PDA

View Full Version : Spring???

Bwana
04-21-2022, 09:32 AM
We had a VERY open winter here in my neck of the woods with very little snow which made many folks VERY concerned as last year was an extreme drought year for most of the state so we were hoping for some winter time moisture. What little snow we had melted long ago, so folks started hoping for spring rain. No luck there either. And then last week hit us smack dab between the eyes with one doozy of a 3-day winter blizzard!!

The first three days netted us here with somewhere in the 19-20 inches of snow range but thanks to the winds, which gusted into the 40's mph, made for some impressive drifts. It was a wet, heavy snow that was a bitch to move and raised hell on those with cattle. Still trying to tally losses. 100 miles north of us in Minot, ND the official snow total was 36" of snow!

That fun all wrapped up on Good Friday only to be followed by another 5" for us and 12" for Minot Saturday night into Easter Sunday.

Again the moisture is a God-send and we are very thankful for it, but now starting tomorrow going through into midday Sunday we are looking at another "significant event" that will start out as rain here and turn to snow on Saturday night. The colder locales in western ND are predicting 6"-14" of snow where we are being told 1"-5" of snow with up to 2" of rain.

Beginning to look like the drought might be on hold temporarily.

Anyway, I hope spring gets here soon as turkey hunting in the snow isn't anywhere near as much fun as deer hunting in the snow but it should keep the ticks at bay for a while.

Penguin
04-21-2022, 10:16 AM
I had heard that a whole lot of you folks out west were in fairly serious drought conditions. I just did not know if it was waning or waxing. Hopefully you have a normal to wet summer to help things out. Has the weather service made its' summer long term forecast yet? ~Sometimes~ they get it right. :)

Out east in the mountains? Another cold wet winter and damp spring so far. Hopefully this week's snow was the last of it. I'm thinking about putting in my potatoes this weekend... but there is another frost warning for the middle of next week. Hopefully nothing serious, I'm getting antsy to get growing over here!

Spring gobbler season opened on monday... to an incoming snow, highs in the upper 30's, and 20 to 30 mph winds. I saw one truck parked beside the road on the whole drive in. I guess even the desperate and hardcore didn't feel up to it.

Will

Thumper
04-21-2022, 01:19 PM
We only have Spring, Summer and Fall here.

DeputyDog
04-21-2022, 07:58 PM
I hope you have a somewhat gradual warm up so flooding isn’t a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken Dinner
04-21-2022, 08:39 PM
Dang, I’ll stop complaining about the cool spring we’ve had.

BarryBobPosthole
04-22-2022, 07:02 AM
We seem to be about a month behind. Ash trees are just now budding. No robbers yet (waxwings). And the wind is 35-40 today like March.
And temps in the low 40s at night coming again in just a couple of days.
Very strange spring around here.

BKB

johnboy
04-22-2022, 12:55 PM
Very cool and wet spring this year after a much colder than 'normal' winter. Actually still getting frosty mornings which is really unusual this time of year in this area. Looks like a lot of shrubs in the neighbourhood won't be making it (winter kill) including some of my own. My family and friends in Alberta and Manitoba are still ass deep in snow with little relief in sight. It's not a late spring, it's still winter there.

Global warming or global cooling equals climate change? I really don't know anymore.

BarryBobPosthole
04-22-2022, 03:51 PM
I understand they say we’ll lose most of Texas.

Sniff.

BKB

DeputyDog
04-22-2022, 04:11 PM
They will all just move north to Okieland then.

BarryBobPosthole
04-22-2022, 06:51 PM
To quote the movie Forrest Gump, “Taken!”.

BKB

Bwana
04-25-2022, 08:57 AM
The moisture was indeed a God-send, but now on the eastern side of the state, where they did have good snow this winter, all this rain is causing flooding problems to the tune of roads washed out, bridges blocked, and concern for dams that are experiencing emergency spillway flows. Twas a busy weekend and it doesn't look like flows will peak until about mid-week only to have rain in the forecast for Friday through Sunday.

As they say, "When it rains, it pours."

Later dufes.

BarryBobPosthole
04-25-2022, 10:07 AM
Seems like that Red river drainage floods on a pretty regular basis when winter has a lot of precip doesn’t it?

Bwana
04-25-2022, 02:23 PM
That it does Posty. I guess building in the bottom of ancient and extremely flat lakebed isn't always the best idea. Hindsite being 20/20...

johnboy
04-25-2022, 06:57 PM
A big chunk of the Fraser Valley flooded last year, Sumas Prairie, lots of farms etc. The original name of the area was Sumas Lake before it was drained for farming. You can fool Mother nature some of the time but ....

jb
04-26-2022, 01:25 PM
Last Saturday it reached 80 here, today it's snowing. gotta love MI weather.

Chicken Dinner
04-26-2022, 01:38 PM
Simulate weather pattern here. Mid 80’s this past Sunday. Lows in the 30’s the next three nights

DeputyDog
04-26-2022, 01:57 PM
We also got 80 on the weekend and it’s currently 40 degrees with an overnight freeze warning.

Hombre
04-26-2022, 02:39 PM
Wet and cold here in WA. Spent last weekend in SE Oklahoma and the weather was beautiful at around 75 everyday.