PDA

View Full Version : Dayummmmm!

Thumper
03-03-2022, 08:16 PM
Lynn and I used to wear jewelry back in the 80's ... nothing super special, but not junk either. TBH, I couldn't tell you the last time either of us wore jewelry. Granted, she'll wear some earrings once in a while and maybe a small necklace, but nothing terribly fancy. Well, last night I was digging around our linen closet and pulled out an old jewelry box. I dumped it out on the bed and we dug through it, then had some sort of memory to go with almost every piece. There were some pieces we didn't even remember having and there were also a few broken chains that I thought we'd thrown away years ago! I even found a ring an old girlfriend gave me when I was a junior in high school! Anyway, we decided to pick out what we wanted to keep. She's MUCH more sentimental than I am, so she kept quite a few pieces, but I really had no use for hardly any of it personally. Well, I told her we should drag the crap into a jewelry store and see if we can get anything for it. Heck, most of it has been sitting around gathering dust for 35 years or so, so why not? Dang! We took it to a store in St. Pete that I'd done business with before when I sold some stuff I'd picked up at various estate sales and they seemed to be pretty straight shooters. We walked in, dumped our little box on the counter and asked 'em what it was worth. They gave us an appraisal, then Lynn got a bit sentimental over a couple pieces I'd given her years ago, so she kept them and the store deducted the amount from the total. CRAP! That old junk brought $10K before she snagged a piece or two! I think I'm gonna go on a treasure hunt and check all our dresser drawers, nooks and crannies, etc. to see if we have any loose pieces we left behind! It was a fun and "profitable" day and I won't miss any of it! I see some motorhome fuel in our not so distant future. :thumbsup

BarryBobPosthole
03-03-2022, 08:27 PM
If you’re smart you’ll put that in your RV Generator fund and not spend it. Forvthe generator you’ll be replacing soon.

BKB

Thumper
03-03-2022, 08:53 PM
If you’re smart you’ll put that in your RV Generator fund and not spend it. Forvthe generator you’ll be replacing soon.

Huh?

Thumper
03-04-2022, 08:38 AM
Dammit! I haven't stepped foot into a bank in years. Most everything is direct deposit and I do all of my banking on-line, including money movements between accounts. If I have a paper check, I use the banking app, snap a pic of the check and viola, it's deposited. Last night I tried to deposit the check above and received a message that on-line deposits are limited to $7500.00. Huh? I called the bank (Chase) and asked if the limit (which I actually was never aware of) could be raised, but was told it was fixed as a part of their fraud security. I told them I'm trying to GIVE them some money, not trying to WITHDRAW money. They informed me I'd have to visit the bank to make the deposit. WTF? Sounds like I might have to put a shirt on today. :crybaby

Penguin
03-04-2022, 09:32 AM
You gotta learn to keep that drug cartel cash separate from your legitimate business Jim. Wouldn't get hassled so much. :p

Will

Thumper
03-04-2022, 10:00 AM
You gotta learn to keep that drug cartel cash separate from your legitimate business Jim. Wouldn't get hassled so much. :p Will

Oh, I keep THOSE deposits under $10K so the automatic red flags aren't triggered. ;)

quercus alba
03-04-2022, 10:43 AM
Just sign it and mail it to me, I wouldn't want you to have to be inconvenienced. I'll buy you something nice with it

Thumper
03-04-2022, 12:22 PM
Just sign it and mail it to me, I wouldn't want you to have to be inconvenienced. I'll buy you something nice with it

It'd be our luck the mail carrier would snag it and we'd BOTH get screwed! ;)

jb
03-04-2022, 03:09 PM
That's a nice sum for a "Cash-Stash" Having it home sometimes feels better than in the bank earning .0025%

Thumper
03-04-2022, 03:40 PM
That's a nice sum for a "Cash-Stash" Having it home sometimes feels better than in the bank earning .0025%

Considering our IRA lost $22,000 in January alone and although I don’t have the figures yet, February isn’t expected to do any better, I’d have been better off having that .0025% gain! Grrrrrrrr!!! [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwana
03-07-2022, 11:30 AM
Sounds like a great way to make some coin. Good idea Thump!

LJ3
03-10-2022, 05:31 PM
Dammit! I haven't stepped foot into a bank in years. Most everything is direct deposit and I do all of my banking on-line, including money movements between accounts. If I have a paper check, I use the banking app, snap a pic of the check and viola, it's deposited. Last night I tried to deposit the check above and received a message that on-line deposits are limited to $7500.00. Huh? I called the bank (Chase) and asked if the limit (which I actually was never aware of) could be raised, but was told it was fixed as a part of their fraud security. I told them I'm trying to GIVE them some money, not trying to WITHDRAW money. They informed me I'd have to visit the bank to make the deposit. WTF? Sounds like I might have to put a shirt on today. :crybaby

USAA dufus. I gave up on telling you the last million times. One call, and it's done. Take a picture of your freaking check and the funds are available immediately.

Thumper
03-10-2022, 06:43 PM
That’s what I do dufus. Been doing it that way for years, but never knew there was a limit on the amount you could deposit that way. Take a pic of a $10,000 check, deposit it that way and let me know if your 10K is immediately available.

LJ3
03-12-2022, 12:12 PM
All you do is call USAA, tell them you're going to do it, they raise the limit, and you do it.

Thumper
03-12-2022, 05:28 PM
I've considered them a few times, but I like having a local branch to work with if needed. It was more appreciated when I had my business, as I was in the bank quite a few times a week. I avoided the drive-thru and on-line option because I got to know EVERYONE in the bank itself. I'd walk in and everybody from the branch manager to the tellers would greet me with a "Good morning Mr. Kribbs!" It was MUCH more personal. plus there were many times I'd need some sort of personal attention with paperwork, savings/retirement plans, car loans, etc. that I liked being able to walk in and sit down with a human being. When I traveled to Thailand regularly, I'd take cash with me as most places I went to were outside the large cities and credit cards were useless. The locals and businesses, including money exchange places, would not accept bills that were dirty, worn, marked, defaced, etc. and only accepted very clean, crisp or new bills. I'd call my bank and order $1000-$1500 in $20 bills and pick them up the next day.

Since retirement, I very seldom go inside a bank, but I do go in from time to time for a "free" money order, cashier's check, etc. 99.99% of what I do now is on-line, but I still like the option to walk into my bank if needed. I once tried something similar to USAA, and had my bank accounts through American Express. I didn't care at all for not having a local branch to drop into when necessary. I'm old and resistant to change. Also, I don't really know how important it is, but there's also the credit rating angle. I've been with the same bank for 33 years, so I show that stability for whatever that's worth. I know it's always shown as a factor when figuring credit rating scores.