PDA

View Full Version : Is America turning into a third world country

DeputyDog
06-02-2022, 07:59 AM
I ask this for a variety of reasons. Our past couple of election cycles were a joke with claims of fraud coming from all sides.

For the past two years there have been “supply chain” issues causing empty shelves in grocery stores and limits being placed on the amounts of certain items that can be purchased at one time. For example, for the past two weeks I haven’t been able to find any peanut butter in any of the stores in my area. I know there was a potential salmonella contamination in certain lot numbers of JIF peanut butter, but I didn’t realize that constituted the entire supply in NE Indiana. Hell, I couldn’t even find any Pineapple juice to use as a mixer this past weekend. I checked at the biggest grocery store in my town and they didn’t even show a delivery date and didn’t know when they would even be getting any in.

Now rural Michigan is preparing for the possibility of rolling blackouts due to power shortages.

https://wtvbam.com/2022/06/02/utility-companies-in-michigan-including-cbpu-face-possible-power-shortfalls-this-summer/#l3wybi40tyc9td6penh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
06-02-2022, 09:26 AM
I don’t know if we’re turning into a third world country or if we’re just now figuring out how flimsy our supply chains are. Covid exposed a lot of flimsy stuff. The meat packing industry for one. Mainly dependent on illegal or migrant type workers and covid kicked its ass (our ass) because of the poor working conditions. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. This baby formula business is another wake up call.

The most efficient proceses aren’t always the sturdiest.

BKb

Hombre
06-02-2022, 01:05 PM
I don't think so either. I'd agree with BBP that Covid showed how fragile our system is, and add that we continued to contribute to it with violent protest, and movements that are either too far to the right or too far to the left. I believe the greatest threat we have right now is not finding any common ground. Remember when there were disagreements that ended in common ground solutions? Now everything is political firepower and doing the right thing is unheard of.

Thumper
06-02-2022, 05:28 PM
>>>>>

I know it won’t mean squat to too many here, but here’s another silly example we just ran into today at the grocery store. A shortage of frigging CAT FOOD, of all things!

Note: These are mighty small cans and we're feeding 11 cats right now!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220602/5dcdb05760c194abc8e1413cc3d3ee00.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220602/417442f409e4db776be8dca7a23d0264.jpg

quercus alba
06-02-2022, 06:44 PM
>>>>>

I know it won’t mean squat to too many here, but here’s another silly example we just ran into today at the grocery store. A shortage of frigging CAT FOOD, of all things!

Note: These are mighty small cans and we're feeding 11 cats right now!

I wish all my problems were so easy to fix

BarryBobPosthole
06-03-2022, 03:08 AM
I think that the current state of humanity is a much worse issue than supply chains. I’m a pretty positive person but I’m genuinely conncerned the direstion our species is headed.
BKB

Penguin
06-03-2022, 07:56 AM
DD my first impulse was to say of course we are. But Posty and Hombre bring up a good point and are well worth giving a good listen to.

In many ways though I truly believe the US is a 3rd world nation. We are politically dysfunctional and unresponsive to the will of the governed. We have an economy that generates a super-rich with a superficial and shallow wealth (at best) for most. You can go on for days listing the ways our US is inferior to the nation of our grandparents.

If it makes you feel any better, many of our problems are shared by other nations around the globe. Industrial civilization itself is moving into crisis. We've some difficult decisions ahead.

johnboy
06-03-2022, 01:18 PM
I no longer believe that it is possible for people to find common ground. I've always believed that reasonable people can and will find a compromise to any disagreement but I believe that we have gone past that point in that so many people now are NOT reasonable. It is impossible to reach an equitable solution when you are dealing with a mind set that cannot or will not accept that the 'other side' of any issue may have a reasonable point. You can not negotiate when the other side is fully convinced that you are always wrong and they are always right.

I think that it is time to take back the narrative and call bullshit when you hear it and no longer be intimidated by the bully tactics of calling anyone who disagrees with your world view as a ____ist or ____phobe (add whatever you want to fill the blanks). The crazies have been allowed to run the asylum for too long now as reasonable people have allowed them the freedom of expression they will not tolerate in others.

Chicken Dinner
06-03-2022, 02:06 PM
I’ve lived in a couple of third world countries and visited many more. If it makes you feel any better, we’re not there -yet.