PDA

View Full Version : Ukraine

Hombre
02-23-2022, 07:44 PM
Just looking at the map of the military positioning of Russia around the Ukraine gives me chills. I can't imagine what Joe normal must feel right now sitting in his house in Kyiv, reading every day that "invasion is imminent". How do you protect your family, will there be food or water available? In the US we get 3 inches of snow and everyone freaks out runs to the store and empties out the toilet paper, and canned goods.

Chicken Dinner
02-23-2022, 08:14 PM
It really does put all our problems of the day into perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
02-23-2022, 08:44 PM
I don’t know what to make of it. Lots of chickens coming home to roost with Ukraine. Let’s hope NATO doesn’t flinch when it comes to the nut cutting.
BkB

Hombre
02-23-2022, 08:57 PM
Agree CD.

BBP - I don't know enough about the conflict to say whether it's warranted. I was really only commenting from the common family with 0 control over what happened, or is happening

BarryBobPosthole
02-23-2022, 09:16 PM
Me neither. But most people won’t think of the families. Most will think of how it affects them.

BKB

DeputyDog
02-23-2022, 09:46 PM
Does anyone else think that If the West allows Russia to take over part of Ukraine, China will decide to make a move on Taiwan?

Hombre
02-23-2022, 10:14 PM
I would certainly say they are watching and will adapt plans based on our and other responses to this.

Thumper
02-23-2022, 10:46 PM
Well, gas and grocery prices are through the roof right now. Our IRA lost $22,000 last month and our broker said February isn’t looking any better. I’d be better off putting everything into our savings account at .000001% interest. The Ukraine thing is just adding to the chaos. I sure hope Sleepy Joe and NATO grow some huge balls and actually address this bullshit in a way that sends a message to that KGB spin-off.

airbud7
02-24-2022, 12:27 AM
Hey, Look on the bright side, no more mean Tweets.

Let's Go Brandon

Penguin
02-24-2022, 08:53 AM
A lot of US politicians are losing (one of their many unscrupulous) meal tickets... And their constituents are tired of war and don't seem willing to see more blood spilled in some faraway land they can't find on a map.

That about cover it?

Ukraine is a basket case. I doubt Putin wants to take over as their sponsor. But Russia has a population problem. They want to keep as many of them alive and well as possible. They're not going to let a couple million Russians in Ukraine get slaughtered or run off.

PS: We have the dumbest diplomatic and global strategy elites on planet earth. I'm serious, we do.

FooBang
02-24-2022, 01:31 PM
Does anyone else think that If the West allows Russia to take over part of Ukraine, China will decide to make a move on Taiwan?

Taiwan is dead meat.

FooBang
02-24-2022, 01:32 PM
Do you honestly think the orange menace would stop fellating Putin to stand up to him on Ukraine. I'm telling y'all. The piss tapes are real. Putin's got something over his head.

Chicken Dinner
02-24-2022, 01:34 PM
Finally, a voice of reason!

Hombre
02-24-2022, 01:50 PM
Do you honestly think the orange menace would stop fellating Putin to stand up to him on Ukraine. I'm telling y'all. The piss tapes are real. Putin's got something over his head.

No, and this started long before the current administration. That being said I can be a pretty big F-up at times and I don't think I could plan and execute the level of F-up the current administration has and on this timeline. A bit over a year is truly and accomplishment. I could probably of done it in 4 though :D

Penguin
02-24-2022, 02:53 PM
What I want to know is if the upper management of the State Dept and Pentagon have a weekly poker game. If so can I sit in?

Pretty please?

