PDA

View Full Version : Changing gears a little on guns.

jb
02-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Unlike Bucky, I have to many deer rifles that I don't use. Over my 50 years of deer hunting I figured I always needed just one more, little faster, longer distance, latest craze, ect till I had about a dozen rifles. Now, when I do go out for my 2 1/2 days of hunting I usually just grab my 308 do all rifle. If I decide to go out west again I'll either take the 308 or maybe the 270.
I've already sold my 338mag and gave a few more to #3, but the rest will slowly be sold off till I'm left with just those two.
In the mean time my interest has gone to handguns, more so to the old Cowboy guns of my youth. It started with my redoing the Colt SAA I had, then buying the Ruger Bisley in 357, then buying the Colt reproduction 3rd Model Dragoon.
After reading and cruising the internet I decided what I really needed was some history in a handgun. So, looking around I found one that met my interest and purchased this one.
Colt 1860 Army, from the SN it's about 151 years old, still in good shape and I guess I could shoot it if I wanted. Anyway it's one hell of a conversation piece and just holding it I wish it could talk and tell me where it's been all these years. Hell, for all I know, it could have shot one of Captains kin during the Civil War.
Not done with my collecting yet, but it's a place to spend the $$$ I get for all the deer rifles I no longer use.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/jbmich/1860Army_zps8269e881.jpg

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2013, 09:32 PM
Wow. That's purty. Congrats!
BKB

Captain
02-27-2013, 10:28 PM
Very cool revolver there Bubba.. It was certainly around during the war of Northern aggression. Hopefully it fought on the right side. :D
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Bwana
02-28-2013, 09:43 AM
From the looks of that cool piece I am guessing she isn't a light-weight.

Sounds like a cool pastime jb.

hotshot
02-28-2013, 01:36 PM
as with many handguns of the day, depending on the owner- it switched sides numerous times by being picked up. If ther two sides were close enough for a pistol,there was little chance of a person surviving.
Sure would be nice to have the gun talk. I know take it tio Vegas, and go on Pawn Stars!
Seriously great find!

BarryBobPosthole
02-28-2013, 01:52 PM
I've sen the old navy colts of that era. Is there much difference? Looks very similar.
BKB

johnboy
02-28-2013, 02:40 PM
I love those old pistols. That one looks to be in nice shape. Let us know if you ever fire it.

Barry, I think the Navy was .36 to the Army's .44 cal.

jb
02-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Barry, next on my list, the Navy's were prefered over the Army, Wild Bill had two, so did many other's you'd recognize.
Not as many made as the Army, command a few extra $$$ when you find a good one.

Captain
02-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Jerry, I got one you need... May not be as old as the old west guns you have but it is certainly very old and unique because it is in the original box!
A old friend of mine had this gun and has now passed on. His uncle had a saloon in North Dakota around the late 1800's up until the prohibition. This revolver was under the counter of that bar for many years. He inherited it in the 40's and about 25 years ago he traded it to me for a more modern handgun he wanted.
I need for it to be owned by someone that appreciates it. It has never been blued and is in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

jb
03-01-2013, 09:22 AM
That's a deal, let me know what you need.
We were headed your way next week, ready to call and and see if we could stop by on the return.
Last minute changes scrapped the trip.
Now I may have a reason for a quick run South sometime yet this spring. Pick that baby up and say Hey to your mom.
Thanks for the offer.