PDA

View Full Version : Insurance question for the GH braintrust.....

Big Muddy
02-25-2013, 11:06 AM
I hate ins., but like most folks, I hafta buy it....my agent called this morning about a weather-related farm claim from 2009....seems he made an error on some forms that he sent in, and now, the company wants me to re-pay dang near $8,000 bucks for an over-payment.

Never had anything like this happen, so do I sell some blood, and pay the piper???....don't ins. folks carry some type of errors and omissions ins. to cover their azzes in situations like this, when they screw up???

BarryBobPosthole
02-25-2013, 11:43 AM
If it was clearly something I owed, I think I'd pay it. However, I wouldn't pay it right away. This sounds suspiciously to me like he's making a run at you to see if you'll pay before he goes and fesses up to his company. Then again, a lot of it depends on the relationship you have with your agent. I have an insurance agent that is a good friend and business guy that has done many 'out of the box' things for me, like getting me a free roof inspection by a claims adjuster just so I'd know sort of thing. For him, I'd probably have an off the record conversation and decide from there.

BKB

Thumper
02-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Tell 'em to sue you ... if they do ... give it back. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
02-25-2013, 11:49 AM
The insurance company likely wouldn't sue you, they'd just slap a lien on your property.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
02-25-2013, 12:01 PM
I hate being a dick, but $8k is a bunch of money. I guess I'd need to see some sort of explanation in writing before I'd even consider it.

Big Muddy
02-25-2013, 01:22 PM
I hate being a dick, but $8k is a bunch of money. I guess I'd need to see some sort of explanation in writing before I'd even consider it.

How odd that he calls, then I just opened my morning mail....I received a certified letter from the ins. company with the documentation, and wanting payment in 30 days.

Yep, he screwed up....not intentionaly, by any means, but he entered some incorrect info. on some of the forms that affected the claim amount.

He's already admitted his mistake....however, if he has errors and omissions ins. that covers situations like this, then I don't feel like I should have to pony up for the full amount....heck, this happened 4 years ago, and now I'm supposed to come up with $8,000 bucks in 30 days....day'um!!!

Phole, he is not a close friend....he lives in another town, and it's strictly a business relationship.

Chicken Dinner
02-25-2013, 01:38 PM
You may want to check with the Insuracne Commission if you have something like that to see what your rights are. I'm sure that your policy is pretty one-sided in favor of the company. But, four years is a long time for them to be coming back to you over an error.

Big Muddy
02-25-2013, 01:47 PM
The more I think about this, the more pizzed-off I get....I think some of Bucky's karma hosed me down, this morning. ;)

Buckrub
02-25-2013, 03:19 PM
I apologize. I have enough for everyone, however.

Is this State Farm (or such), or is it Wild Life of Texas? Sorry, but my opinion is that these "Independent Agents" stick you with cheapo insurance. Like Mayhem says, they won't pay.

I don't know, and don't want to know, the details. But a "mistake on some forms"????? I call b/s on them. That kind of mistake is NOT made in the casualty business, and if it is, it isn't made for eight thou big ones. Well, maybe if the claim was for a quarter Million!!!

Me? I'd tell 'em I don't agree with this (and that's as specific as I'd get on the 'why') and that I was going to run it by my lawyer and see what he says. That'd be my OFFICIAL IN WRITING answer. And I'll bet you something nice that's the last you hear of it.

Or you can pay with disposable income!!!! :)

DeputyDog
02-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Like CW said, I'd check with your state's insurance commission about this before you pay anything.

Big Muddy
02-25-2013, 04:09 PM
You can bet I'm not paying sheeit until he and I hold a face-2-face meeting.

Thumper
02-25-2013, 04:26 PM
In most businesses ... if the BUSINESS screws up, it's a "cost of doing business" and they write it off. If YOU gave them false or misleading information resulting in an overpayment (read; insurance fraud) ... the burden is thrown back on you to pay up. My guess is, they're testing the water to see if you'll bite. If not .. I don't think they have any legal recourse. I'm probably 100% wrong ... but that's my gut feeling. What it will probably boil down to is ... #1 - you pay up which will negate their mistake ... #2 - they're out a substantial amount of $$$ due to THEIR mistake and a certain agent "may" lose his job over it ... or at least get a major ass-chewing.

If you go to Walmart or the grocery store and an item is mis-priced ... you normally get the product for the price stated and they correct THEIR mistake afterwards.

But ... that's MY opinion ... and you know what they say about opinions and ass-holes. ;)

Buckrub
02-25-2013, 04:27 PM
And elbows.

Everyone has one or two.