PDA

View Full Version : Nice fish

DeputyDog
01-24-2022, 05:13 PM
This was taken out of the lake I live by and where I keep my boat.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220124/78e1457add6ffaa39c1dd1036d65b760.jpg

I just saw it posted on the lake’s website. They said 37” and around 11 pounds.

If someone would start a fishing forum around this place, I’d post this there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
01-24-2022, 07:40 PM
It must be a hoot to catch one of those through the ice on a hand line or a ice fishing rod. I caught a 41” northern in LOTW on pretty beefy tackle and it about whooped my ass.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
01-24-2022, 09:07 PM
I would love to latch onto one of those some day!

airbud7
01-25-2022, 01:10 AM
That's a big sumbitch!...can you eat it?

Thumper
01-25-2022, 02:34 AM
I caught a monster in Northern Ontario about 35 years ago and had it mounted. It was on the wall at my buddy’s place in Ohio, but I have no idea whatever happened to it after he passed away. It’s one of the few I ever pulled into the boat as I TRY to release those slime balls in the water if possible. A/B, they’re pretty good eating but you have to know somebody who really knows their shit when it comes to filleting them. Otherwise, a 10-pounder is about 8-pounds of bones!

BarryBobPosthole
01-25-2022, 09:07 AM
I’ve had a lot of northern over the years but can’t say they’re great table fare at least in my opinion. Some folk swear by them.

I caught this 39 1/2” at Dogtooth in 2014. My goodness but I had no idea it was seven years ago. I still remember the fight this fish gave me!

And A/B I have a rule in my boat that all northerns have to be boatside release except for the monsters. If you get that slime all over the place in a weeks worth of fishing you’ll have those ankle biter flies all over you the rest of the week.

And if you see someone holding a northern like these pics, just know they’re so slimy the person in the photo is hanging on to them for dear life!

BkB

airbud7
01-25-2022, 09:33 AM
Thanks Barry...gotcha... it's slimy like a eel!...slipperier than a wet Pig?

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/sent-trib.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/76/a76f5e9c-9a64-11e8-b979-bf1abfac914c/5b69d276e6d60.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C800

DeputyDog
01-25-2022, 10:06 AM
The lake I grew up on was full of them. You definitely need to know how to clean them or else they are really boney.

I’ve eaten a bunch of them over the years and I like them.

My grandma lived with us when I was a kid and she loved to fish. She was maybe 5’ tall and damn if she didn’t seem to catch a huge pike at least once a year and I’ve got pictures of holding several that are 30+ inches long. Over the years, we pulled several out of that lake that were in that 30-36” range.

LJ3
01-25-2022, 10:29 AM
I caught my biggest (and only) Northern at Dogtooth. It was a big fucker. I can't remember how big but what I do remember very clearly is that it was on my ultralight rig with a 1/8oz jig head and 6lb test. I had walked down to the dock in the morning because my "pet smallmouth" sat over in a little hole to the right of the dock about 30 yards out. I had caught him two mornings in a row. The third morning I didn't get a bite and was burning my jig back to the dock and BAM!! My first thought as he tail walked was "there's no way I'm getting this fish on land"

Somehow I did. Go figure.

BarryBobPosthole
01-25-2022, 10:42 AM
They’re fun as hell to fish for and catch. Its when you land them that the fun begins.

BKB

Thumper
01-25-2022, 11:01 AM
Yep, prolly the only large fish I’d catch and hope it’d spit the hook out once I got it to the boat and got a good look at it.

DeputyDog
01-25-2022, 11:05 AM
Yeah, you definitely want to make sure you avoid those teeth.

Thumper
01-25-2022, 11:39 AM
The teeth yes, but most importantly, the slime.

BarryBobPosthole
01-25-2022, 11:55 AM
True story: Julie and I were fishing a little lake called Lake Clitherall in the Ottertail region of Minnesota (which I immediately dubbed Clitoral). I caught a ~25ish hammer handle on a big crankbait. I dropped it on the back deck and it started thrashing and buried two of the three hooks on the rear treble into the webbing between my thumb and pointer finger. And continued thrashing. The anchor happened to behandy so I chounced it on the melon and it calmed right down.
Damn that hurt. Especially since my hand got chounced by the anchor too!
Another reason not to land those smelly bastiches..

BKB