PDA

View Full Version : How do you separate the pepper from the fly shit?

Thumper
02-18-2022, 11:10 AM
I’ll admit, I’ve been a dinosaur when it comes to flashlights. Many years ago, I got hung up on Maglites and have never looked back. Why? Well, maybe not the best reason in the world, but because I own a bazillion of them. Multiples of 2-D cell, 3-D cell and even a monster 4-D cell. I couldn’t tell you how many of the Mini-Maglites I have lying around. I tried to update them by ordering the LED conversion bulb, but those were a total joke and a dismal failure imho. I’ve wanted to upgrade for ages, but wtf do I do with my massive collection of antique Maglites?

Anyway, I finally bit the bullet and moved into the 21st century by ordering a nice, (usb) rechargeable, LED flashlight. Nothing super special, but I didn’t want junk, so I just settled on a $25 (Energizer T1000) flashlight. I’m very happy with it so far, well … except that the on/off switch is on the end of the end-cap. It’s kind of awkward to use, but not the end of the world. I bought it for the motorhome and now I think I’ll buy one for the house.

BUT …. Back to the title of this post. While shopping for flashlights, I’ve never seen so much advertising bullshit in my life! Are there no truth in advertising laws for something like this? I mean, I can live with the “tactical flashlight” and “military grade aluminum” type claims, it’s advertising “fluff” imo. But the lumen game is ridiculous! Even the light I bought claims 1000 lumens. I call bullshit, but I am happy with the light output, so I really don’t give a rat’s ass. But the ads for these type flashlights make ridiculous claims of 50,000 lumens, 90,000 lumens, 110,000 lumens and even 125,000 lumens. Only a moron would buy into that total bullshit, but it seems to be the norm. When it comes to flashlight manufacturers, it appears it’s nothing but “my dick is bigger than your dick” claims and evidently, they’re not required to actually whip their dicks out to prove it.

quercus alba
02-18-2022, 11:22 AM
Brightest flashlight I've ever owned. Charge last up to 20 hours, can be charged 900 times and even charges your phone in a power outage. At 50 yards it's like daylight.
Costs about 30 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q61NR6D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thumper
02-18-2022, 11:32 AM
Thanks. That may be a good option for the house. I wanted something a bit more compact for the motorhome and the one I bought fits the bill. I have no real limitations for the house, so I’m pretty open to suggestions backed by personal experience. It’s obvious I can’t rely on honest advertising.

Chicken Dinner
02-18-2022, 11:50 AM
I bought this last fall for hunting and it literally turns night into day. A bit pricey and “only” 600 lumens. I can’t imagine needing more.

Ledlenser, MH10 Rechargeable Headlamp, LED Light for Outdoor Use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073LFZDSS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_4HYPN4MJFX574ER6KGSD?_enc oding=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
02-18-2022, 12:28 PM
Once whilewewere night fishing on Dogtooth I took my buddy’s tactical zillion times bright than the sun flashlight and held itnextotmy watch to see what it’d do.
You could damn near read by that watch face for about half a minute.

Science happens in the strangest places.

BKB

Penguin
02-18-2022, 01:08 PM
Ah this one brought to my mind an epic rant that I read years ago. Went on for paragraphs. Some mountain climber was going off on all of the new headlamps that he was having to sort through to find a replacement for one he'd broken.

I remember something like this: "All it has to do is come on when I want, go off when I want, and allow me see things around me when it is dark!"

I think the fact that you had to cycle through 9 different modes to turn it off is what set the fire under him. It was funny as hell and I am sitting here smiling at that old memory you brought back. :p

Will

Thumper
02-18-2022, 02:15 PM
Willie, that is a pet peeve of mine also. The one I purchased only has two options, low and high. Does anybody really use the strobe light function found on most of these things? Or SOS? I saw one that had 6 different functions and like your guy, who the F wants to cycle through all of those settings just to turn their light off and on?

Of course, it could just be my curmudgeoness. Lynn still makes fun of my gripe from years ago. I’d bitch and moan to high heaven about all the “garbage” they started putting into cell phones. I’d say “I bought a frigging PHONE! I just want to make and receive phone calls. Is that too much to ask??!!”

These days I’d be lost without phone, Internet, voice mail, messaging, camera, various apps. etc. etc. etc. :)

BarryBobPosthole
02-18-2022, 03:46 PM
Headlamps and hat lights and flashlights are all horses of a different color! I have a really strong spotlight in the boat and the only thingI’ve debated is changing over to a cordless battery powered one. so far, no compelling reason to spend the bucks. In the headlamp world, i don’t use one so I don’t own one. hat lights are another story. I’ve used several different kinds for many hours, and the little cheap one Browning makes are the best bamg for the buck. Three position switch for white green or off. Easy peasy japanesy and cheap enough to keep spares all around. I have a nighttime grilling hat that has one I use all the time.

BKb

Thumper
02-18-2022, 04:42 PM
I have a couple of cheap headlamps (I never wear hats/caps), but as you say, “horse of a different color”. Mine are basically cheap disposables, if they break, no tears lost. Those little hat lights are great for fishing or knitting in the dark. I assume that’s what you usually use yours for. ;)

The one CD posted above is way above my pay grade.

My biggest gripe is all the b/s lumen claims. Do ANY flashlight manufacturers advertise truthful specs?

Chicken Dinner
02-18-2022, 05:54 PM
I’m scared of the things that go bump in the dark. So, I’ll at least see what’s gonna get me with that pricey head lamp.

DeputyDog
02-18-2022, 06:49 PM
I was always a fan of the mag lites too. The rechargeable ones were standard issue for years.

Then we switched to the Streamlight Stinger DS LED.

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/stinger-ds-led

It has a power button on the head and end cap and it does have the strobe effect when you double tap the power button. I have really gotten to like them. They are a lot brighter than any mag lite ever was. It’s nice and light and fits right in your back pocket. I do miss the extra weight of the mag lite though because they came in handy as an impact weapon.

Thumper
02-18-2022, 07:54 PM
Oh yeah, I've looked at the Stinger and it's ideal for police work, but I'm looking for a simple utility flashlight for general home use. I don't want junk, but will spring for a decent light in the $25 -$35 range. I think that's fine for what I'd use it for. The Energizer I just bought seems to pretty much fit the bill, but I wouldn't mind trying something else for comparison. The one I bought will be relegated to the motorhome. Now I'd like buy a duplicate (or something similar) for the house.

https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Flashlight-Accessories-Ultra-Durable-Flashlights/dp/B07RX1W7W7/ref=asc_df_B07RX1W7W7/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385149611662&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17285891438916702468&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012162&hvtargid=pla-889234885167&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=85368089184&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385149611662&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17285891438916702468&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012162&hvtargid=pla-889234885167

BarryBobPosthole
02-18-2022, 09:52 PM
For around thehouse I just have four or five of the little two cell mag lites stashedhither and yon. Not the skinny ones, the little fat ones. Our power hardly ever goes out here but that’s what they’re for. Its Oklahoma.

That said, if I had to lay my hands on one wuickly, itmoght take a long ponder to remember exactly where hither and yon is. Such is age.

BKb

airbud7
02-18-2022, 10:00 PM
I use Ryobi tools exclusively and the flashlights they make are awesome!

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51c630phBqL._AC_SY450_.jpg

https://images.thdstatic.com/productImages/5d5ac6ba-4066-4b6f-86f1-a1ef53ad9cd4/svn/ryobi-jobsite-lighting-p717-64_300.jpg