Will

BarryBobPosthole
02-24-2022, 03:25 PM
The only thing people want Biden to do is stop Putin from invading with absolutely no threats to any American’s life and not a single penny rise in the price of gasoline and no drop in their 401ks.
Simple you know. Like Trump did in Syria.
BKB

Hombre
02-24-2022, 05:32 PM
I'm with you that as Americans we should expect inflation and gas prices to go up as a result of this conflict. It the minimum we can do, as a deterent to what will undoubtedly be a lot of pain and suffering. And, it should be well before we even contemplate putting any American lives in harms way. I also think early admin decisions like shutting down the keystone pipeline and reducing the us energy independence should be revisited under current conditions

BarryBobPosthole
02-24-2022, 06:10 PM
Keystone Pipeline is to move Canadian oil to the gulf instead of through the pristine wilderness of BC. It does nothing for American production.
It doesn’t increase our ability to buy more Canadian oil either. Andfinally, read up on refining tar sands oil. It ain’t pretty.

And FyI, according to the EIA, we’ll set anotherrecord also in 2023 for oil production in the US. The noise about leases and the Ieystone XL is just that: noise.
BKB

chadwimc1
02-24-2022, 06:57 PM
Well, biden responded...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkP_ou1CzhU

Hombre
02-24-2022, 08:34 PM
I thought it was going to the gulf to hit refineries and read somewhere that it was as much as 900,000 barrels or something to that extent. That Turdeau fellas shouldn't of been so upset then, has anyone let him know he wouldn't have sold anymore oil?

BarryBobPosthole
02-24-2022, 09:52 PM
It would get to the gulf to hit the world market. Yes it’d be refined in our refineries in the gulf. I guess if someone wanted to makeca case for buy ‘North American” there could be a case made. It doesn’t reduce our reliabce on foreign oil, just moves it to a close foreign country.

BKb

FooBang
02-24-2022, 11:41 PM
Russia's getting their asses handed to them. Granted, they'll do fine and "win" no problem, but they're taking plenty of unnecessary casualties..
Sloppy. Looks like the keystone cops.

Found this today, btw..

Penguin
02-25-2022, 09:14 AM
I'm serious about the poker thing...

quercus alba
02-25-2022, 11:28 AM
Hillary gives Biden a pass on Russian aggression, points finger at Trump

I saw this headline and my first thought was, I despise the whole damn bunch. Politicians are the lowest form of life there is

Hombre
02-25-2022, 11:53 AM
Hillary gives Biden a pass on Russian aggression, points finger at Trump

I saw this headline and my first thought was, I despise the whole damn bunch. Politicians are the lowest form of life there is

Hillary should move on, it's been 5 years. Trump literally lived rent free in her head for the last 5 years.

Chicken Dinner
02-25-2022, 12:08 PM
On an individual level (not talking politics), they are two of the least likable people in the world. They deserve each other.

Hombre
02-25-2022, 12:36 PM
totally agree. I don't think you can have two people that think more highly of themselves and blame others for their failures

Hombre
02-25-2022, 01:35 PM
People sometimes amaze me in a good way. Both Klitschko brothers (HWY champions in boxing), and are from the Ukraine, have vowed to stay and take up arms in defense of their country. Both are likely worth $100M and could likely easily just flee.

DeputyDog
02-25-2022, 02:19 PM
I saw that Formula 1 has said that they will not hold the race in Russia this year because of the invasion of Ukraine.

BarryBobPosthole
02-25-2022, 04:12 PM
I heard it wasn’t Russkies invading and that most of them were Antifa.

BKB

johnboy
02-25-2022, 11:12 PM
Our 'leaders' are either criminally insane or criminally corrupt. Perhaps both.

johnboy
02-25-2022, 11:23 PM
Or maybe they're just fucking stupid. Whichever, we are all going to pay for it. What a colossal fuckup.

Penguin
02-26-2022, 08:54 AM
Submitted w/o comment. :p

johnboy
02-26-2022, 03:55 PM
Can't, for the life of me, figure out what Putins long game is. He is not stupid, he is corrupt but is he insane? What does he hope to achieve with this assault?

I know a lot of people of Ukranian descent, as many settled in the western provinces years ago and they can be very stubborn people. It's almost impossible to know what is actually happening over there as nothing on MSM or social media can be trusted but maybe Pootin has a tiger by the tail.

Guess we are living in interesting times.

