PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Than a Bluegill...

Big Skyz
03-24-2022, 09:10 AM
Many people have owned tiger oscars and had them in their fish tanks. I had some many years ago and they are an interesting aggressive fish to raise. When I went on my recent trip to the Everglades I knew there were some living there, and that they grew to some impressive sizes. I wanted one real bad and didn't know if I would catch any or not. I need not have worried, I ended up catching dozens and dozens of them, but this one was one of the prettiest of the trip. That bright orange against the dark color of the rest of the fish is just absolutely stunning. I never got tired of catching them. They fight extremely hard and aggressively take a fly or a jig. The one big surprise is how fast they are. They are like lightening fast and usually beat any other species (including the peacock bass) to the fly or jig. They are just absolutely a cool fish!
https://i.ibb.co/Rc3DFgP/Florida-3-18-22-I.jpg

Thumper
03-24-2022, 09:32 AM
That’s cool B/S! It appears your Florida trip was a success and you were able to fill in a few more boxes on your “to-do” list. Beautiful fish. I used to have them in my aquarium … but they were a tiny bit smaller than yours! ;)

Great pic!

Big Skyz
03-24-2022, 09:36 AM
Jim, Florida was so fun that I'm home suffering from post epic trip depression this week. :D

Thumper
03-24-2022, 09:47 AM
Ha ha ha! I can see the future now, another “Northerner” headed down every winter! ;)

I’m super glad it turned out to be a good trip for you.

Bwana
03-24-2022, 10:15 AM
That is a cool looking fish for sure!

quercus alba
03-24-2022, 10:22 AM
Ha ha ha! I can see the future now, another “Northerner” headed down every winter! ;)

I believe he’s a westerner now, which btw is far superior to being a Californicator

Thumper
03-24-2022, 10:24 AM
Technicalities, technicalities! I consider anyone from above the Florida/Georgia State line, a “Northerner”! :)

Big Skyz
03-24-2022, 10:29 AM
...and technically you'd be wrong. QA is correct on this one. Besides we westerner's consider anybody east of New Mexico or Colorado as easterners with no defining line between north and south. :D

Thumper
03-24-2022, 11:31 AM
Technically, anybody outside of Florida is a “Northerner”. And if ANYONE gets snow in the winter, they’re DEFINITELY Northerners. :D

Arty
03-30-2022, 08:26 PM
when I was around 17-18 we went down to the everglades and did an airboat tour. We went over to an island and had fried alligator tail. first time for this kentucky boy and it was pretty damn good.
that said - the captain of that airboat had a pole and he every time he stopped to tell a story to us about the everglades, he would tell it while he was fishing. I bet he caught 20 Oscar in that 1 hour tour.

They sure were pretty - and some were WAY bigger than the 2 oscars my mom and dad had at home in the 50 gallon tank

Big Skyz
03-31-2022, 01:47 PM
Arty, it sounds like that tour guide had things prioritized correctly.