PDA

View Full Version : Well, that was a surprise!

Thumper
03-30-2022, 12:57 PM
Last year, I bought a little Nissan Versa to pull behind my motorhome. Heck, the things have an MSRP of under $15,000 NEW, so I didn't expect much, but it was just for transportation when we're camping. It really surprised both of us as we really like the thing and usually just hop in it to run errands, etc. Yes, it's basic transportation and we have the Highlander if we need more space with much more luxury.

Anyway, I've had it almost a year but have only logged 4000 miles on it so far. Earlier this week, I received a coupon in the mail from our local Nissan dealer, for a $9.95 oil & filter change. I figured why not? To make it even better, the dealer is probably less than 5-minutes from the house. I took it in and handed the advisor my coupon, then he gave it back to me and said it's not needed since the $9.95 is their standard charge anyway (synthetic blend). I was then informed there was a recall on the car and offered me a ride home if I wanted it and they'd pick me up when the car is ready. I told him it was no big deal and I'd wait. I proceeded to the waiting room where they had a nice lounge with a TV, free coffee, free snacks (like chips, etc) and a small fridge full of free bottled water. Throw in the free wifi and it was a fairly pleasant experience. I could see the car while it was in the shop and saw that the mechanic did a good job of checking everything over, changed the oil and filter, topped off the fluids, checked and adjusted air pressures, measured tread depth as well as brake pad wear, etc. etc. etc. A pretty thorough check for $9.95! He also took care of the recall. Evidently there was an issue with substandard turn-signal bulbs, so they changed the bulbs. The advisor reviewed the invoice with me, there was no attempt at any sort of upsell and I proceeded to the cashier to pay my bill.

Ok, now is when I was really floored! With a $9.95 oil change, I expect to have them tack on shop supplies, disposal fees, taxes, etc. etc. etc. and suddenly the $9.95 is doubled once all the fluff is added in. Nope, BOTTOM LINE ... $9.95 out the door! The real kicker? As I was standing at the cashier's counter to pay my bill, I noticed a large sign on the counter that was an apology to all customers because as of February, they had raised their price for an oil change from $6.00 to $9.95! $6.00???? WTF? Heck, I didn't even buy my car from them.

Hombre
03-30-2022, 03:34 PM
Reading this i kept thinking I wonder what it was before inflation... $6.00 WOW. I can't see how any money is made. Can you ask them what they charge for a 6.7L Turbo Diesel, it may be cheaper for me to drive from SEA to Tampa to have it changed.

Thumper
03-30-2022, 05:07 PM
No shit. I called Mercedes to see what the first service would cost on my Sprinter chassis and was quoted $325.00 (And no, that’s not a misprint) From reading the blogs, I’ve been told that’s a “GOOD” price. I call it ridiculous.

Here’s what it involves: (just looks like an oil change to me!)

Here's what's included with the A Service:

Synthetic motor oil replacement.
Oil filter replacement.
All fluid level checks.
Tire inflation check and correction.
Brake component inspection.
Reset maintenance counter.

Bwana
04-01-2022, 05:16 PM
$9.95?! That's crazy as I think that will only buy you about 2 quarts of oil at Walmart!!

Thumper
04-02-2022, 07:59 AM
And to think, a month prior, they only charged $6.00! For many years, my Toyota dealer charged $12.95 for an oil change and if you wanted a tire rotation, it was only an additional $7.00 ... so an oil change and tire rotation for $19.95. Once I got into using synthetic oil, I've lost track as to what the standard oil change costs. Plus they give me 5-years of free oil changes anyway, so I have no clue what they charge these days.

Edit: I was curious, so I went to their website and it seems the oil change price hasn't changed after all these years, but it looks like the tire rotation jumped up a couple bucks. But, unlike the Nissan dealer where $9.95 was the bottom line, Toyota does charge the tax and b/s fees. They call it a "special" on the website, but it's the standard price. Still, it's cheaper than doing it in your driveway! I looked up their charge for a synthetic oil change and it covers up to 6-quarts of oil PLUS a tire rotation for $44.95. It sounds reasonable, but I've never checked around as, so far, I've never actually paid for an oil change on any of my Toyotas.

airbud7
04-02-2022, 11:44 PM
Good Lord Thumper, I'm moving to Florida!...

I truly believe Ron DeSantis is going to be president one day!...he is one tough cookie.

Thumper
04-03-2022, 07:31 AM
Well, I'm not sure if that whole post is supposed to be related or not, but DeSantis has nothing to do with it. When I had my business, I had a fleet of 6 Toyota pick-ups and serviced them religiously every 3 months, The $12.95 oil change they have now, is the same it was in the late 80's when I started my business. I have no idea when they started it, but I've been here for 33 years and it's the same price now as when I moved here, long before DeSantis. And speaking of DeSantis, he's a lot like Trump ... he does a lot of good, but in many ways, he's also a major dumbass. Yet, like Trump, I voted for him in order to vote against the "other guy".