PDA

View Full Version : Déjà vu

Thumper
03-02-2022, 09:54 AM
This Ukrainian mess brings back many childhood memories. I was going to make this a big-time Thump post, but I'll spare you dufebutts. I remember much of it like it was just yesterday although I was too young to really understand all that was going on. Now, use your imagination and switch places with a few of the players. Let's imagine the evil Putin and his empire as the United States and little Ukraine as Cuba in the very early 60's. If you know the history (which I emersed myself in about 25 or so years ago) of the Cuban Missile Crisis, you can draw an awful lot of parallels. I've written many times of my VERY close Navy SEAL buddy and I have to admit, he was the impetus for my becoming more involved with brushing up on my history of that time, other than my childhood memories of fighter jets and B-52 bombers flying so low, they practically took the roof off our house as they were relocating. (B-52's out, fighter jets in) I didn't really understand enough of what was going on at the time (I was 9-10 years old), but I do remember the adults in the family (grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc) being a bit nervous, but I was just excited to run out of the house to watch the fighters and bombers fly over close enough for me to see the crew through the windscreens.

My SEAL buddy? He's older than me. He was UDT before Pres. Kennedy (a Navy man himself) pushed through establishing a Navy version of Army and Marine Special Forces. My buddy went from UDT to SEAL training and was on the very first SEAL team established. Actually, a member of SEAL Team 2 as SEAL Team 1 was based on the West coast (California) and SEAL Team 2 was based on the East coast (Virginia). It took years of knowing him before I ever got him to talk about any of his missions and I was all ears when I finally coaxed him to open up. The real irony was, once we talked, we found out we had worked a couple of the same missions in Vietnam, at the same time, but never knew each other at that time. Anyway, his friendship and hearing of his missions kindled my interest in the Bay of Pigs era, including the Cuban Missile Crisis. Regarding the Bay of Pigs, his 6-man team had been dumped of by a submarine off of Cuba and they were to move in once the exiles made their landings, but if you know the history, all Hell broke loose and his team had to be extracted by sub back to Florida.

Anyway, if you have any interest at all, you may want to dig around a bit and check out the history of The Bay of Pigs, then Operation Mongoose and on to the actual Cuban Missile Crisis. I think my buddy may have moved on to Africa after that to go chase Che Guevara. He had all that under his belt before I headed to 'Nam as a snotty-nosed kid to share a few missions with him. He's kind'a my hero if you couldn't tell by now.

Oh, another interesting read (my buddy turned me onto this years ago, as I had no clue), check out a Russian dude named Vaski Arkhipov and his role in the Cuban Missile Crisis. Talk about an unsung hero! I've seen references to WWIII with Putin's saber rattling, but Arkhipov probably single-handedly prevented WWIII way back in 1962! (long before Stanislav Petrov)

Penguin
03-02-2022, 12:28 PM
I remember my dad telling me about bobbing around on the ocean for a couple weeks in some pretty stormy weather. Waiting for the orders to invade Cuba. Told me that after a few days most of his Marine company would have gladly invaded just to get onto solid ground again. :p

He also told me about the talk he had with his NCO after it was over. He was trying to figure out whether to reenlist or not. The guy told him that there was a mess coming down the line that he had bad feeling about. Dad got out and his friend was killed in Vietnam a few years later.

I wonder if your buddy knew Dick Marcinko. I remember reading his book 'Rogue Warrior' way back in college and thinking that he must have been completely insane.

Will

Thumper
03-02-2022, 01:00 PM
Marcinko was also in SEAL Team 2. He joined the team about 5 years after the Bay of Pigs, so I'm sure they knew each other. It's been a while since we talked anyway, so I need to give him a shout. Note: Looks like Marcinko passed away just a couple months ago ... on Christmas Day.

FooBang
03-02-2022, 06:15 PM
I remember my dad telling me about bobbing around on the ocean for a couple weeks in some pretty stormy weather.

You reminded me of a time I got a ride on an LPD for some mission or another. The LPD had just come across the Sea of Japan through a cyclone. Stepping onto the ship, (and I am not exaggerating), there was hardly a patch of deck or bulkhead that wasn't covered on the outside that used to be from somebody's inside. The scuttlebutts.. Everything. Ew.

Now, we had to head back out there. The storm had largely passed, but the seas were choppy.. I've never had sea sickness before or since, but I gotta tell you, when the ship did those weird angles in the swells, man-o-man. I left my position more than once to go outside and get a look at the horizon.

Here's my own handsome self on that particular mission, as we were about to head out to pass through the gauntlet.

Now, I'd prefer it if y'all kept your catcalling to yourselves. I took a risk of posting such a swarthy photo and I trust youse dufes can handle yourselves appropriately.

Penguin
03-03-2022, 09:02 AM
Are you kidding? That's a great photo. You ought to see some of mine from that age. I can't make fun of you for getting queasy.... I've never been on anything bigger than a canoe. :o

Will

Thumper
03-03-2022, 10:00 AM
I've been on every size boat from a raft to an aircraft carrier and only been seasick ONE time in my life. But I will admit, it was a Pacific deep sea fishing trip with a few buddies. We worked all day Friday, went to the marina after work and boarded the boat. We sailed all night while we played poker and drank like fish. The next morning, we hit our mark and anchored for some fishing. Working all day and drinking all night was NOT a good combination when it came to anchoring and bobbing around like a cork. I did manage to get a bit of fishing under my belt, but spent most of the day filling the chum bucket! I don't really know, does that qualify as seasickness? :friday

Lynn, on the other hand, gets seasick just LOOKING at a boat! Of course, the bigger the boat the better. She's only had a problem on a couple of cruises, but Dramamine took care of the problem.

Thumper
03-03-2022, 10:03 AM
Willie, that is actually a GREAT photo of the old FooBang, problem is, he was STILL fugly! :hair

BarryBobPosthole
03-03-2022, 07:27 PM
Y’all mean the baby squid?

BKB