PDA

View Full Version : What's the weirdest thing you've ever put on your CC ?

jb
02-15-2022, 09:23 PM
Thump post:
Been through seeing friends plan their parents funeral when they were killed accidently.
During this moment of grief, they had tons of paperwork to find, decisions to make, and still carry on their daily lives.
The funeral arrangements were the worst, not knowing what their parents wanted and a sort of hard sell by the funeral home, it was devastating to make these decisions. Then what was appropriate for their obit.
Did you know there are 3 types of cremations, different types of memorials, coffins from $3k+ to a few hundred dollars. They needed to get at least a dozen death certificates to close out bank/checking accounts, Veterans benefits, Insurance policies, car and truck titles, taxes, house ownership, SS checks stopped, mail, utilities, outstanding bills to pay, how many people they expected and what they wanted to feed them along with a lot more.
Had to come up with about 20K for the funeral, buy a plot and stone etc.
Really took a toll on them and their marriage. Parents had a living trust so they didn't need to worry about probate.
Well after watching them go through this Kay and I decided to go in and do our preplanned funeral arrangements. Funeral Home said most of their clients did this between 65 & 70 years old.
Covered everything above and more, we did not want our kids having to go through what they did.
Sort of a weird feeling doing this. My Mon did it when she turned 70 and we thought it just wasn't right but she lived another 20 years and everything was done exactly the way she wanted it. Saved me a lot of work living 200 miles away.
So back to the question, we did this through a funeral home that is owned by our friend, so no pressure, answered all our questions (over a 2 hour meeting) and left with a good feeling.
I found out the wife wasn't going to put my ashes in a urn on the night stand and she didn't want me to carry hers around in my truck, found a plot that faced West as we enjoyed sunsets more than sun rises, and a modest headstone for our ancestors to find someday. Years ago we put everything into a Living Trust, and made #2 son our Executor, and all the kids names are on our checking, saving, and investments account, but they still need a Death Cert. to close them.
Our funeral home friends asked if we had CC that cash back benefits, and said to put the funeral cost on the CC to take advantage of this, so we did. Called the CC Co. to let them know of the charge showing up just in case they flagged the 21K charge.
So that's it, one less worry to worry about. :wink

Chicken Dinner
02-16-2022, 08:52 AM
That’s good advice, JB. I’d also encourage everyone to have a medical power of attorney and to have very specific conversations with that person about your end of life issues. We lost my step mom a few weeks ago after a very short illness. Knowing in detail the specifics of her wishes was a real blessing and really eased the burden on my Dad. In a very difficult situation he was able to focus on ensuring her very specific wishes were carried out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
02-16-2022, 11:05 AM
Just went through the nightmare of having to handle my pos brother's affairs after he passed away suddenly (drank his miserable self to death) ... with absolutely ZERO preparation on his part. I could list all the b/s I've had to go through to handle his MESS, but it would be the "mother of all Thump posts".

Yes, since whatever accounts he had are more trouble than they're worth to access, they'll sit and rot. No clue where they'll end up as the hoops I'm required to go through to gain access, will cost FAR more than what would be gained (would involve hiring an attorney, etc), so ALL of his funeral/etc. expenses ended up on MY credit card. Thanks for nothing brother ... you were a miserable SOB when you were with us, and just added to it when you left. (if you haven't figured it out by now, he was a total asshole and I guess this was his last jab)

BUT ... enough of that jerk-off ... back to the subject of this post ... it would have to be paying for my buddy's hooker at the Chicken Ranch outside of Vegas after he forgot his wallet. (long story) ;)

Bwana
02-16-2022, 06:26 PM
In my way of thinking that was very thoughtful of you Bubba.

My folks did the same thing a number of years ago and though it was strange to discuss at the time, it does make a lot of sense. To add to the oddity of it, the last time we were at the farm (where my folks live) Dad said to grab my coat as he wanted to go for a drive with no further explanation. We ended up at the cemetery where he proceeded to show me where he and Mom's plots were located.

As you said, a bit strange but this way they are ensuring things are done as they want them.

As for the weirded thing I've ever charged to my CC...you win.

BarryBobPosthole
02-16-2022, 08:52 PM
I’ve never put anything like that on acard, but it sure as heck makes sense to do it. Something we need to think about too.

BKB

jb
02-16-2022, 09:04 PM
Only works if you're going to pay it off at the end of the month.