PDA

View Full Version : Nice stay.

Thumper
10-10-2022, 04:39 PM
We were in Natchez, MS for a couple days, but had ZERO cell/i-net coverage. Nice in some ways, but a pita in others. We had a nice lakeside spot and this is what I woke up to this morning.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221010/2a390e0a694a3febb21e530d88abea9e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221010/cf8fa2fb23fb9db4636289620ab97d85.jpg

Lynn grilled some GREAT teriyaki pork chops last night and we had a major pig out. Here, the grill is heating. [emoji106]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221010/837e52d32f7e7db4d7c183d69f78bbe6.jpg

Nice spot on the lake.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221010/b21d8077e516d0c7074f4a42e9f712fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
10-10-2022, 04:46 PM
Just pulled into New Orleans and will be here for the next three days trying our best to get into some sort of trouble. I’m sure we’ll be successful. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
10-10-2022, 05:03 PM
I spent two assignments in Biloxi, one for seven months one for four. My lasting memories of Mississippi are mud holes and pine trees. I had some great times there, but those two things stood out.

BKb

Thumper
10-10-2022, 05:08 PM
I lived and attended high school in Vicksburg. I loved it as a kid, but in those days, I didn’t think I’d have wanted to try making a living there. But, I have MANY fond memories of my time there. In fact, we hooked up with an old h/s buddy during our stay in Vicksburg earlier this week, but the pics are on my brother’s phone right now.

Having a good time so far. Hate the thought of this adventure drawing to a close. :(

Hombre
10-10-2022, 05:38 PM
Oh I got some stories from Mississippi. I spent my first year in the workforce as a POP technician for a small startup telecom company in Jackson. I was 20 and had nothing that wouldn't fit in my car. The company that I went to work for was providing corporate housing and I would have 2 roommates. One of the roommates was the owners son, and the other was an older pop tech.

They both introduced themselves when I showed up on the door step. The son seemed fine although I'd later find out that he basically never worked and was just there because his dad ran the company. The older technician introduced himself and promptly told me that I needed to lock my door at night. He said he was a tunnel rat in Viet Nam, and had night terrors. To state the obvious I did lock my door and didn't sleep well that night. When I woke up in the morning there was Bruce standing without a shred of close on and a coffee pot in his hand...he didn't miss a beat "want some coffee". I locked my door that entire year, but Bruce turned out to know a whole lot about POPs...he was odd but he was also really helpful and taught me a lot.

Thumper
10-11-2022, 09:11 AM
I have quite a few memories of Jackson. As kids in Vicksburg, the most “action” was in Jackson and it was the go-to place on date nights. My favorite club place was called “The Dump”. It was a huge nightclub and was full of old cars which served as “booths”. (My favorite booth was a ‘57 Chevy). They’d removed the doors, turned the front (bench) seats around to face the rear, then installed a narrow table between the seats. The dome lights provided the lighting. I have no clue whatever happened to the place, but I thought it was one of the coolest ideas I’d ever seen.

Jackson also marks the spot where I took a date who, to this day, is probably the most beautiful woman I’d ever seen in my life. We had a family friend who approached my brother and me to see if we’d possibly take his nieces out for a night on the town. The family was coming to visit for a few days (from Birmingham, Alabama) and he didn’t want the girls to be bored to tears while the adults visited. I had visions of the two homeliest girls on the planet and we planned to take them to Jackson so none of our friends in town would see them with us.

When we went over to pick them up, both our jaws hit the floor! These girls were both drop-dead gorgeous! The odd part is, he flipped out over one in particular and I was immediately head-over-heels in love with the other. No argument at all over who we were going to hook up with. I drove over with the new love of my life in the front seat with me and my bro and the sister sat in the back. Of course we’d just met, so the trip over was used to get to know each other.

I even remember the movie we saw in Jackson, they’d just released “The Graduate”. To make a Thump story shorter, all four of us really hit it off and I insisted, since I drove us over there, my brother drive back. (I wanted to get this gal into that big ‘ol back seat!) Well, things were getting hot and heavy in that back seat when my brother passed the sign that said, “Vicksburg - Next Exit”. Now mind you, in those days, “our” speed limit on the big ol’ 4-lane was MINIMUM 90-mph. The next EXIT was Vicksburg, but there was a rest area between the sign and the exit. You guessed it, we went through that frigging rest area at close to 100-mph! I don’t have the slightest idea why 20 people didn’t die that night (including us), but we left the highway, saw parked cars and semi-trucks whizzing by and heard women and children screaming, then ended up back on the highway in about 0.9 seconds!

Ok, not only did it spoil the mood in the back seat (both girls, including myself were still in shock), but it put an end to ANY chance of me getting anywhere past the tongue wrestling that had already transpired. But, at least it couldn’t get any worse, right? Wrong! We were taking them home when my brother stopped at a (red) traffic light. (Their house was two houses from that corner) My brother made a right turn to pull up to the house and we were immediately lit up by the cop that had been right behind us! (We later found out “right turn on red” was not legal in Mississippi). Now we’re parked right in front of the house with a spotlight shining in the back window, red lights flashing, police radio blaring and a cop walking up to the driver’s window.

It gets worse. We’re in my dad’s company car, a demo registered to the car dealership in Mississippi and both of us only have Florida learner’s permits! I glanced toward the house and all I saw was our family friend and the girl’s parents standing on the front porch watching this circus. I really don’t remember much after that, it was mental overload I guess, but to this day, I still have a mental image of the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen in my life … but never saw her again. :(

Chicken Dinner
10-11-2022, 10:32 AM
Poor girls…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
10-12-2022, 10:00 AM
Ha! They were lucky to have met us. My gal probably still dreams of me as “the one who got away”. ;)