PDA

View Full Version : Winter storm

DeputyDog
02-23-2023, 08:50 AM
We had a major ice storm go through my area yesterday. The temps stayed around 30-32 and it rained all day. We got around 2.5 inches of rain which all froze on the trees and power lines. There is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice on the trees and power lines and it got pretty windy. Thankfully the roads didn’t get really bad because the road crews kept on top of it with the salt and sand.

There are around 10,000 homes without power from all the fallen tree limbs coming down on power lines. Luckily I didn’t lose power at my house but my in-laws have been without power since last yesterday afternoon and aren’t expected to get it restored until this afternoon.

At least it’s supposed to warm up to 50 today before the high wind warning takes effect this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
02-23-2023, 09:17 AM
Dang! That sucks! I have a buddy in Oregon and it rarely freezes there on the coast, but he’s expecting 3-4 days of freezing weather and snow. Hope all works out well and you don’t lose power.

We’re having the opposite down here. It’s a bit warmer than I’d like, but we can always head to the beach so I can do a bit of “sightseeing”. [emoji6]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230223/a49b6529146375e1ed59563432f7dca0.jpg

DeputyDog
02-23-2023, 10:13 AM
I’ve been working yesterday and today and we’ve been doing a lot of checks on older people who haven’t had any co tact with their families. The common thread is they have gotten rid of their land lines and only have cell phones. No power so they can’t charge them and many can’t get their cars out of the garage because of having garage door openers and being older can’t lift the door by themselves, so they can’t run the car to charge their phones if the car charger doesn’t work without the car being on.

How many of you have a cell only?

Glad I don’t have an electric only car that needs charged. [emoji12]

Thumper
02-23-2023, 11:00 AM
I held out for way too many years as there was a looooooong stretch (5-10 years?) where we received NOTHING but sales calls on our land-line. I finally got sick of paying for nothing.

We have the same power loss issues here with hurricanes. I used to have a large Generac generator to run the whole house (except a/c), but only needed it once for 2-days. When I bought the motor home, I sold my generator to a buddy of mine.

The plan now is, if we should ever need it, we can power the house with the motor home generator. The motorhome is diesel and the diesel generator runs off the chassis fuel tank (which is always topped off). We can also move into the motor home for a/c and just use the generator to run the fridge and freezer in the house. We’re self-contained, so have all the comforts of home plus 8 different cooking options.

Bwana
02-23-2023, 12:55 PM
Ice storms flat out suck, I will take our winter snow blizzards any time over freezing rain. We are a tad bit colder here, currently 9 below zero with a forecast of 23 below zero for tonight! Needless to say, no ice here, only snow.

Thumper
02-23-2023, 01:01 PM
23 BELOW???? I can’t even imagine.

DeputyDog
02-23-2023, 03:56 PM
It was definitely some hardy folk that decided to settle that part of the country.

Thumper
02-23-2023, 04:19 PM
Hardy? Or insane? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
02-23-2023, 06:51 PM
Man ice storms are the pits. My Mom still hatescthe scent of candles from huge one they had about 20 years ago. It looked like a war zone.

BKB

Bwana
02-25-2023, 11:03 PM
Deputy Dog, I agree with you, those folks back in the day were TOUGH! They had none of the wonder fabrics, insulation, etc. that we wimps do these days.

As it turns out, we hit a record low for Thursday night when it ended up hitting -29 degrees. It was a bit chilly that morning.

johnboy
02-27-2023, 02:32 PM
Got another dump of 'Global Warming' this morning. Been coming down since last Fri. Any more and I'll need a snowblower. This really is unusual for here this time of year. Should be warmish and rainy not snowing. So wth is really going on - warming or cooling?

DeputyDog
02-27-2023, 04:45 PM
Johnboy, I think we have your weather here this week. In the mid 40’s and rain. That’s “warmish” for us at the end of February.

We’ve gotten at least 4 inches of rain since Wednesday.

johnboy
02-27-2023, 08:51 PM
Sounds good to me DD. Send some my way.