PDA

View Full Version : Reading?

BarryBobPosthole
12-12-2022, 02:38 PM
Anybody?

After a long dry spell, I’m able to read and finish books again. I wish I could explain it. I know it has to do with the stress we were going through but two years is a long dry patch for an avid lifetime reader. Just couldn’t stay hooked up.

I’ve been reading some good fluffy stuff just for the hell of it. In the middle of Fire and Blood right now after I swore I wouldn’t read another Martin book after he fucked all of his fans leaving us hanging on for the end of the Game of Thrones series of books. I’m also reading Buffalo Girls by McMurtry. Its about Calamity Jane.

It feels good to have an attention span again!

BKB

quercus alba
12-12-2022, 03:17 PM
I never thought I’d get away from reading but I’ve become super sensitive to hard core profanity and it’s rare to find a relatively clean book that is interesting to me.

I’m really embracing curmudgeonhood

Penguin
12-13-2022, 12:00 PM
I'm reading Joe Pickett #12 right now: Force of nature.

Had quit the series after 10 because I thought the amount of lunacy that this game warden got into was a bit unbelievable. But after a year or so I decided to pick up on this one because Nate Romanowski is the main character. I'm in a few chapters and it is OK so far.

Might go back and reread Walt Longmire # 18 Hell and Back. It was VERY well done but it was from inside of the head of a guy who was concussed and in shock after getting car wrecked and shot. It really captured how your mind has some really strange levels and reality itself seems to be warped. But it is also a bit unsettling to read.

Will

BarryBobPosthole
12-13-2022, 12:23 PM
I’ve been through the Longmire series twice in books and twice on TV. Not quite ready for #3, but I predict I will be.

Is Lucien a good guy or a bad guy? He was one of my favorites. Kind of like The Grinch. A staunch conservationist that just wants to be left alone.

BKB

Thumper
12-13-2022, 01:46 PM
I kaint reed, but I look at pitchers reely good! ;)

Chicken Dinner
12-13-2022, 02:40 PM
I’m lucky if I can stay awake last 9pm. While I want to read more again, it’s hard as I do so much of tonsuring the day for work. I really miss the young adult fiction when my kids were tweens and early teens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quercus alba
12-13-2022, 02:44 PM
While I want to read more again, it’s hard as I do so much of tonsuring the day for work.

tonsuring. "To shave the hair on top of (a monk's or priest's head)"

You lead an interesting life my friend

Chicken Dinner
12-13-2022, 03:46 PM
It’s a living. [emoji2369]

jb
12-13-2022, 05:42 PM
I'm 78, have three college degrees and worked in Education for 31 years.
I can honestly say during all this time I've read cover to cover exactly one (1) book.
Learned in college to take detailed notes vs. reading the text, learned very quickly all the tests were made up of the prof's lectures.
Never found reading to be relaxing, always found better things to do with my time.
The only thing I read now is the daily newspaper and have learned to skim through the article picking out all the info I need.
Wife on the other hand is a voracious reader, checks out 5 or 6 hard cover novels every month form the library, reads every night before bedtime.

Trav
12-13-2022, 05:50 PM
I just finished American Buffalo InnSearch of a Lost Icon from Steve Rinella, it’s non fiction and really enjoyed it.

A hunt for the American buffalo—an adventurous, fascinating examination of an animal that has haunted the American imagination.

American Buffalo is a narrative tale of Rinella's hunt. But beyond that, it is the story of the many ways in which the buffalo has shaped our national identity. Rinella takes us across the continent in search of the buffalo’s past, present, and future: to the Bering Land Bridge, where scientists search for buffalo bones amid artifacts of the New World’s earliest human inhabitants; to buffalo jumps where Native Americans once ran buffalo over cliffs by the thousands; to the Detroit Carbon works, a "bone charcoal" plant that made fortunes in the late 1800s by turning millions of tons of buffalo bones into bone meal, black dye, and fine china; and even to an abattoir turned fashion mecca in Manhattan's Meatpacking District, where a depressed buffalo named Black Diamond met his fate after serving as the model for the American nickel.

DeputyDog
12-13-2022, 07:57 PM
I’ve always been a reader but it tends to go in streaks. I’ll read several books back to back, then go quite awhile without reading anything.

I’m currently in a non-reading phase.

Thumper
12-13-2022, 10:29 PM
Readin’ ‘em their rights isn’t considered reading Deppity! :)

Penguin
12-14-2022, 10:21 AM
I just finished American Buffalo InnSearch of a Lost Icon from Steve Rinella, it’s non fiction and really enjoyed it.

He's an interesting fellow isn't he? I actually did not first see him on MeatEater, he was one of a handful of narrators for a history channel series on American frontiersmen. He had some very interesting takes on the men that were profiled and the way things were in their respective lifetimes. I learned a good bit from that show.

Posty: Lucian Connally is a really good character, I agree. I think Johnson might have put him into the series and used him so much because he was someone who had that rough, but good natured, humor that you find in some of the more colorful characters from the depression era. He might call Henry "ladies wear" instead of Standing Bear but he respects him. He might have put some hair against the wall in his time but never veers from his own sense of right and wrong. I think he's there to remind us to be honest but fair about how we view our previous generations. They weren't all monsters, even when there were plenty of monstrous things done to the original inhabitants of Wyoming and the entirety of the west.

I liked his poem when he made his first TV appearance:

"The Cowboy has always been a dying breed.
But he takes his dying slowly, perched upon his steed.
The prairie is his prison, his church, his wife.
If you take away his sky, you take away his life.
Yet where does he go when the range is all closed?
Does he retire to his bunkhouse in depressed repose?
No, he climbs back in that saddle just to bide his time.
The Cowboy knows a good death is hard to find."

Will

johnboy
12-14-2022, 06:38 PM
Not a book but I'm watching a series on Prime right now that is based on a book - Rogue Heros by Ben Macintyre. An account of the creation of the SAS. WW2, North Africa, Tobruk, dessert rats and all that stuff. I'm on episode 5 and it's been pretty good so far. I had no idea the famous SAS came about this way.

LJ3
01-01-2023, 04:27 PM
I really enjoyed reading two series over the years. First is Odd Thomas by Dean Kootnz. I don't normally read stuff like that but it's really good! Second is the series by William Kent Kruger. I read This Tender Land which was really good, then by luck of the draw grabbed the first in a series with Cork O'Connor which grabbed me for over a year. It gets a little formulaic at times but what series doesn't. I was still buying the last two books in hardcover and demolished them.

Neither one is gonna set the pultizer world on fire but I liked the stories and they were engaging to me.