BarryBobPosthole
02-26-2022, 04:18 PM
The only thing I can figure is he is trying to put Humpty, aka USSR, back together again. And this time the ones with economic base.

He’ll profit from the price jump of oil that he created, and a lot will dependif he can find markets for his oil and gas. I think he’s banking on the West not holding firm on sanctions because of the political cost of how much it hits Western pocketbooks. I’m afraid he may be riht.

BKB

johnboy
02-26-2022, 04:24 PM
Me too. Eastern Canada imports a huge amount of Russian oil to our east coast refineries. All attempts to move western Can. oil to those refineries via pipeline have been blocked. Our sanctions against Rus. are on EXPORTS not IMPORTS (oil). Makes my head hurt.

BarryBobPosthole
02-26-2022, 05:19 PM
No pun intended but those tar sands oil deposits are a tar baby. Too rich to ignore, but so dirty its a NIMBY issue for most everyone outside of the area.
Aquestion I’ve always wondered about: Does getting it to he Pacific Coast do no good? I think much of the bitumen refining capacity is on the Gulf Coast isn’t it?
BKB

BarryBobPosthole
02-26-2022, 06:35 PM
And back to the Rooskies, do you think Putin counted on getting booted from SWIFT? He’s looking at North Korea here pretty quick.

BKB

Penguin
02-26-2022, 06:46 PM
Putin told the world what he would do and why he would do it. Exactly. He ain't letting NATO move right next door. Period. Especially when the country in question is arguably the most corrupt nation on the planet.

We've done the same thing. My father spent weeks in Cuba over the threat of missile bases being placed there. I don't blame him.

Here's a hint for the State Dept: Negotiation beats the hell out of having a toothless bluff called. And negotiation does not mean that anything the other side might want is a non-starter. Children and bullies all of them.

I still say no one should be allowed to hold office unless they've had at least one knock down drag out fight.. That they lost. Part of being an adult is understanding that true peace is only possible when both parties come from a position of strength and security.

And btw, who exactly could believe we have the means to win a war over there? Unless it has escaped notice we never got around to firing all the failed generals who just got whipped in Afghanistan. You want to take on Russia with that trifling bunch running the show? Over Ukraine?

Christ.

Thumper
02-26-2022, 08:39 PM
And btw, who exactly could believe we have the means to win a war over there? Unless it has escaped notice we never got around to firing all the failed generals who just got whipped in Afghanistan. You want to take on Russia with that trifling bunch running the show? Over Ukraine?

Christ.

Ummmm, you DO realize the same Russian generals in the Ukraine today, couldn’t accomplish anything in Afghanistan in 10 years of fighting, correct? From what I’ve read so far, the Russian troops in Ukraine right now are running around like the Keystone Cops. Their goal should have been accomplished by now, but they’re being held back by citizens with shotguns. I see no way Russia won’t eventually prevail without outside help for Ukraine, but I think no matter what, Putin’s military will face a major embarrassment. I read an article today about a Russian tank stuck on a Ukrainian highway because it ran out of fuel. The citizens asked the tank crew if they needed a tow truck! The tank crew said they actually didn’t even know why they were there!

DeputyDog
02-26-2022, 09:14 PM
Hate to break it to you Thump but the Russians were in Afghanistan 40 years ago. I doubt many of those generals are still active.

Thumper
02-26-2022, 09:49 PM
Hate to break it to you Thump but the Russians were in Afghanistan 40 years ago. I doubt many of those generals are still active.

Figuratively, it wasn’t meant literally, I’m saying today’s Russian Generals are no better than yesterday’s Generals as far as I know.

DeputyDog
02-26-2022, 09:50 PM
Ok. I know how time slips by once a person gets older. [emoji12]

Thumper
02-26-2022, 10:00 PM
Read my lips …. BITE ME! ;)

chadwimc1
02-26-2022, 10:25 PM

Penguin
02-27-2022, 08:06 AM
Read my lips …. BITE ME! ;)