PDA

View Full Version : Smoke

johnboy
06-08-2023, 12:49 PM
Don't know if any of you guys are getting smoke from the 100's of forest fire up here. Our boreal forests all across Canada are burning. Almost all of these fires are man-caused with the majority being arson. Rest assured however that our Dear Leader is imposing more Carbon Taxes on a grateful populace. This bold act to combat CLIMATE CHANGE should instantly solve the problem of idiots setting forests on fire. Thank goodness for intelligent leadership.

quercus alba
06-08-2023, 02:17 PM
intelligence and leadership cross paths so rarely it's more of an anomaly than coincidence

DeputyDog
06-08-2023, 02:23 PM
We are getting the air quality warnings because of it and there is a bit of a haze. It did make the full moon look pretty cool the other day as it rose. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230608/b34c1ffd5269b0e262bbb58894a6a590.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
06-08-2023, 05:20 PM
Looks like a real mess up that way. No effects down here, other than various delays affecting flights originating or passing through Northern airports.

Bwana
06-29-2023, 04:56 PM
Only minimal issues over the last couple of weeks but before that there were days you couldn't hardly see across the street.

I haven't bothered to look into the scale but what I read our average air quality number is 30 and the day I mentioned above it was 698!

Penguin
06-30-2023, 09:32 AM
The moon around here has looked like that too DD. And lots of haze in the daytime. I was talking to mom yesterday and neither one of us could recall having that happen with fires all the way up in Canada. They did a big controlled burn in Virginia that smoked us up a couple years ago but nothing that had been going on and off for a month.

I know it is unpleasant. Went running yesterday morning and could smell it a few times.

Will

DeputyDog
06-30-2023, 09:49 AM
We are getting it really bad now and for the past several days. Constant haze in the air and a slight smell of smoke even. I don't remember ever seeing anything like this from fires so far away.

They have been cancelling outside events for the past several days, including games for the local minor league baseball team.

quercus alba
06-30-2023, 10:19 AM
It's all those gas powered stoves

BarryBobPosthole
06-30-2023, 12:21 PM
We’ve only had some pretty sunrises and sunsets from it here. We’re prolly a bit far south for the worse of it.

I remember one summer at Dogtooth those big airplanes were scooping up water pretty regular from one of the big basins. Really cool to watch. we joked about how many big northerns got picked up and dropped in the woods somewhere random.
BKB

johnboy
06-30-2023, 02:06 PM
There have been 46 fires so far this year on Vancouver Island. Every single one was caused by stupid people. Every single one.