PDA

View Full Version : Hidehunter

quercus alba
06-08-2022, 04:58 PM
Being the guru of all things panfish, I was curious as to what your opinion was of live scoping and spider rigging for crappie

HideHunter
06-12-2022, 02:49 PM
I see it two ways.. If you are going out to enjoy the day and catch a few fish to eat... forget the live scope and the spider rigging.. I've done a little spider rigging with some guys who were good at it... it's a ballet.. When I do it - it's more like a bar room brawl. Live scope - I can see the attraction much like I see the attraction of a Vexilar on the ice. A few years ago - if you wanted to be competitive on the professional crappie circuit - you'd better be able to spider rig. Now - if you want to be competitive - you'd better have live scope and be able to use it..

BarryBobPosthole
06-12-2022, 06:29 PM
The local guides around here might be making as much money teaching anglers how to use a livescope as they do fishing. Which is good as far as I’m concerned.Now if they could just teach manners…..

BKB

quercus alba
06-12-2022, 08:36 PM
I'm not a fishing purist or snob by any stretch but I don't like it. Skill and experience have been replaced by money and laziness in my opinion. Kinda like a canned hunt to me. I won't say that I'd never go but I've passed on several opportunities. However, I'm not such an elitist that I won't eat fish caught spider rigging but I will sit in haughty disdain when I dip them in tartar sauce.

I guess I belong to the old school.

And I may need to grease the wheels on my buggy and try sliced bread one day as well

BarryBobPosthole
06-13-2022, 08:56 AM
When I was 14, I got a TR-VII fish attractor for my birthday. Was essentially a little battery powered thing that made clicking noises like a crawdad with a place to put fish food pellets.

My Dad said he thought it was cheating. I guess you and him are of a like mind.

BKB

Thumper
06-13-2022, 09:19 AM
I fished with dynamite in the Gulf of Thailand back in the 70’s. Was that cheating? ;)

(The armory wouldn’t give me any extra hand grenades.) :(

BarryBobPosthole
06-13-2022, 09:42 AM
I fished with dynamite in the Gulf of Thailand back in the 70’s. Was that cheating? ;)

(The armory wouldn’t give me any extra hand grenades.) :(

Not in Arkansas it ain’t. Nor TA 312s.
BKB

Thumper
06-13-2022, 10:02 AM
Ha ha! When I got back to the States, I joined the reserves. The closest thing they could find to my MOS was some sort of communications MOS (don’t remember what it was). I was in charge of setting up communications wherever we went. (Remember the field switchboard?) Of course, I had plenty of experience with the TA-312 and prolly made elebenty bazillion splices in the WD-1. ‘Couldn’t tell you how many suckers fell for the old, “Hey, hold this wire while I test this phone!” ;)

In case you find yourself in a military trivia contest:

TA = Telephone Apparatus
3 = three power supplies
1 = one crank
2 = two batteries

BarryBobPosthole
06-13-2022, 10:58 AM
I worked in a mobile tech control, 62 van. My boss’s favorite trick was to slip the end of a patch cord into your fatigue pocket and then slyly stand there cranking the 312.

BkB

Thumper
06-13-2022, 06:46 PM
Once in the reserves, when we’d set up camp, the first thing I had to do was to set up one of these beasts ….

…. Then I’d have to start rolling out the spools of WD-1 to the various TA-312’s for the mucky-mucks to communicate with. Ahhh, the good ol’ days of modern communications!��

BarryBobPosthole
06-13-2022, 06:59 PM
Ernestine!

quercus alba
06-14-2022, 01:03 PM
Livescope

No livescope

Thumper
06-14-2022, 01:16 PM
How did you prevent the ones in that first pic from sliding off the table? ;)

Now THAT’S a mess o’feesh!

quercus alba
06-14-2022, 01:48 PM
I didn’t have anything to do with the fish in the first pic, that’s son #1.
I caught the ones in the bottom picture