PDA

View Full Version : LIV

Hombre
06-07-2023, 01:04 PM
I'm not sure many here pay attention to Golf but there has been a lot of activity in the golf world lately. The PGA has always been the premier organization when it came to professional golf. A year or two ago the Saudi PIF fund decided they were going to start a competitive league called LIV. They came in with deep pockets and offered some of the biggest names big $ to switch leagues. Phil Mickelson got $200M and several others secured pay days for $100M. For a lot of people it was life changing money.

When all this went down the PGA CEO came out with some pretty strong statements. He said the PGA would NEVER merge with LIV, that the Saudi PIF fund was blood money and tied to 9/11, and everyone that defected should look in the mirror if they go there and ask themselves if they're ok with that. Several PGA stars stayed, Rory turned down $400M, and Tiger turned down and estimated $800M. Friendships were fractured.

As of yesterday LIV and the PGA merged, with the PGA CEO calling it LIV an honorable organization. A few of my thoughts on this

1) Companies aren't at all altruistic, they are going to do what is profitable whether that is for the good of people or not.

2) When a company says "be loyal" what that means is support us so we can profit.

On two how upset do you think the "loyal" golfers are that they left 100s of millions on the table only to be joined by their counterparts who profited, while the PGA CEO will undoubtedly make millions on this too.

johnboy
06-07-2023, 01:54 PM
Money talks. I chuckled when I heard about this 'merger' yesterday after all the previous hysteria about LIV.

Thumper
06-07-2023, 06:04 PM
Your last sentence/paragraph was the first thing that came to my mind after reading of the merger. That’s what loyalty gets you sometimes.

(Ask P-hole what “loyalty” did to his first retirement account) [emoji849]