PDA

View Full Version : Legal mumbo-jumbo and gobblety-gook

Thumper
08-18-2022, 10:32 AM
I purchased our eBikes back toward the end of April and just got around to making a file for the receipts and various associated paperwork. The bikes were charged on my AmEx Platinum card and for most items purchased on the card, AmEx will double the manufacturers warranty. I figured I'd make a copy of the AmEx warranty agreement to include in the file. BUT ... when I pulled up the terms of the agreement, I found it is 72 frigging pages of legalese! Whoa! I guess it's a sign of the times ... make sure you CYA. Anyway, I only needed to read through to page 4 where I found this disclaimer:

NO COVERAGE PROVIDED FOR MOTORIZED DEVICES OR MOTORIZED DEVICE PARTS

Dang it! :(

BarryBobPosthole
08-18-2022, 11:18 AM
Prolly because of the splash in the media about e bike fires.

BKB

Hombre
08-18-2022, 11:23 AM
A friend of our that lives across the course has her own marketing business. She basically takes peoples new products and helps them get into Costco, and positioned in a good spot to sell. It's actually kind of a cool business because she gets product prototypes to test all the time, and she gave me the prototype steak broiler that was pretty cool. Anyway she got a demo electric bike that she was testing out and it randomly caught fire in her office and burnt most of the office space down....I never asked but I doubt they made it in to Costco.

Chicken Dinner
08-18-2022, 11:46 AM
My first thought is how do they define “motorized”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
08-18-2022, 11:52 AM
Imagine the battery it would take to propel Thumper down the road. I imagine it’d get a little warm.

BKB

Hombre
08-18-2022, 12:01 PM
Imagine the battery it would take to propel Thumper down the road. I imagine it’d get a little warm.

BKB

Can the put a V8 on a bicycle?

BarryBobPosthole
08-18-2022, 12:11 PM
There were some kids in my neighborhood that had conversion kits for their hoverboards that made them into tricycles. they looked cool as hell and looked like they would go pretty fast too.

BKB

Thumper
08-18-2022, 12:44 PM
Yeah, the manufacturer's warranty is 2-years ... a 4-year warranty sounded pretty attractive. Bummer.

And for all the snide comments ... youse dufes can bite me! ;)

It took me quite a while to get on-board with these eBike things, but my brother (who's been on-board for years) finally talked me into renting one just to try it out. I rented a couple for Lynn and me when we spent a few days on Hilton Head and it only took me about 100 yards of riding to convince me they are super cool. They now ride on a rack on the back of the motor home when we head out. We're leaving on a 5000+ mile trip in a few weeks, so they'll get a work-out along the way. We're stretching it out to 1-1/2 to 2 months on the road, so we'll have plenty of time to ride. Should be fun.

Hombre
08-18-2022, 12:56 PM
Where are you headed Thump?

Chicken Dinner
08-18-2022, 01:23 PM
You bringing the cats!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
08-18-2022, 02:22 PM
Our "camper cat" was going to tag along, but we changed our minds as we'll be away from the camper for extended periods of time and I didn't want to deal with leaving the generator running while away. I'm really not sure what to expect for weather, so a/c may be needed. Even if the weather is nice, I hate to leave the unit parked with the windows open when we're away. I also plan on stopping in Forest City, Iowa to have some work done at the Winnebago factory ... including upgrading and expanding my solar system. We'd have to take her with us while it's in the shop and that'll be for 3-days (8:00 am - 3:30 pm). They have a campground at the factory with full hook-ups, so they just take it in the shop in the morning, then bring it back out in the afternoon, so you camp right there on the secure and patrolled premises with plenty of restaurants, etc. in the immediate vicinity. My brother and sil are meeting us there in their m/h and we'll tour the plant once they arrive. Winnebago has separate campsites across the street from our site for visitors. It's a pretty nice arrangement, but dealing with a cat while there will be a bit much I think.

Hombre, we're heading out from Florida and my brother will be headed out from N. California, then we'll meet up in Iowa. From there, we'll be heading to Northern Minnesota to walk across the Mississippi River where it's ankle deep. That'll be where we start heading back south, following the old river road to New Orleans, We're taking it slowly, only traveling anywhere from 75 - 175 miles/day, so we'll have plenty of time to visit sites and attractions along the way, as well as get some relaxing camping accomplished. After a few days in New Orleans, we'll head to Houston to visit family for a few days, then we'll split up and head back to California and Florida. It should be a fun trip, barring any disasters. At least the price of diesel has been dropping lately, that's sure a plus!

Hombre
08-18-2022, 03:57 PM
Sounds like quite the trip. Enjoy!

Trav
08-18-2022, 07:34 PM

BKB

You would need Fukushima or Chernobyl to charge that battery.

Thumper
08-18-2022, 07:46 PM
I get no respect around this joint. Youse dufes are gonna miss me when I'm gone.