PDA

View Full Version : A Better Life!

Big Skyz
08-29-2022, 11:26 AM
Some of you may wonder why I left Montana and moved to Utah. Then again some of you probably could care less as well. However, I'm going to clear things up anyway. My last six years in Montana I was in what was the most toxic employment situation of my entire adult life. I couldn't say anything about it for obvious reasons. I was stuck working for someone considerably younger than me with a fraction of the experience I had. Every day I'd get up and sit on the edge of my bed and convince myself to not tell this person off. They truly deserved it, and it's not my nature to keep my mouth shut in situations like this. However, I didn't want to risk losing my retirement pension. So I bit my tongue for 6 eternal years. Add to that my mother was diagnosed with bone marrow cancer during that time as well. It was very difficult to be that far from her and my dad as they struggled with mom's treatments. There were some other very stressful things I was dealing with up in Montana as well, that I won't go into here, but all combined it was creating a perfect storm to leave. Long story short I was offered a job in Southern Utah only 40 minutes from my parents home. I graduated from college out of Southern Utah University over 30 years ago, and I was already very familiar with this area of Utah. I also qualified to draw my retirement from Montana. It's a pitiful retirement check and one cannot even remotely live off of it. So I'll be working another 10 years (for a total of 15) down here in Utah in order to draw a second retirement check, and then eventually qualify for social security. Provided the government doesn't destroy everything my wife and I should be fairly comfortably retired in 10 years. In fact, if things continue to go as planned we will be 100% debt free in 6 years. While I miss the hunting and fishing in Montana, as well as my friends, the quality of life here in Utah is MUCH BETTER. We are closer to family. The weather is much more mild. My wife and I's income is significantly better. We have a considerably newer and nicer home on a 1/3 of an acre. We love the community we live in and we both enjoy our jobs. I've been through many tough times in my life, but I've learned that if a person just stays in the fight eventually things get better. It did for us. I'm sure we still have challenges ahead, but it's nice to at least live in a place I love, surrounded by family that I deeply love. So there you have it. The short version of why I left an outdoor paradise.

Hombre
08-29-2022, 11:44 AM
Sounds like a great move. There's not much worse than going into a job you dislike especially if you dislike the people. When I think through the jobs I've loved it always comes down to the team or people I work with. On a side note Utah has to be one, if not the, most beautiful states we have. When I drive from Snoqualmie to Phoenix I have two possible routes, either through Nevada or Utah. The Utah route is about 45 minutes longer but I still generally chose it. The drive through southern Utah is so scenic it makes it worth it. We talked about stopping in Kanab or Panguitch and renting a UTV to do the trails around there, sometime we'll get to it.

I'll be making this drive again on Friday so looking forward to the scenery.

Big Skyz
08-29-2022, 12:09 PM
Hombre, thanks. I agree the scenery is amazing. I live right in the heart of southern Utah and the beauty of the land never gets old.

Thumper
08-29-2022, 12:16 PM
I've had a few jobs that I hated, but was afraid to leave due to the uncertainties of a move. I didn't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire. I "usually" changed jobs for the money, then learned that sometimes it just wasn't worth it. My biggest leap into the unknown was leaving L.A. and a 6-figure income, to move to a lower income, small town in Florida where I didn't know anybody, with no job lined up, but plans to start my own business from scratch, in a field I was totally unfamiliar with. Somehow, I can't think of one move that didn't work out to be better than the job I left. Things just seem to work out somehow. I'm glad things worked out for you. Mental health is much more important than money. (although, on the flip-side, severe lack of money can also be a major factor influencing your mental health, as well as your marriage) You just have to find that happy medium. Glad you found yours. :thumbsup

Hombre
08-29-2022, 12:24 PM
Here's my route. I wonder if I ever get close to you?

Big Skyz
Thumper, that was the weird thing about it. I liked my job, but my boss was making me absolutely crazy!!! I seriously think if I had stayed I would have completely lost it. That mental health thing is huge when in such a stressful situation.

Big Skyz
Yup Hombre you come right by me. I don't live in Beaver, but that is where I work.

Hombre
08-29-2022, 12:27 PM
That's great - If I get some time I'd love to meet up.

Chicken Dinner
08-29-2022, 12:41 PM
Glad to hear things are looking up BS! Between turning 60 next year and spending some of pandemic time reevaluating my priorities, my mind has started to focus on my retirement timing. My youngest just started college last week and I just hope nobody pisses me off too badly at work for the next four years. I’m just not sure my heart would be in starting over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
08-29-2022, 12:47 PM
Hombre, I did the same when I was driving my truck years ago and shut down for the night in Belt, MT. I met up with Troy and, as seems to be the usual with people around this site, he is solid gold. If there's a chance of hooking up on your way through, don't pass it up.

Big Skyz
08-29-2022, 01:53 PM
Hombre if we can coordinate our schedules I'd be down with that.

BarryBobPosthole
08-29-2022, 02:03 PM
One thing I learned in retirement and facing health stuff that is scary as hell: there’s a lot more to life than work. And I spent way too much of mine either working or twisted up in knots about what was going on in my work life. It ain’t worth it. At least not to me.

Sounds like you’ve found your best life, Troy and I’m happy to hear it. You deserve it. And I hope your retirement plan works out for you.

Hombre
08-29-2022, 02:27 PM
Hombre if we can coordinate our schedules I'd be down with that.

Great. As I get closer to leaving on Friday/Saturday I'll let you know.

Big Skyz
08-29-2022, 02:29 PM
BBP, you bring up a good point. I was in a bad situation in Montana and I seriously worried it was going to result in a heart attack. I'm not kidding. The stress level was spiraling out of control. Something had to give. I'm just glad it all worked out, but man, what a rough 6 years!!!

Bwana
08-29-2022, 02:41 PM
Happy for you and your bride that you have found what works for you.

DeputyDog
08-29-2022, 06:01 PM
I’m glad that the move was all you hoped it would be.

I know all too well what it’s like to deal with a boss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jb
08-30-2022, 09:43 AM
Troy, I'm glad I've had the opportunity to meet and hunt with you 3 times over the years. Some of my favorite hunts were with you and the Captain, and again with you and my sons.
Both being educators along with my two sons being teachers, we shared a lot of info. together, very enjoyable.
I remember you asking me about being an administrator, that's a job that has a lot of stress and little satisfaction, glad you didn't go that route.
Glad you found your happy place, and am sure you'll enjoy all the rewards that come with retirement. You have a great family, stay healthy, stay stress free, your time with come, and when it does I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Penguin
08-30-2022, 11:14 AM
I know all too well what it’s like to deal with a boss....

I agree with you DD. I am so glad that my boss is such a good guy now.

And I'm glad to hear that you got things squared away Troy. And it is good to hear that you have found yourself a good home. You'd think with as big as the world is that it would be filled with great places where a man would be happy. Not that way though is it?

Will

Big Skyz
08-30-2022, 11:22 AM
I forgot to add one of the most important things. The administration I work for now is one of the best I've ever worked for. We seem to always be in sync. I could never get on the same page as the administration in Montana. I mentioned that to my new boss the other day. He made me laugh when he replied: "It sounds like you couldn't even get in the same library let alone on the same page with that guy!" He is 100% correct about that.

LJ3
09-06-2022, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the update. I've had a few chapters in life where playing rope-a-dope was the best option. Keep taking the blows, duck as much as you can and let your opponent tire themselves out till you can execute an exit.