PDA

View Full Version : Thumper

BarryBobPosthole
02-22-2023, 09:18 AM
We have a new Hmong restaurant in Tulsa. I don’t recall ever having heard of or tried Hmong cuisine. of all asian foods, Vietnamese is probably my favorite. I have no idea if its similar. The main offerings seem to be pork belly, stuffed chicken wings, etc.

I’m going to give it a try, what should I try? No bugs please, unless they’re from the lobster variety.

BKB

quercus alba
02-22-2023, 12:40 PM
I don't know about Hmong but there's a Filipino joint that opened in my old home town I'd like to try......the blueberry cheesecake eggrolls look larrupin

Thumper
02-22-2023, 01:03 PM
Wow P-hole. I’ll give you fair warning, this will be a major Thump post! First, I’m sitting at the carwash, waiting for my car to come through, so I’ll give you a little background, then probably get into the foodie post once I get home.

Actually, I don’t believe there is a “Hmong food”. I’ve spent a LOT of time with the Hmong and have even lived in Hmong villages in Northern Laos. The Hmong were actually Chinese who were exiled by one of the Chinese dynasties way back when (don’t remember why). Most ended up in Laos, but also some went to Vietnam and Thailand.

I lived in a small village in Isaan (N. E. Thailand) for close to three years. Isaan would compare to the coal mining towns in the hills of West Virginia or the back hills of Kentucky. Thai rednecks if you will. The language I first learned was a mix of Thai and Laotian. I had to learn a whole new dialect when I moved down south (Bangkok area) where “pure” Thai is spoken. Otherwise I sounded like Larke in New York City and was immediately pegged as an “ignernt farang” trying to speak Thai.

But back to why I say I’m not sure what Hmong food really is. Their native food was Chinese. If they fled to Laos, it’s a combination of Chinese and Laotian food. The ones who migrated to Southern Laos and/or Thailand, would adopt a bit of the Thai food into their cuisine. Same for ‘Nam, etc. What it amounts to is where the owners/cooks at your particular “Hmong” restaurant came from, will determine the style food they serve. We worked with the Hmong during ‘Nam to fight the Pathet Lao and they were supplied by the CIA. The Hmong were the equivalent of the Montagnards in Vietnam. When we bailed out of S. E. Asia, many of the Hmong came here as refugees.

I’m assuming the family may have fled Laos after the war, so the food will probably be very close to Lao food. (?) If you won’t eat bugs, I’m SURE you won’t eat their raw blood soup (Leuad Peng Ped)! They immediately adopted me as one of their own because I’d eat it with them. The Lao/Hmong “usually” use duck blood, in Isaan it was usually pig blood, although I’ve also had chicken blood.

But I just had to throw that in there to mess with you. I’m sure the restaurant is Americanized and doubt Leuad Peng Ped would be on the menu. ;)

They’re about finished wiping my car down and cleaning the windows, so I’ll hit you with some serious suggestions once I get back home. In the meantime, do they have an on-line menu? That may help as I could see what style they’ve adopted and maybe steer you in the right direction.

Chix Dinner might be able to chime in here.

Chicken Dinner
02-22-2023, 04:09 PM
We never ate much “Lao” food when we lived in Laos. (Other than street food that I’d grab when I was out and about.). We do have a couple of very good local Lao restaurants here that I go to from time to time. I’d got a step further and even say that also food in general is a mishmash of Thai, Vietnamese and Chinese foods as they were conquered by just about all the neighboring bullies at one time or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
02-22-2023, 04:36 PM
Actually, Siam/Thailand is the only country in S. E. Asia that has never been conquered/colonized. (In case that ever comes up as a trivia question) ;)

P-hole, here’s why it’s a bit difficult to answer your question. If the menu has English descriptions, it may be easier to just get adventurous and wing it. This is from the net:

“As the Hmong language was not widely written until the 1950s, Hmong cuisine has been, until recently, passed on by elders of the community. Any actual Hmong dishes are purely of oral tradition and can vary from clan to clan or family to family. These differences are largely based on the country of residence and available resources. While Hmong restaurants are extremely rare in Asia, they have become more popular in the countries of Hmong diaspora. While such establishments are generally owned by members of the Hmong community, menu items are generally not identifiable as a part of a cuisine specific to the Hmong.

However, it is common to find popular East and Southeast Asian dishes labeled as "Hmong" in such establishments. For example, "Hmong Chicken Wings" are commonly found on appetizer menus in Hmong restaurants. In this dish, the chicken is general marinaded in most of the spices used in other dishes preferred by the Hmong. In recent years, Hmong cuisine has enjoyed a rise in popularity in areas where truly authentic Asian restaurants are limited. This is largely a result of increased acceptance of the Hmong in their new communities.“

Chicken Dinner
02-22-2023, 04:44 PM
Send us a link to their menu and we’ll hook you up. No blood soup or bugs on a stick. I promise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
02-22-2023, 04:50 PM
Oh, and as a side note, if I were there, I’d definitely jump at the chance to try the place out. It may suck, or could become a favorite. Like anything else I suppose. I’d love to see an on-line menu if they have one. Then I’d know what it is they’re labeling as “Hmong”.

Edit: Oops! You beat me to it Chix. A menu would be nice.

Thumper
02-22-2023, 04:56 PM
I don't know about Hmong but there's a Filipino joint that opened in my old home town I'd like to try......the blueberry cheesecake eggrolls look larrupin

Q/A, if you happen to check it out, go for the adobo (I prefer the pork). It’s my favorite and Lynn will make a big ol’ pot of the stuff from time to time. Hers is as good as any I’ve ever had in the Philippines.

But “blueberry cheesecake eggrolls”??? Sounds like some yuppie joint LJ would go to for lunch. ;)

quercus alba
02-22-2023, 06:44 PM
Jim, my wife makes chicken adobo on a regular basis and everyone including me loves it

Thumper
02-22-2023, 08:12 PM
Well duh! That’s pretty much a no-brainer! Excuse the temporary brain fart! Like I’m telling you something you don’t already know.

Lynn likes the chicken better and many times mixes a pork butt and chicken thighs/drumsticks or quarters in the pot. I like both, but prefer the pork.

My second favorite is longanisa with garlic rice and fried egg. Now THAT is larrupin!

Dang, now that I think about it, I’m not sure which is my favorite. I must be hungry! :)

Thumper
02-23-2023, 01:26 PM
Just like P-hole. He jumps in here, starts a thread by asking a question, then totally disappears!

Thumper
04-22-2023, 02:52 PM
Figured I’d bring this back to the top. We’ll P-hole, did you ever check the place out?