PDA

View Full Version : Gone Fishing

BarryBobPosthole
04-13-2023, 07:27 AM
Keith and I are headed out this morning to go fishing for the first time since all of this heart stuff started in Feb. We got a Jan trip in but its been TWO FRIGGIn MONTHS!
Headed down to where my son lives to fish the Illinois River to go for some Neosho strain smallies. Two of my uncles took four or five of us cousins for a week of primitive (back of a Rambler station wagon) camping and fishing when we were kids. We were wild as March hares. Boy did we take home some odious piles of laundry! And we caught the poo out of smallies.
The neosho smallmouth is a strain unique to this part of the Ozarks. The river has been dammed and stock with a Tennessee lake smallie strain thats pretty much rubbed out or interbred the Neosho strain. But we’re going far enough river that we may find a little band or two of them!

Enjoy your spring day! Gonna be a beaut here!

BkB

Trav
04-13-2023, 08:21 AM
Have a great time, smallies are sure fun to catch.

Hombre
04-13-2023, 10:18 AM
Let's get some pics of you two

quercus alba
04-13-2023, 08:31 PM
a picture of just the fish and possibly some scenery will be sufficient.

me and a buddy of mine are going to try out a spot reserved for senior citizens at a nearby management area in the morning. Maybe catch a mess of channel cat and a white perch or two

johnboy
04-14-2023, 02:01 PM
Some of my favourite memories of youngster-hood are wading the local streams and rivers catching smallies. Man, that was great!

BarryBobPosthole
04-14-2023, 05:09 PM

I’m bad about taking pics lately. This isn’t a good pic of the river at all but it gives you a sense of how we had this river all to our lonesomes for the entire day. Its really a pretty river.

From what I can find on it, the bestest easiest way to ID a Neosho smallie is their lower lip/jaw protrudes past its upper jaw. I tried to get a pic with his damned mouth closed but he was like Kribbs. With his mouth shut his lower lip protruded like he had a dip in. I caught others where their mouths lined up more plumb so I figured they were the interlopers. I also noticed that the fins on the lake strain looked darker when they were swimming in the water, but I haven’t read that anywhere. Might just be how their coloration changes based on where they hang out.

BKB

Thumper
04-14-2023, 07:13 PM
Looks relaxing .... oh, and you sir, can bite me!

Arty
04-19-2023, 06:33 AM
Keith and I are headed out this morning to go fishing for the first time since all of this heart stuff started in Feb. We got a Jan trip in but its been TWO FRIGGIn MONTHS!
Headed down to where my son lives to fish the Illinois River to go for some Neosho strain smallies. Two of my uncles took four or five of us cousins for a week of primitive (back of a Rambler station wagon) camping and fishing when we were kids. We were wild as March hares. Boy did we take home some odious piles of laundry! And we caught the poo out of smallies.
The neosho smallmouth is a strain unique to this part of the Ozarks. The river has been dammed and stock with a Tennessee lake smallie strain thats pretty much rubbed out or interbred the Neosho strain. But we’re going far enough river that we may find a little band or two of them!

Enjoy your spring day! Gonna be a beaut here!

BkB

Smallie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken Dinner
04-19-2023, 07:01 AM
You know, pound for pound the fest fighting freshwater fish in North America. I’m sure you’re familiar…[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
04-19-2023, 07:17 AM
:fishhooked