PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Fishing

Trav
02-20-2023, 10:36 PM
Well I am headed to Valdez Alaska for a fishing trip this August, I am pretty excited. Plan on 3 days on the ocean fishing for halibut, silver Salmon, Rockfish & some Dungeness Crab and 3 days on the rivers for Kings, rainbow trout ect.

DeputyDog
02-20-2023, 10:38 PM
Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
02-21-2023, 05:31 AM
Shouldn’t this be posted in the Fishing Forum?

No wait! Do we HAVE a fishing forum? ;)

Great news Trav. Sounds like an exciting trip!

Hombre
02-21-2023, 10:52 AM
You're gonna love it.

BarryBobPosthole
02-21-2023, 11:03 AM
Say hey to Sarah while you're up there!

Those halibuts sound like a blast. Billy Graham (Paul's BIL) told a flat out hilarious story about catching one off the end of a dock with him laying down with a foot on each post at the end to keep from getting dragged into the water. You have to know Billy to really get the complete hilarious picture.

BKB

johnboy
02-21-2023, 02:28 PM
That should be an amazing trip! Hope you see lots of critters on and in the water. A big hali will for sure put a bend in your rod and your back.

Bwana
02-21-2023, 05:31 PM
Color me jealous in that I would LOVE to catch me one of those big ol' KING salmon! Given how the little kings we have here fight, I have dreams of hearing the drag scream when tied into a big, ocean-run king. I'm not opposed to eating large amounts of dungeness crab, especially if someone else does all the work of getting the meat out of the shell for me.

Have fun and take lots of pictures!

johnboy
02-21-2023, 06:44 PM
Funny how salmon names change depending on where you are. What you call 'kings' we call chinook or springs and if over 30 lbs we call them tyee (which I think means king, go figure). That's a small spring I'm holding in my pic. A most beautiful fish when fresh from the water. SILVER with black markings and a greenish tint on the back. Here they come in both red and white flesh versions depending on what river they spawned in. I find the whites a little stronger in flavour and don't care to eat them. We have springs, coho (my personal fave), pinks and chum in this area.

Bwana
02-22-2023, 01:26 PM
Here in North Dakota where they have been stocked in Lake Sakakawea they are kings are referred to as Chinooks.

On a related note, it is my understanding the Steelhead is the name given to ocean run, or Great Lakes run, rainbow trout, but don't quote me on that.

johnboy
02-22-2023, 03:14 PM
Steelhead is for sure a sea run rainbow. Beautiful fish! We also have sea run cutthroat but they are much smaller.

Chicken Dinner
02-22-2023, 04:12 PM
Count me in the jealousy column with respect to fishing Alaska. I’m trying to decide right now if my next big splurge is that or maybe Elk hunting in the Rockies. I’m feeling the urge to put some tracks in some new mud as Larke used to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Skyz
02-27-2023, 12:10 PM
I did this year before last. We went out of Seward. Bottom line this type of fishing trip to Alaska just doesn't suck!!!