PDA

View Full Version : Travel question

DeputyDog
02-15-2023, 10:40 AM
My wife and I are going to be heading Texas in about three weeks for a family wedding. It’s in a small town between Austin and San Antonio called Dripping Springs. We’re going to have about four days to do some sightseeing. For any of you that have been down that way, what would you recommend?

My only experience in Texas is the DFW airport, so it will all be new to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
02-15-2023, 10:53 AM
I have spent a lot of time in that area. you're going to have a good time. If it was summer I'd say don't dare miss the Guadalupe river. Still lots to see. My personal preference would be to lean more towards Austin than San Antonio but both are fun. There's Gruene Hall, a really cool old dance hall with live music a lot of times, San Marcos is a really cool little town.
Brush up on your German. Lots of Germans settled there, the influence is everywhere. I predict family fun.

Oh yeah, go eat at Chueys. County Line BBQ in Austin is another can't miss lace to eat.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
02-15-2023, 11:24 AM
I checked and unless they come early, the bridge bats on Congress ave bridge won't be there. They are something to behold. They don't get there until late March though.

BKB

Thumper
02-15-2023, 01:07 PM
I second the Austin over San Antonio suggestion, although both have their high points. My dad lived in San Antonio for many years, up until he passed away, so I’ve been there often.

I have family in Austin so I’ve been there quite a few times also. I’m not big into touristy stuff, but on a visit such as yours, it’s definitely the thing to do. As P-hole said, you’ll be just a tad early for the bats, so that’s a bummer.

TBH, although Austin is a super Liberal (college town), it’s a really cool city. We stayed in the Riverwalk area one year and enjoyed it. It’s super touristy, but can be a fun day. If you have thick skin and have a good sense of humor, I’d recommend stopping at Dick’s Last Resort. (Riverwalk) It’s a fun place to grab a beer and some eats. Just plan on being totally insulted and completely humiliated. Seriously, hit the place in a good mood and you’ll have a shitload of fun. ;)

I made the mistake of flirting with one of the waitresses and she made a hat for me. [emoji30]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230215/cf0c3a18bebac394d58927e8c6e96829.jpg

For BBQ, you HAVE to run out to Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood (basically a suburb of Austin). It’s a must do imho.

I don’t really know what you and the wife enjoy most, but Austin has something for everybody. The biggest negative? The traffic SUCKS BIG WEENIES!! So be prepared. Avoid I-35 at all costs during rush hour.

My suggestion is to Google something like “things to do in Austin” and pick what interests you. There will be no shortage of options. The city is also packed with parks and nature preserves if you’re looking for a quieter visit.

DeputyDog
02-15-2023, 01:59 PM
The river walk is in SA right? My in-laws are going to be with us so Dick’s would not be one of the options. I’ve been to one before.

We will probably hit the touristy things in SA like the Riverwalk and the Alamo. We planned on hitting Austin as well. We have been told about San Marcos and Fredericksburg.

Thanks for the restaurant tips!

BarryBobPosthole
02-15-2023, 02:59 PM
Stop over in Arlen and see Hank and Peggy!

BKB

Thumper
02-15-2023, 06:54 PM
Yeah Deppity, Riverwalk is in San Antonio. Sorry, I was going back and forth and made it clear as mud.

Bwana
02-16-2023, 11:22 AM
Have never been to Austin, but have been to SA. If you go to the Alamo, I suggest purchasing one of the little walking tour walkie talkie things that will tell you what you are looking at unless you can get a guided tour. Its been quite a while, but when I was there we liked the seafood joint along Riverwalk but then again I live in the middle of the continent so it might not be as good for those with better access to it.

Have fun!

BarryBobPosthole
02-16-2023, 12:34 PM
Julie and I spent a July 4th with friends on Lake Travisback in the mid 90's. Six of us rented a pontoon boat and just cruised around partying all day. Let's just say the talent on that lake is outstanding! And VERY visible ifyouknowwhatImeanandIthinkyoudo.
BKB

DeputyDog
02-16-2023, 01:39 PM
Julie and I spent a July 4th with friends on Lake Travisback in the mid 90's. Six of us rented a pontoon boat and just cruised around partying all day. Let's just say the talent on that lake is outstanding! And VERY visible ifyouknowwhatImeanandIthinkyoudo.
BKB

You must have missed the part where I said my in-laws were going with us. [emoji12]

We used to houseboat on Lake Cumberland in KY every summer. There were a couple of hang out spots there where things really did all hang out.

We have a large sandbar on the lake I keep my boat on that gets pretty wild on the weekends but especially the 4th.

DeputyDog
02-16-2023, 08:08 PM
Stop over in Arlen and see Hank and Peggy!

BKB

I could use some propane accessories and I do like Apple Brown Betty. [emoji12]

BarryBobPosthole
02-16-2023, 08:44 PM
Don't know if you've seen it but Hank and Peggy and the gang are coming back.
BKB

https://deadline.com/2023/01/king-of-the-hill-revival-hulu-original-cast-returning-1235245072/

DeputyDog
02-16-2023, 09:17 PM
I hadn’t seen that. Wonder if it will be as good.

BarryBobPosthole
02-16-2023, 09:47 PM
Reboots seldom are. Mike Judge is pretty savvy though.

I read an article once about how much most fans of the show love Judge’s characters so much that they don’t realize how much he is making fun of them. I rewatch the entire series againfrom that viewpoint and its true! Its entirely ever bit as irreverent as B&B ever was.

BKB