PDA

View Full Version : Olympics?

BarryBobPosthole
02-16-2022, 10:09 PM
Anyone watching? My son Dan was here this past weekend and we were watching ‘Monobob’ and I was telling him about the good old days of Wide World of Sports on Sundays with CurtGowdy, when you watched bobsled and ski jumps and there were spectacular accidents. He halfway didn’t believe me.
I’ve always loved the einter games best. Curling is cool, hockey, all the downhill stuff. I can’t relate to some of the new sports.

There’s no agony of defeat any more. I want agony!
BKB

Thumper
02-17-2022, 08:48 AM
I remember Wide World of Sports when the Daytona 500 was condensed down to a 20-minute segment (including commercials) and shown a week after the actual race. I’m old! :(

Thumper
02-17-2022, 08:52 AM
Oh, and “agony of defeat” isn’t allowed these days as it’s not p/c. Kids nowadays aren’t defeated, they just get “participation trophies”! ;)

Penguin
02-17-2022, 09:39 AM
I love the winter Olympics. Look forward to them for all 4 years between them. One of the greatest sporting spectacles in the world....

That said, after what I've seen the last two weeks? I think the world needs to put its arm around China's shoulder, gently take her aside and have an intervention.

"I know, I know. Yes it hurts... No its not fair. Yes there was some bad luck involved. We know all about it. But its not healthy sweety. You simply cannot be allowed to host another Olympics. This was a catastrophe. A debacle. And those of your friends who aren't horrified are laughing at you... Yes its true. These crazed dreams of being the showcase for all things at all times does nothing but hurt you and all those around you..."

Something like that.

Will

Chicken Dinner
02-17-2022, 12:27 PM
I typically enjoy them - particularly the skiing events and the winter bi-athalon. But, i haven’t watched more than a few minutes here or there this year. Not sure why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
02-17-2022, 01:07 PM
I miss Olympic stars like Eddie the Eagle. He was a cool one. In French class in high school I chose the name Jean Claude because I thought Jean Claude Killy was the coolest downhill racer ever. And on black and white Tv!

BKB

Thumper
02-17-2022, 02:34 PM
I miss Olympic stars like Eddie the Eagle. He was a cool one. In French class in high school I chose the name Jean Claude because I thought Jean Claude Killy was the coolest downhill racer ever. And on black and white Tv! BKB

Ha ha ha! Eddie the Eagle? I remember him as being famous for being the WORST! I always thought it was hilarious as he was super popular for losing. Weird, but it was kind'a cool in an odd way. If I remember correctly, didn't the Olympic Committee actually raise the standards after that to prevent somebody as lousy as him from even qualifying? I may be misremembering ... but it seems it was something like that. Now Jean Claude Killy, I followed, along with Mark Spitz, Michael Phelps and of course Bruce (Caitlyn?) Jenner.

But my favorites were always the women figure skaters. Peggy Fleming and that little sweetheart Nadia Comaneci with her perfect 10! I had a huge crush on Dorothy Hamill back in the day! Then there was Kristi Yamaguchi.

TBH, after those old Olympics, I pretty much lost interest and this year I've "maybe" watched a total of an hour or so of combined coverage.

BarryBobPosthole
02-18-2022, 12:54 PM
The women bobsledders are some interesting characters.

Which begs the question, how does one become a bobsledder in the first place? There are two bobsled tracks in the US and one in Canada. So I guess practice is an issue if you aren’t from Lake Placid or Park City.
Anyways, zee Germans are best at it. They have four tracks.

BKB

LJ3
02-20-2022, 02:31 PM
I typically enjoy them - particularly the skiing events and the winter bi-athalon. But, i haven’t watched more than a few minutes here or there this year. Not sure why.

k

Same for me this time around. I just had no interest.

Chicken Dinner
02-21-2022, 08:36 PM
Oofdah!

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a39161204/beijing-olympics-frozen-penis-cross-country-ski-race-remi-lindholm/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwana
02-22-2022, 12:48 PM
And that is why you should wear your union suit when its cold outside.

Thumper
02-22-2022, 01:09 PM
I just heard the Summer Olympic Games in Paris will now include break dancing. WTF???

BarryBobPosthole
02-22-2022, 04:38 PM
Whatchu got against break dancing? Other than ifyou tried it, somthing would for sure break. The sidewalk even maybe.

BKB