PDA

View Full Version : Lynyrd Skynyrd

Thumper
03-08-2023, 09:17 AM
We have a huge festival here every year (Strawberry Festival). Lynn and I used to volunteer to work there (I got all the free strawberry shortcake I could eat ;) ), but in more recent years, we normally just go for the concerts. They have a new band every day and they’re always well known groups from rock to country. Lynyrd Skynyrd will be here Sunday and like most of the old bands still touring, there are very few original members. In fact, Gary Rossington was the only founding member left, but he passed away Sunday. I just heard the band is still going to play this coming Sunday, as scheduled. I suppose that’s a good thing, but it just seems kind of odd to me. As far as I know, there hasn’t even been a funeral yet. Gary was a local guy (born in Jacksonville) and was only 1-month older than me. Seeing people my age, dropping like flies, is starting to get way too common these days. RIP Gary. :(

BarryBobPosthole
03-08-2023, 10:20 AM
Skynyrd stopped being Skynyrd when van zant and the gaines passed. I was in St Pete during those glory years for them and saw them several times, mostly right there where you live Jim.

BKB

Thumper
03-08-2023, 10:50 AM
Yessir, that plane crash was the “real” end. I liked some of their music and they had some great hits, but tbh, I really can’t say I was a huge fan. It just strikes me as a bit weird that they haven’t cancelled the concert, out of respect, if nothing else. I have no idea when the funeral will be, but his death will be exactly one week prior, so I’d have to think soon. I mean, it’s a podunk local strawberry festival, not the Hollywood Bowl.

DeputyDog
03-08-2023, 05:38 PM
There’s a pretty good documentary on Netflix now about Skynyrd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quercus alba
03-09-2023, 09:58 AM
I sometiimes wonder if maybe there wasn't a yankee salesman in the woodshed because I man be the only southern raised white boy there is that doesn't like Skynyrd and in particular freebird. Only song they did that I liked was gimme three steps. Of course I don't care for Clapton or Micheal Martin Murphy either but I just consider that as just having good taste

Chicken Dinner
03-10-2023, 11:02 AM
I caught “Skynyrd” in concert maybe ten years ago. Bad Company opened for them and blew them away. It seemed like they were mostly mailing it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
03-10-2023, 03:52 PM
I’m a huge Bad Company fan. Never been to a BC concert though. :(

quercus alba
03-10-2023, 05:02 PM
Len made a snide remark about me liking Bad Company once, obviously the man knows nothing about music.....:poke