PDA

View Full Version : Lithium-ion Batteries

johnboy
06-14-2022, 01:57 PM
Another fire and subsequent death (5 this year in Vancouver alone) caused by an exploding lithium-ion battery in an e-bike. Dangerous tech? Have seen video of these battery fires and they are INTENSE and impossible to extinguish.

Thumper
06-14-2022, 01:59 PM
Wow! Any idea if it was a particular brand (bike or battery)?

DeputyDog
06-14-2022, 02:15 PM
Lithium fires are tough. The lithium reacts with water and produces hydrogen gas which fuels the fire.

We used to have a company locally that was a large producer of wheels including magnesium ones for the auto industry. The fire department had to make sure they had plenty of a special foam to extinguish any fires there because of the reaction between burning magnesium and water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnboy
06-14-2022, 02:42 PM
No mention of any particular brand being worse or better than the others. I think the problem is that the technology is fragile. Any damage to a battery, no matter how slight, can cause them to combust, especially under charge. Seen vids of cell phones exploding in peoples pockets, car fires, laptops, e-bikes etc. Going to be a bigger problem as more e-machines are used.

BarryBobPosthole
06-14-2022, 02:44 PM
That’s some scary shit!
Noteto self: phone to back pocket

quercus alba
06-14-2022, 03:29 PM
Lithium huh? My son has been given a project at work trying to extract lithium from waste water. He’s been given the nickname “the lithium guy.”

Next time I see him I’ll try to get some insight on the subject