PDA

View Full Version : Trip report coming

Hombre
04-13-2022, 03:13 PM
Having too much fun, will report back later :)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220413/c0e392eaca85729252ea1262fe744492.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

airbud7
04-14-2022, 08:24 AM
Yee Haw!....I love y'all's trip reports!!!

Stay safe!

Chicken Dinner
04-14-2022, 10:37 AM
This ought to be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
04-14-2022, 10:46 AM
I foresee an upcoming slaughter!

airbud7
04-14-2022, 11:04 AM
Bacon?....I love bacon.

BarryBobPosthole
04-14-2022, 12:02 PM
Porcine air assault.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
04-14-2022, 01:39 PM
Beau is either leaving us hanging or he went to “shoot” and the hogs ate him.

Hombre
04-14-2022, 07:17 PM
Still here, will update tomorrow

Hombre
04-15-2022, 11:30 AM
I'll start this out by saying there's just something special about getting out to a remote area where there's minimal people and those that are there their life revolves around being in the outdoors. Time just seems to slow down, and its one of those rare moments where you really seem to get that recharge that is needed by all of us that go 100 miles and hour. We've had a lot going on in our life renovating 3 houses at the same time, and I don't think I realized just how hectic and stressed I've been.

The trip started in San Angelo Texas on a 1700 acre high fence ranch about 15 miles outside of town. This ranch had everything. There was two sporting clay ranges, a wobble trap, and two rifle ranges, one was 300 yards and the other had a 1 mile shot. We arrived the first day and were welcomed by the GM, helicopter pilot and our general guide. All were just great people and the GM took us through a quick safety program. After that we had a little lunch and the helicopter pilot stopped back in to ask if we wanted to do a test run for tomorrow. He thought it'd be a good idea to go up in the copter and practice reloading, safety, etc before tomorrow's hunt. I'm not a fan of hights and this was no exception. When the helicopter took off I was pretty uneasy. For the test runs they only load each clip with 5 rounds. This is on purpose to get the feel for reloading in a helicopter, and clearing jams in the air. The first place we flew was "the pit" it was a small rock pit that had junk washer, dryers, and general house items in it. We hovered there for a few minutes and just took shots. The the pilot said we're going to run the range, go hot. We flew through about 15 metal silhouette targets banking in and out, hovering at times and taking shots...it was a blast and by now I'd forgotten we were even in the air. Next we flew fast over a wheat field that had 15-20 balloons tied to sticks and shot at those on the move. We ended up with 8 popped. It was a great start.

The next morning we decided we'd leave at 6am, earlier than usual because the wind was suppose to hit 50mph that day and the pilot felt we needed to beat that. The set up they used on this day was a 2 team copter and a small prop plane that landed right on the road we were on. The prop plane scouts from high an we're all connected via mics to communicate. We took off and our pilot, new to me, said "this is my first time doing this" which I replied with "excuse me flying?" he said no he has 1000s o hours flying but the first time with this operation...whew!. The first 20 minutes started out slow and then I saw one. We positioned and took our shots and got the first kill of the day, about a 200lbs boar. On our first run I think we got 4. The next group went up and we could here them over the mics and they had found a group of 19, it sounded like absolute war. The average is about 10 shots per pig. They came back in and we went back out. We got into multiple groups this next time and killed over 30, our total for the trip was 71. Our last flight that wind had picked up and I'd say it was about 30 mph, and it made a difference, the pilot wanted to go back in and I wasn't going to argue.

We went back to the lodge grabbed a bite to eat and the GM came over and asked if we'd like to go shoot the sporting clays range. On the sporting clays range I had a bit of trouble, I wasn't paying enough attention to my first shot and seemed to always drop the first target then pick up the next 3. I ended up shooting a 41/50 and that got me second, and ensured a lot of trash talking from number 1 who shot a 44/50. After that we headed back to the lodge and had some dinner and decided it'd be nice to drive through the high fence ranch. They had a suburban that the top was cut off and we all loaded up with a few of our favorite beverages. We took about an hour drive seeing zebra, red stag, all kinds of sheep and other animals. I'm not a fan of a high fence hunt but seeing the animals was cool.

Overall it was just an awesome trip, and one I'd do again. The guns they provided were top notch, ar15 Daniels Defense and suppressed. We did a lot and it was constant entertainment but it was also very relaxing.

quercus alba
04-15-2022, 08:13 PM
Maybe you could go to Florida and help Thump thin out his cat herd

Hombre
04-15-2022, 08:37 PM
Maybe you could go to Florida and help Thump thin out his cat herd

I'd like nothing more than to meet up with Thump again, but I'm not getting anywhere close to cats....they're from the underworld

BarryBobPosthole
04-16-2022, 09:20 AM
Sounds like a good time! That’s a lot of hogs if you think of how often they probably do those hunts.

BKB

Hombre
04-16-2022, 10:01 AM
Ya there's lots of them. They can reproduce at 3 months and have 2 litters a year up to 10 piglets

Chicken Dinner
04-17-2022, 08:58 AM
That’s what I call makin’ bacon!

BarryBobPosthole
04-17-2022, 09:18 AM
Speaking of, what the hell they do with all those?

Hombre
04-17-2022, 11:10 AM
They become coyote food. The operations actually make money on both sides, they get client and farmer money. The farmer actually stopped by to thank us and said he'd be overrun with hogs if not for us.

airbud7
04-17-2022, 04:22 PM
Fun!...you guy's have the most crazy fun!

BarryBobPosthole
04-17-2022, 07:05 PM
Okay, so I thought the hog hunt was within the high fenced area. Damn, that isa lot of feral hogs for ranchland. You never ever hear about people getting busted for released those damned things,

BKB

BKB

Hombre
04-17-2022, 07:49 PM
Nope all on ranch land. I think we hunted around 17000 acres

Penguin
04-18-2022, 08:34 AM
Thanks for posting Hombre. Man that sounds like a neat trip. More than that it sounds like one that I have no experience with. At all. About anything that went on there. :p

Will

Hombre
04-18-2022, 01:01 PM
Thanks for posting Hombre. Man that sounds like a neat trip. More than that it sounds like one that I have no experience with. At all. About anything that went on there. :p

Will

You and me both Penguin. It was my first time in a helicopter let alone hunting out of one.

Bwana
04-21-2022, 09:16 AM
Now that sounds like my idea of a GRAND ol time!!