PDA

View Full Version : Continuous glucose monitor

quercus alba
02-14-2023, 02:52 PM
Best thing since sliced bread. I wear mine on my upper arm and it updates and charts every five minutes. It also keeps a running avg up tp 90 days

Thumper
02-14-2023, 03:24 PM
Don’t know squat about this stuff. I’ve hovered at pre-diabetic and diabetic for years. My doc has constantly told me to lose weight and it would probably fix the problem. My sugar eventually crossed the line and I started taking Metformin a couple years ago, but losing weight takes more discipline than I possess. I’m sure I’ll wait until I get punched in the face somewhere down the line and if I live through it, I may take this sugar thing a little more seriously. I know, I’m a total dumb ass. :(

quercus alba
02-14-2023, 03:58 PM
Jimbo, I think you're in great shape for a man of 80+ years. Eat what you want

BarryBobPosthole
02-14-2023, 04:09 PM
My son is type 1 and wears a pump along with a glucose monitor like that. it's really turned his health around. At least from a diabetes mgt perspective.

Those are good #s QA!

BKB

Thumper
02-14-2023, 04:29 PM
Jimbo, I think you're in great shape for a man of 80+ years. Eat what you want

But what if I’m only 70+ ? :(

Trav
02-15-2023, 10:15 PM
I use a freestyle libre but it’s pretty much the same thing. It’s been great, I am up to 172# lost and my last A1C was 5.6 so I am close to being taken completely off all my diabetics meds.

Thumper
02-15-2023, 11:41 PM
A big congrats Trav. I wish I had your discipline. When I went through all my medical issues and surgeries, etc, I pretty much had to give up everything I loved due to physical restrictions. Just walking to the mailbox and back is a major effort these days.

The problem is, due to my inability to get around well, any decent exercise just isn’t possible. I’ve always been a foodie and love to eat, but the fact that’s one of the few things I can still physically do and enjoy, it’s really affected the waistline. Packing my pie-hole and getting zilch for exercise is not a good combination. Unfortunately, KNOWING what I need to do and actually DOING it, are two different things. :(

BarryBobPosthole
02-16-2023, 09:06 AM
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but what’s gonna happen when insurance companies offer much lower premium rates to people who allow them access to their fitness tracker data and smart diabetes management equipment? Wouldthat be fair? The do the same for safe drivers.

BKB

quercus alba
02-16-2023, 12:53 PM
You can already share it with you doctor using the app

I don't

BarryBobPosthole
02-16-2023, 01:04 PM
Oh hell yeah, it's already out there. I see my test results now at the same time my doctor sees them. All of my bio data from whoever I see is already kept in at least one place on line. That data is worth a mint to insurance and big Pharma. It'll be the next big data breach we read about in the papers. Or maybe we won't. But some day we'll pay a health insurance rate based on our genetics, biodata, and lifestyle. Hide and watch.

BKB

DeputyDog
02-16-2023, 01:42 PM
And to take it a step further, at what point do they use that data to determine the level of healthcare that you will have access to? Will they decide to give preferential treatment to those who live a healthier lifestyle and do not have the genetic pre-determination toward certain diseases, as opposed to those that do not live a healthy lifestyle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
02-16-2023, 02:15 PM
Not just health insurance. Life insurance too. and combine all of this with the DNA information that the various ancestry companies are gathering on people and it becomes a Gordian knot pretty quickly.
I saw a documentary about the DNA program in Iceland. They are collecting, or have collected DNA for every citizen of Iceland, ostensibly to try to forecast the kinds of healthcare the population will require in the future. All very nice. But man, what a can of worms!

BKB

Thumper
02-16-2023, 02:54 PM
…. and smokers? Drinkers? Drug users? Skiers? Motorcycle riders? Skydivers? Wimmins chasers. Sheep boinkers? Where does it end?

BarryBobPosthole
02-16-2023, 02:59 PM
Sounds like Bobby Petrino is in some deep shit.

BKB