PDA

View Full Version : Dare I say it- signs of spring

hotshot
02-28-2013, 02:07 PM
had a 2 hour delay this morning- roads are a nasty mix of ice, slush, mud, and winter gook.
Brushing the snow off my truck windows I noticed a few sand hill cranes flying over.... then teh bluejays that roost in the thicket across the street began screaching... a falcon came darting through wich set the crows off too. The bird feeder was full of gold finches starting to turn color a tad.... The maple tree in the front yard was dripping sap from the branches that go snapped off in the ice storm from Tuesday.
Me thinks this winter crap is only for a few more weeks.

DeputyDog
02-28-2013, 04:28 PM
I was going to post something the other day before all the snow came in, but I've been seeing a bunch of Robins around.

Buckrub
02-28-2013, 06:27 PM
I've never seen it last into summer. But I suspect I will now, that you just jinxed it! :thwak

hotshot
03-01-2013, 12:30 PM
I have heard some redwinged balck birds which are less hardy thatn robins.... when the redwings show up- spring is not far behind.
Hope I will have time for some syrup making this spring.

HideHunter
03-01-2013, 01:05 PM
I had two redwings sitting in the bush behind the house yesterday. . in 6" of snow. Now that we have an abuncdance of the invasive Tatarian Honeysuckle we have robins pretty much year round. I don't trust any of those birds but the "jenny wren" (house wren). Never seen her wrong.

BarryBobPosthole
03-01-2013, 01:08 PM
For me its when the cedar waxwings show up, and that's right after the ash trees bud.

BKB

DeputyDog
03-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Does seeing several roadkill skunks count as a sign of spring?

Buckrub
03-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Today is "Freezing Yankee Weather".

This is the weather that, every time I've ever had any Yankees down here and this happens..........and they usually try to lambast me for feeling cold.........when they hit today's weather down here, they come in yelling "HOW DO YOU STAND THIS.....I'M FREEZING TO DEATH".......

High is 40. Doesn't sound bad. Total overcast. Very high humidity, wind from North at Blast Plus. Raw is best word.

March has come in like a Lion.

And it can get its catty self on outta here right now, for all I care.

BarryBobPosthole
03-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Oh one more sure sign of spring (that hasn't happened yet) is when that damned woodpecker starts hammering on the cap on my chimney. He does it every dang year.

BKB

Captain
03-02-2013, 08:52 AM
It's snowing here this morning....
UCK

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

hotshot
03-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Just as I look back over my comment fromlast week, we get a winter storm warning for Tuesday. Wintery mix all day and into night. sounds like it will show up once we are at school- so no day off-whichis fine as we will be in school in June now. Gimme a day at work in Feb/MArch, not June!

HideHunter
03-04-2013, 10:08 AM
6 " of snow and 8.5 degrees yeterday. Took my walk at daylight and the turkeys were gobbling their collective fool heads off... at least makes me "think" spring. ;)

Chicken Dinner
03-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Calling for snow here tomorrow night and Wednesday after not having more than a couple of dustings all winter. So much for "meterological" spring...

DeputyDog
03-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Early predictions for us is that it will hit us tomorrow morning and we "may" get 6-8 inches. Probably not though.

Did see a mature bald eagle feeding on a deer carcass out in a field though yesterday. They are getting more frequent around here, but still a big deal to see them. Tried to get some pictures, but it was too far out for the camera I had.

hotshot
03-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Since last winter, I have had numerous eagle sightings: Clear Lake and another that dive bombed my goose decoys last winter,this december: right behind my duck blind, and an immature down on Ball Lake.....
Hu- huh, I used immature and Ball in the same sentence!