PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info here.

Thumper
04-03-2022, 10:15 AM
I don't recall anyone here mentioning electric bicycles. My brother (who's lived in Northern Kalifornia most of his life) told me about his electric bike probably 5 years ago and went on and on about how cool they are and how much fun they are. He and his wife travel extensively in their motorhome and always have their bikes with them. I pretty much ignored him and wrote it off as just one more indication that he's taken quite a few sips of that California Kool-aide. BUT ... since we've had the motorhome, I've witnessed more and more people using the things and they're becoming really popular. In the motorhome world, they mount them on a rack on the back and pull them off for local transportation or exploring nature trails, etc. wherever they end up camping. Due to my back issues, I'm VERY limited to how far I can walk and even though I own a conventional bicycle, it causes a ton of pain to ride, mostly due to the pedaling motion required. I've recently become more interested in these ebikes and finally reached the point I'm pretty excited about wanting to own one (two actually, so Lynn and I can ride together). I've recently been checking them out on-line, as well as at various dealers and am REAL close to pulling the trigger on a couple of them. They're pricey SOB's, that's for sure, but I've found what is considered a "low cost", good quality unit for Lynn and a COMPARATIVELY low cost unit for myself.

Does anybody here have experience with ebikes? Any hints, clues or suggestions are welcomed.

Big Skyz
04-04-2022, 10:24 AM
My oldest son has one and absolutely loves it. I rode it a few weeks ago while visiting him. I was amazed at how quite they are. Also they go plenty fast enough to get you in trouble if you don't use some common sense. I don't know if I'm ready to drop $5000-$6000 on one like he did, but he sure loves it. If you'd like first hand information from him I'm sure he'd be glad to talk to you. Just lemme know.

Thumper
04-04-2022, 05:01 PM
Thanks Sky. Sounds like he's a SERIOUS ebiker! I'm starting off in a lower bracket, $2K for mine and 1.2K for Lynn's. Of course, like anything else, throw a few options in and a decent rack (plus taxes, etc) and it'll still be in the 4k-4.5K range once the dust settles. Pricey little toys, for sure. I talked to my brother last night and he's running around S. America right now (was in Peru last night). He's returning home Wednesday, so I'll be picking his brain once he gets settled in. He also hauls his around on the back of his motorhome, which is what I plan on doing, so his experience should be helpful.

Big Skyz
04-05-2022, 11:26 AM
Jim if you don't follow a channel called Newstate Nomads on YouTube you should. They have an RV very similar to yours. Might even be the same model. They live the life I would love to live traveling all over the country. They just barely added e-bikes to their adventures. So far they really like them. I can about guarantee if you watch just a few of their videos you'll be hooked. Personally I like their stateside stuff better than their trip to Italy, but then again, Europe just does not personally interest me.

Thumper
04-05-2022, 11:44 AM
I follow a bazillion different RV'ers on YouTube as they're very informative and I learn a LOT from them. I also learn from their mistakes so that I (hopefully) won't make them myself. I'll add Newstate Nomads to my follow list. Thanks B/S!

I'm with you. I have travelled quite a bit there but, like you, Europe doesn't really do it for me. I've been to all the continents but one (Australia/Oceania) and, of course, Asia is my favorite. I've been extremely close to pulling the trigger on an Australia/New Zealand trip a half dozen times, but something else always came up to make me put it on the back burner. I'll get it done some day, but for now, there's still plenty of North America I wouldn't mind getting up close and personal with and the motorhome route is the best way to do it. :thumbsup

Big Skyz
04-05-2022, 12:00 PM
Australia and New Zealand are on my bucket list as well. I don't know if it will ever happen, but if everything aligned just right I'd certainly go. I would also like to see Tahiti and Thailand. A trip back to South Korea wouldn't hurt my feelings either. However, right now, I'm just trying to come up with a way to go back to Florida again asap. I had a blast and the only thing I regret is that I didn't allow for more time. That is a mistake I won't make twice. I could never live there, but what a great place to visit!!!

Thumper
04-06-2022, 06:09 PM
Well B/S, whenever you're ready for that Thailand trip, I happen to know a very good guide you could take along with you! ;)

Actually, I generally fly Delta and they hold most of my flyer points (they never expire like many of the other airlines). They also partner with Korean Air. On 90% of my Thailand trips, I'd take Delta to Atlanta, then take Korean Air to Bangkok, with a stop at Incheon International. A few times I'd stay in Seoul for a couple days before continuing on to Thailand. It was always a regular flight option, so if you ever make that trip, you may want to check in to that particular flight and kill two birds with one stone! (Assuming they still allow extended layovers)

Chicken Dinner
04-06-2022, 07:14 PM
I’m down to Antarctica as far as continents go. Just got to figure out how to get there and have somebody else pay for it.[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
04-07-2022, 02:15 PM
This thread makes me think of electric cars. Electric cars will be a viable market when they become something that people want. Like electric bicycles, for instance. And no amount of incentives or yakking about it will change that simple fact.
Its like 55 Chevies. They’d be the most impractical thing ever, but if Chevy made one today, I’d buy one tomorrow.
BKB

Thumper
04-07-2022, 04:54 PM
'55 was my favorite! I'd LOVE to have a '55 resto-mod.

BarryBobPosthole
04-07-2022, 06:27 PM
I wonder how many electric Nomads they’s sell?
You could pack a lot of battery andit could make a hell of a cruiser.
BKB

quercus alba
04-07-2022, 06:43 PM
I've got a buddy that's buying a Ryobi electric zero turn mower, 38 hp. Supposed to be able to mow 4-5 acres on a charge. Only down side is you'll need a specialized mechanic with a doctorate in electrical engineering to work on it

Thumper
04-07-2022, 06:45 PM
He's getting a head start. Gas mowers are being banned in California.

Thumper
04-07-2022, 07:07 PM
P-hole, I have a buddy in California who owns a '57 Corvette and a '57 Cameo pick-up (he likes glass cars!). We used to build custom cars together and he later opened an upholstery shop and I signed on as his employee. We handled only high dollar, classic cars. I eventually moved on with my career, but he remained in business and became a very well-known figure within the classic car restoration circles. Here's a pic of his 'Vette (I don't have a pic of his Cameo)

I also have a buddy (also in California) with a '57 Nomad. We're still good friends and in fact, we were supposed to meet up in Maine a few months ago but he ended up hospitalized and we had to cancel our plans at the last minute. I still remember the day his wife took his immaculate Nomad to the neighborhood grocery store and was rear-ended while sitting at a stop-light. There was major damage (caved in the whole back end), but he rebuilt that car and still has it.

http://www.goodhunting.info/showthread.php?14127-Well-dang!&highlight=maine+jeep+jamboree

But, my all-time favorite and something I never checked off my bucket list, is a '55 Bel Air. :(

DeputyDog
04-08-2022, 10:05 PM
I actually spoke to a guy yesterday at a bar while we’re down in Siesta Key who is an electrician for Ford. He was talking about the future plan is to build roads that charge the electric cars as they drive over it.

Thumper
04-08-2022, 10:19 PM
That sounds kind of cool Deppity. But I sure hope they maintain those systems. I’d hate for one to short out or have a scuff on the insulation, then me get a shocker crossing the road during a rain storm! Electricity kinda creeps me out sometimes.

Dang dude, it’s Spring already? Here you are again and I STILL haven’t pulled all that cast iron out of storage! :(

We’re leaving this weekend for Hilton Head Island. Will be back Friday. How long will you be here this time?

DeputyDog
04-08-2022, 10:26 PM
We are leaving on Sunday morning. We actually flew down this time and didn’t have a vehicle for the majority of the trip. We only rented a car for the first couple of days. We are staying right on the island and can walk to everywhere we needed to get.

Thumper
04-08-2022, 10:34 PM
Dang it! I’m a bozo! There’s always next year! Sorry dude. The time just got away from me. :(

DeputyDog
04-08-2022, 10:36 PM
Once we decided to fly I didn’t even bother to get ahold of you. I knew I wouldn’t be able to make it up your way and we played it really close on the weight for the checked bag. [emoji16]

Thumper
04-08-2022, 10:48 PM
Ha ha ha! Yeah, I’d guess cast iron would be a little bit of a challenge with weight limits! Maybe next year! ;)