PDA

View Full Version : Here we go Bucky

BarryBobPosthole
02-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Let the hoohah begin.
BKB

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/01/the-telephone-network-is-obsolete-get-ready-for-the-all-ip-telco/

DeputyDog
02-28-2013, 08:33 PM
What does this mean in English?

Buckrub
02-28-2013, 08:35 PM
It's come a long way since Spray and Pray.

I remember when a certain unnamed company put all their eggs in the ATM basket, saying IP would never make it. I had no clue either way, just remember them saying it.

Still, what floors me is the folks.......like my fishing partner for one.......and a guy at hunting camp.......that sign up for the cable company's version for $45 a month, or the ATT U-Verse for about the same...when Magic Jack is less than TWO bucks a month. I know, you don't care for it, but it really is the same stuff, and it works....I have friends that use it, no problems. Regardless of its shortcomings, it does represent more of the 'true' cost of VoIP.

(Was all that hoohah? I get confused)

Buckrub
02-28-2013, 08:38 PM
It means that PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) is history, in the eyes of this writer........to be replaced with Voice over IP (Internet Protocol). Digitization of voice made it possible. Now voice is just another stream of data. It takes about 64k, or one channel of a digital stream, to accurately replicate voice. But it used to be scratchy, dropped, faded, you name it. Plus, IP offers no true 'guaranteed duplex (two way) transmission'.......it relies on the quality of the send/receive equipment to ensure it all works. That sucked for years, but it's gotten good now.

Besides, who knows how much of the PSTN Carriers are actually using VoIP for part of the transmission, anyway.

All at the speed of Posthole's Mind. Amazing stuff.

BarryBobPosthole
02-28-2013, 11:08 PM
I feel like a dinosaur. When I started we called it POTS, Plain Old Telephone Service. And that's no joke. I've worked on a brazillian of them.

BKB

Buckrub
03-01-2013, 10:42 AM
POTS
Demarc
829's
X.25

I just wonder if the PSTN dies, how is your regulated side gonna deliver 'last mile' orders? Send an IP address to connect to??? :suspicion:

Thumper
03-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Due to her remarrying and both of us relocating through the years, my ex-wife and I eventually lost contact with each other. During a few net searches over the years, I'd eventually come up with an address but could never find a good phone number. One day I was talking to an old Army bud in N. California and he asked about her. (She and his Thai wife were friend years ago but they'd lost contact also) I told him how I'd found different addresses through the years (it appears they move a lot) but could never come up with a good number. He asked the address and he said, "We'll crap! That's like 10 minutes from me!" He and his wife drove over and knocked on the door. Sure enough, the ex was there. They had a great reunion and get together on weekends quite often now, plus I got the correct number and we have now established contact again. Seems they use that Magic Jack thingy and its the only phone they use. I will say, we talk quite often and if they hadn't told me, I'd have never known. I've always seen the ads but figured it was something hokey. They don't pay squat for phone service.