PDA

View Full Version : Marine f35 Crashed

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2023, 08:37 PM
Pilot is prolly beat up pretty good. Chuck Yeager said once the ejecting from a jet is committing suicide to keep from getting killed.
Glad that jarhead pilot is safe!
They found it some in SC is what I just read.
BKb

Thumper
09-19-2023, 06:46 PM
I’ve been following this story and have just been rolling my eyes and shaking my head. First, the Chinese flew 4 danged balloons over the country before we ever had a clue. Now we lose a $100,000,000 f’ing military jet and have to ask everyone in the country to give them a call if anybody should find it crashed in their back yard. Are you frigging kidding me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
09-20-2023, 09:36 AM
I read a story yesterday that said when flying in a formation of two, the wing man turns off his transponder. That and the plane flew 60 miles on its own before it crashed. Which was fortunate/unfortunate for thosetrying to locate it. I mean, it is a stealth fighter after all. Fortunate from a collateral damagestandpoint, but I’d imagine that pilot has some ‘splainin’ to do.
BKB

Thumper
09-20-2023, 11:07 AM
Which begs the question … the plane was on auto-pilot, but only made it 60 miles before it crashed (presumably because it ran out of fuel?) Why else would it crash? Nobody has said why the pilot bailed in the first place. Those things would go 60 miles in the blink of an eye. I wonder if he bailed because he was out of fuel? Would he have had enough to get back to base and land? 60 miles worth would be like a cup full in a car. Ya’ think somebody f’d up and forgot to refuel the aircraft? It was a training mission. So many questions.

DeputyDog
09-20-2023, 01:27 PM
There must be more to it because I saw where they grounded the entire fleet of f-35's (at least the Marine Corps ones) for a couple days until they get some answers.

BarryBobPosthole
09-20-2023, 02:33 PM
Not sure if its a feature or a bug, but the f35 also has an ‘autoeject mode’ in the gyrene version of it. I think they don’t knowyet if maybe the plane punched him out on its own.

BKB

DeputyDog
09-20-2023, 02:41 PM
As an old Air Force guy, I'm surprised you didn't comment that the "auto eject" was needed because Marines weren't smart enough to punch out on their own. :biggrin

Chicken Dinner
09-20-2023, 03:25 PM
Jesus, can you imagine the sensation of getting auto-ejected if you weren’t in Zoe to getxpecting it?

BarryBobPosthole
09-20-2023, 07:11 PM
As an old Air Force guy, I'm surprised you didn't comment that the "auto eject" was needed because Marines weren't smart enough to punch out on their own. :biggrin

I wasn’t going to mention it, but of the three f35s built for specific branches, the marines version is the only one with that ‘feature’. :stupid: