PDA

View Full Version : 1883 & Covid

Penguin
06-10-2022, 07:56 AM
Well I started off with some serious sinus burning and ended up with Covid this last week. And ended up giving it to my lovely wife a couple days later. While avoiding everyone around, we ended up doing some binge watching to pass the time between sneezes, coughs, and naps. Here's my rundown of 1883 and Covid.

1883: I really did not expect to like this show. I'm a big fan of western tv and movies but a lot of it is ridiculous and I can't watch it. And I'd put Yellowstone in that category. After committing a couple dozen murders on your ranch you have to believe that the state police, attorney general, FBI or somedamnbody would sense a pattern and come have a chat. I just couldn't suspend belief enough to hang on. So we started this show figuring it to be more of the same and had low expectations.

I couldn't have been more wrong. This show was violent. Sometimes excessively so. But it was all the kind of thing that I had read about before, even if having it ALL happen to one wagon train seemed like very bad luck. Tim McGraw and Faith Hill were outstanding and Isabel May (Elsa Dutton) stole the show. She and her story were magnificent. I give it two snaps up and encourage any fence sitters to watch it.

Covid: Well I don't know if I had it before though I suspect I have at least once. But this one was confirmed and a sure thing. I'm pretty positive this was Omicron because although it hit my lungs it didn't go deeply into them. Just enough to scare me a bit when it started to move southward. Everywhere it did hit was hit hard. My sinuses burned like I was sniffing gasoline, my head ached like it was being hit with a ball peen hammer, and my throat felt like it was on fire. Bloody hankys and lots of them were the order of the day. I treated with Excedrin, Delsym, and Mucinex and that kept me ticking OK.

All better now on day 9 and ready to weed the garden, cut some firewood, and write some research papers. I suppose everyone gets hit a bit differently but I have had a couple worse flu cases in my life. But it was much worse than any head cold I've experienced. Much, much worse. Bring on the summer.

Will

Chicken Dinner
06-10-2022, 08:55 AM
Glad you’re on the mend, chilly Willy. I had the original CV pre vaccine and it was no joke. I was sick for almost a month and it took a couple more before I was 100%. I actually liked Yellowstone (But, they may have sucked me in with that Beth Dutton watering trough scene.) and found 1883 too overly dramatic for my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
06-10-2022, 09:33 AM
Lynn can't stand watching movies with me because I'm so critical of what I call "typical Hollywood dumbassery"! I can really be getting into a movie and then it'll hit ... the guy is driving a car with an automatic transmission, but the sound effects are from a stick shift. ANY time a car goes over a cliff, it magically explodes in midair and the fireball comes from the INSIDE of the car. If two cars crash, at least one of them will shoot 20-feet into the air before crashing to the ground. I loved the movie Bullitt, but I still picked it apart ... especially during the iconic chase scene on the streets of San Francisco. The Charger comes around a corner and a hub cab flew off the car. Later in the same chase, another hub cap rolls down the street, then a third one is lost. Then they come around another corner and BOTH wheels on that side have their hub caps! Ummmm, ok (?). And how many frigging times did they pass that same Volkswagen Beetle during that chase??? When it comes to any sort of "shoot 'em up, bang-bang" movie, it seems EVERY damn gun in the world, whether it's a revolver or simi-auto, shoots about 3,652,978 rounds before it runs out of bullets, then after a few clicks, they throw the gun at whomever they've been shooting at! Heck, if they ever do hit their target, it's either in the shoulder or they simply shoot the gun out of their hand! I could go on and on and on, but suffice it to say, anyone who sits through a movie with me will have a miserable experience! :slaphead

Thumper
06-10-2022, 09:50 AM
Sorry to hear about the bout with Covid Willie. We have a sticky situation here ourselves and are really torn. We have some dear friends (of 33 years) here and the husband was having trouble breathing, so he was admitted into the hospital. It was NOT Covid, but he's in his mid-80's, his health started going downhill and things weren't looking very positive. Family immediately came in from Texas (son, wife and 3 kids). One son, wife and 1 kid is here locally, one daughter came in from Orlando with her hubby and 2 kids and another daughter immediately flew in from Australia. In all, there are 14 of them in the family and all here to be with him. While he was still in the hospital, Covid hit the family and 11 have tested positive. In the meantime, dad still tests negative, but he's been moved to hospice and has not taken in any food or fluids since Saturday night. I see no way he'll make it past today TBH. Now, with all that going on, the whole family is fighting Covid (they've ALL been inoculated BTW, but not sure if all have had both boosters). Lynn and I feel like real jerks because we haven't been in to see him, but the gamble just isn't worth it. He's going to pass away and we have been 5 minutes away from him through this whole mess, but have never visited. This stuff really sucks and I'm sure not seeing Pete before he passed will stick with us forever. We offer all our support through texts and phone calls. It sucks. :(

BarryBobPosthole
06-10-2022, 09:58 AM
I liked 1883 well enough that I watched it all the way through. The country music singers did pretty damn good IMO. McGraw obviously watched a lot of westerns because his portrayal of the tough, tormented, good guy could have carried any old western. Faith Hill was, well, y’all will know someday how sexy an older woman can be. The storyline was the weakest part of the whole deal. Lots of leaps that just didn’t make much sense.

We both made it through Covid without getting it, knock on wood. .so much other shit happened though. We’re both still in mind of a prolonged state of shock. Two years gone and our lives shortened considerably for it. What the fuck is next?

Anyways, happy to see you’re feeling better, Willie!

BKB