PDA

View Full Version : Well heck, I almost forgot!

Thumper
01-25-2022, 01:05 PM
Last week, I posted my Chinese birthday dinner hosted by our friends, but I forgot to post the dinner Lynn treated me to. This steak house is one of the top steak houses in the country and it's one of our go-to places for special occasions. They have a fantastic steak restaurant and a separate dessert room upstairs (reservation only). As usual, Covid screwed up one of the most interesting parts of the restaurant. Formerly. you could take a kitchen tour as well as a tour of the wine cellar, but due to Covid, the tours have been suspended. When I say wine cellar, I mean WINE CELLAR! They have over a half million bottles of wine, including some of the rarest wines in the world (one is priced at $30,000 and is available to the guests).

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cCLdCmrqMwE" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyway, here are a few pics of my birthday dinner #2. BTW, pic #4 is PERSACTLY how a good steak should be cooked! :thumbsup

13001 13002

13003 13004

quercus alba
01-25-2022, 02:33 PM
Just a few thoughts

1) you're right, that's the proper cooking of a steak

2) Your looks are starting to fade

2b) Lynn is obviously blind

3) why do you want green stuff on your plate when you could have replaced it with another potato

Thumper
01-25-2022, 02:50 PM
I have to agree with 1, 2 and 2b (totally expected after looking at the final pic, not my best moment).

As for #3, after I remarked how good they were, they DID serve an additional potato (total of 4). I ate 2, Lynn brought one home. :thumbsup

FooBang
01-26-2022, 12:44 AM
I have to agree with 1, 2 and 2b (totally expected after looking at the final pic, not my best moment).

As for #3, after I remarked how good they were, they DID serve an additional potato (total of 4). I ate 2, Lynn brought one home. :thumbsup

We just re-re-resettled in the san francisco bay area. There are no good restaurants nearby. I think we were spoiled by New York City.
Anyway, Happy Birthday, Mr. Old Fart.

Penguin
01-26-2022, 09:53 AM
Hehe, now that looks like a great time!

What kind of steak is that Jimmy? It looks like a ribeye. I might have to thaw a few out and fire up the grill this weekend as that pic puts me in the mood. Course it is supposed to be 14 degrees with a 25 mph wind this weekend so maybe I'll have to watch over it from inside the house. :p

Those kind of meals stick in your memory if you're anything like me. I remember my wife and I went on a scenic trail ride up in Duluth several years back. We went out for what turned out to be a very nice dinner that I will always remember fondly. For dessert we had what they called a hot butt. Hot chocolate with buttterscotch rum topped with whipped cream. I still make those when it gets cold occasionally.

Will

Chicken Dinner
01-26-2022, 09:57 AM
We just re-re-resettled in the san francisco bay area. There are no good restaurants nearby. I think we were spoiled by New York City.

Lois like good eats, Thump.

Congrats on the move (I think.), Foo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
01-26-2022, 10:24 AM

Well hello stranger! I hope you start checking in here more often! Yep, the Big Apple can spoil you in many ways, but I'll pass! ;)

Many, many years ago, when I lived in L.A, I was dating a Korean gal (Suk Lee) and we went to San Francisco to visit one of her friends for a few days. I was totally surprised to find out San Francisco really has no Koreatown! I simply assumed it would as there was a VERY large one in L.A, where Suk and her family lived. (and before you G/H pervs chime in, it's pronounced Sook, not Suck) When we went out for Korean food, we actually went across the bay to Oakland. The cool thing was, I have an old Army buddy who lived in Oakland at the time and he met us there for dinner (along with his Thai wife). A couple years ago, Lynn and I went to San Jose to visit some of her family and they had a pretty decent sized Koreatown there, so I'm amazed there's really nothing to speak of in S.F. Of course there are many world class/Michelin Star restaurants in S.F, but they're spread out all over the city. My brother has lived in San Rafael (just north of you) for over 45 years and is an excellent guide if you should ever want to see the hotspots in town. He and his wife have been running all over creation in their motorhome (they're at an RV resort in Arizona for a month right now, heading home 2/5), but give me a shout if you'd ever like to hook up.

Anyway, I saw where you'd sold your house and were relocating. What part of town are you in? BTW, Tampa called and said it misses you. ;)

Thumper
01-26-2022, 10:35 AM
Hi Willy! Yep, ribeye is my favorite cut actually. Filet Mignon sometimes has the texture of liver to me and I usually pass, although I do like a good Porterhouse (go figure), but I hate dealing with the bone. When I dig in, I don't want to have to be delicate. It slows me down too much. :)

BarryBobPosthole
01-26-2022, 10:45 AM
I do love a ribeye, but here lately we’ve been getting some really awesome strip steaks. A hunk of KC Strip is aboutas good as it gets.

BKB

Hombre
01-26-2022, 10:57 AM
That place looks great, and Ribeye is my favorite cut as well

Thumper
01-26-2022, 11:09 AM
Well duh! Guess I had a brain fart. Lynn always orders for me (even at MacD's) and I'd forgotten that she ordered the N.Y. Strip (Or K.C. depending on where you're from) This place removes the fat cap, so I assumed it was a ribeye. I don't really prefer one over the other and like 'em both the same, TBH.

quercus alba
01-26-2022, 11:27 AM
Obviously your taste buds need to be rebooted if you rate a strip equal to a ribeye

Thumper
01-26-2022, 11:34 AM
Ribeye is usually my go-to favorite, but I don't mind a Strip at all. Kind of a "six of one, half dozen of the other" type of deal imho. TBH, I thought I'd had the ribeye until Lynn informed me it was a N.Y. Strip. Of course, at this particular restaurant, they could make an old Army boot taste good!

quercus alba
01-26-2022, 11:53 AM
I bought a ribeye one time that must have come off an old hyena and it's the only bad ribeye I've ever got. Now I've had some poorly cooked ribeye but it wasn't the meat at fault. We had a little country store than used to have trouble moving strips and would mark them down to about 2 bucks a lb and I've bought a couple of dozen over the years and never got a good one. Just an inferior cut of meat in my opinion but to each his own. As an old butcher I've tried them all and a ribeye is at the top of the list for me

Thumper
01-26-2022, 12:04 PM
I've had bad ribeye and I've had bad strips. I will say, when I do have steak, it's usually ribeye. Or, I should say, I have whatever Lynn orders for me. If she orders one over the other, there's usually a very good reason for it. EATING food is my specialty ... everything that takes place before it hits the table in front of me is her specialty ... whether it's cooking .... or ordering out. Hand me a menu and I'll stare at it blankly until she makes a suggestion ... then I fold the menu, lay it down and say, "That sounds great!" :thumbsup

Chicken Dinner
01-26-2022, 12:20 PM
Ribeye is my favorite for the grill and filet mignon is the favorite for the rest of the family. We usually compromise on strip steaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penguin
01-26-2022, 12:25 PM
For the most part I agree that there really isn't such a thing as a bad steak cut. But I prefer the Porterhouse or the ribeye.

Want to know something funny? I buy almost all of my steaks at Krogers. Usually on sale, either bulk or time sensitive. Know what usually is on sale because of time running out? Filet mignon. We never had those when we lived in Minnesota or Chicago. But here in the little town we shop at in southern WV? Close to half of the steaks we buy are filets. I think it is because there are fewer who can afford them so they run out of time more often and have to go on sale.

This is sounding better and better. Think I'll get out a big old Porterhouse and put some Kansas City rub on it and let it set for a couple days. :p

Will