they don't have that same sort of community, nor static content. That's the big difference. I don't see anything on the horizon that really lends itself to that.

quercus alba
12-16-2021, 12:58 PM
I prefer this format primarily because it's limited to members where as on twitter or Facebook any one can show up uninvited spouting off stupidity. I have to deal with enough assholery in my life without them crawling out of the woodwork on social media.

LJ3
12-16-2021, 01:59 PM
I prefer this format primarily because it's limited to members where as on twitter or Facebook any one can show up uninvited spouting off stupidity. I have to deal with enough assholery in my life without them crawling out of the woodwork on social media.

There's a lot to be said for a closed environment. It's definitely possible with other social media apps.

quercus alba
12-16-2021, 02:33 PM
Then you're right back where we are, a small isolated group

LJ3
12-16-2021, 02:49 PM
But on a platform that won't go away any time soon.

Then again, people prolly thought tat about Myspace :D

Hombre
12-16-2021, 04:14 PM
But on a platform that won't go away any time soon.

Then again, people prolly thought tat about Myspace :D

Kinda makes ya wonder where Tom is today

airbud7
12-16-2021, 08:55 PM
Bullshit!.....We can keep this going, where do I donate?

Cappy would tell us to keep this thing going!...

Although I do talk to Jim once a year I have yet to smoke a joint with Barry?

And catch a trout with Sky!...

Skeet shooting with JB would be fun!...

Watching the start of an Indy race with deputy eating a hombre dish while Lynn Jenkins is playing Star Spangled Banner would be awesome!!!

Love Y'all!!!

PS: Artie is really Toby Keith in disguise!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/EZALdDhGzEY/maxresdefault.jpg

FooBang
12-17-2021, 12:22 AM
This place, and places like it, need to continue to exist.

quercus alba
12-17-2021, 09:56 AM
we've had more traffic about this place dying than we've had in any topic during the last month

BarryBobPosthole
12-17-2021, 11:09 AM
This place, and places like it, need to continue to exist.

Speakng of lurkers!

Merry Christmas Foo!

BKB

Thumper
12-17-2021, 11:28 AM
I can picture Foo’s Christmas dinner table. Fried carp!

Good to see you here Foo. Ya’ sell your house yet?

Bwana
12-17-2021, 12:25 PM
This site has been wonderful in so many ways, not the least of which being the in-person meetings it has generated. All I have met to date have been good people for certain and I am sure MOST of the rest of you would be tolerable as well. ;)

My vote continues to be that we keep the doors of this old place open for as long as we can. (Thump, perhaps another post about where we can send our donations?)

Bwana
12-17-2021, 12:26 PM
This site has been wonderful in so many ways, not the least of which being the in-person meetings it has generated. All I have met to date have been good people for certain and I am sure MOST of the rest of you would be tolerable as well. ;)

My vote continues to be that we keep the doors of this old place open for as long as we can. (Thump, perhaps another post about where we can send our donations?)