PDA

View Full Version : Really nice mini-reunion

Thumper
10-04-2022, 09:45 PM
We were headed south along the river when I glanced at the map to see where we were. Ha! We were like 20 miles from an old buddy of mine and on track to pass right through the little town he lives in. We were best friends in high school, then we both went to the University of Tennessee together as Mechanical Engineering majors. In fact, we were roommates in the dorm.

I gave him a shout on my cell phone and told the old fart to make me some lunch because I’ll be at his front doorstep in about a half hour! Man it was great seeing him again and my brother got to hear some crazy stories he’d never heard before. He was actually my co-pilot when I made a booze and cigarette run to Kentucky, as I was the “bootlegger” at school (the University was in a dry county). I had about $300-$400 worth of cigs and liquor in the car (purchased with a fake id) and headed back to school when a Kentucky cop decided to “check me out”.

I HAD to make it across State Line Rd. into Tennessee to avoid getting busted, so the chase was on! I made it into Tennessee but knew I had to beat that danged radio, so I gave it all I had. We were running at 187-mph when I noticed a semi truck heading toward us on the narrow 2-lane highway and remember wondering what it was going to feel like passing a semi, probably doing 65 or so and us topping out at 187?

About that time, the whole windshield “blacked out”! It was barely sprinkling rain, but at that speed, it was like a major downpour! I lifted (didn’t touch the brakes) and immediately hit the windshield wipers. Ummm, Houston, we have a problem … at that speed, the wipers were sucked a foot off the windshield and just swishing back and forth in the breeze! Then we felt that truck go by! I finally got slowed down enough for the wipers to lay back down on the windshield and do their thing. I immediately pulled off on a little side road where we both got out and cleaned the shit out of our pants.

I did make it back to school, delivered my “packages” and made a nice chunk of beer/gas money on the side!

That was just ONE of the many stories told today. It was a really, REALLY fun visit. Heck, I even changed the oil in my generator as we sat out by the garage reminiscing. Here’s my buddy (and outlaw partner) with his wife and me before getting back on the road. As a bonus, tomorrow is the youngster’s 70th birthday! So he got to see me! [emoji1787]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221005/fc97d21809aac589e5f75a01312c6b72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quercus alba
10-05-2022, 12:01 AM
Thump, why does a good looking guy like you hang around with so many homely people?

Thumper
10-05-2022, 12:07 AM
Ha ha! It’s a curse! Do you know how hard it is to find friends of my caliber? I’ve had to compromise all my life. ;)

Notice the targets set up in his back yard (over his left shoulder in the pic). He’s a hard-core Republican. :)

Big Skyz
10-06-2022, 01:30 PM
Well if that's one of many stories, methinks we need a few more.