PDA

View Full Version : Mountain buck

Penguin
11-23-2022, 02:33 PM

I shot a big 9 point directly across the hollow on that haul road. Crazy hunt. Saw things that I've never seen before.

Proud of myself. That's 200 yards if it's a foot. Tbh I'm a bit surprised I took it or made it.

Will

Chicken Dinner
11-23-2022, 02:38 PM
That’s a heckuva a shit. Also, probably a helluva drag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hombre
11-23-2022, 02:44 PM
Good work! I always thought it was a holler?

Thumper
11-23-2022, 04:29 PM
That’s a heckuva a shit.

Ummmm, I guess I missed that part. :laughing

Hombre
11-23-2022, 04:59 PM
Ummmm, I guess I missed that part. :laughing

I'm embarrassed to say I went back and checked the picture a second time!

Penguin
11-23-2022, 05:38 PM

Here it is when we were getting ready to skin and hang it. Smelled good so even if he was rutting he should be ok.

The hunt... Man I never saw anything like it. There were maybe 15 or so deer running around chasing each other for over 5 minutes. Big ones chasing each other and the little ones. Extremely aggressive. I'd try to scope for a buck but they made it impossible. It was like a deer riot. I know how crazy that sounds.

Anyway they scattered and I didn't know what to think. Took a leak and got a cup of coffee down and then this guy showed up.

My brother thinks this guy and another buck were probably fighting over a doe. And in the confusion the other deer got scared and started fighting. I don't know... Sounds better than anything I can think up.

I'll never forget what I saw though. What a hunt.

Bwana
11-23-2022, 05:42 PM
Congrats on the dandy buck and for seeing a bonafide deer orgy taking place. (Que Thumper story regarding an entire village ;) )

Sounds like a great day to be afield, but then again, aren't they all?!

Trav
11-23-2022, 07:35 PM
Nice buck

Thumper
11-23-2022, 09:06 PM
One of the funniest stories I have is when I had a young buck walking straight toward my stand. I could EASILY see three points, but believe he was a four (looked like he had another brow tone, just never got a good look). Anyway, I wasn’t interested, but was enjoying watching him. He walked in to about 15-20 yards directly in front of me, then suddenly stopped, threw his head up and (I assume) winded me. He was completely in the open, but there was a small bush just to the left of him. He immediately jumped sideways and stuck his head in that bush.

So, there he stood, totally broadside at a matter of a few yards from me and stood just like that for probably 10 minutes! I have to assume he felt that as long as his head was hidden, nothing could see him! When he finally decided to leave the area, I figured it was most likely because he could hear me laughing!

DeputyDog
11-24-2022, 07:25 PM
Nice looking deer and a great story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk