PDA

View Full Version : CFB Week 6

quercus alba
10-03-2023, 07:36 PM
Some really tough picks this week, my average could take a big hit. Well, nuthin from nuthin leaves nuthin so here goes nuthin.

Kansas State at Oklahoma State: Only a great fool would pick the Cowboys, Not being a great fool I can clearly pick the Mildcats 41-24

Nebraska at Illinois: I think the bugeaters get it all together this week and hang a 14-13 resounding beat-down on the fighting Berts

Oklahoma vs. Texas: I hope Posty doesn't come burn my house down but I'm going with the Whorns 28-24

Maryland at Ohio State: I must be getting soft in my old age,, I don't hate the Buckeyes as bad as I once did. State 38-23

LSU at Missouri: As bad as I hate Mizzou, I'm going with the upset here 31-28

Rutgers at Wisconsin: I think this is going to be a really close game but i think the home team is gonna win. Badgers 30-28

Marshall at NC State: The Herd is pretty salty but I gotta take the Pack at home 27-23

Virginia Tech at Florida State: I can't see any possible scenario for Tech to win short of another epidemic of the Black Death. Semenholes 35-16

Alabama at Texas A&M: Every fiber of my intellect says pick Bama, however the old intellect isn't what it used to be. Aggies 26-20

Syracuse at North Carolina: Tarholes in a shootout 38-31

Purdue at Iowa: Iowa has lost their QB for the season so I'm revising this pick and saying Boilers win 14-10

Wake Forest at Clemson: Clempson is just one good playmaker from being 4-1. Deacons go down 31-21

Vanderbilt at Florida: How come we get get to play Vandy? Wait we are Vandy. Gators 30-17

UCF at Kansas: I really liked Kansas better when they were a doormat. Like arkansas. Jayhawks 38-27

Colorado at Arizona State: Not a prime fan but they'll beat the sundevils 41-20

Kentucky at Georgia: I might would go with Kaintuck if they were at home. Georgia gets it done ......again. 26-20

Michigan at Minnesota: Meh, Wolverines 31-14

Notre Dame at Louisville: I had hope for the Cards until I saw them play last week. Iwish 28-16

Arkansas at Ole Miss. Lane Kiffen respects Sam Pittman so he'll probably go easy 77-21

Georgia Tech at Miami (Fla.) Tech ain't bad, Miami is still of unknown quality so I'll say Canes 33-20

Texas Tech at Baylor: This could be a dog fight...........Red Raider 34-24

TCU at Iowa State: TCU should win it so I'll go GREAT HORNY TOADS 30-28

BarryBobPosthole
10-04-2023, 08:24 AM
I’ve been watching SEC football much closer the past couple of years for obvious reasons. I still don’t know where we’ll fit in. Mainly because I still don’t know who’s for real and who isn’t in the SEC. They are very much like every other big conference. A couple of strong teams at the top, a big old bell shaped curve in the middle, and then the jokersat the bottom. I have disdain for Mizzou. They sucked in the Big 8, the Big 12, and now they’re puffed up like toads. And you picked Jimbo to win too! What’s the world coming to?

OU 57
Shorthorns 19

BkB

quercus alba
10-04-2023, 10:37 AM
It used to be that teams like Bama, Texas and FSU could simply out talent the rest of the CFB world but with high schools better preparing athletes for college and the transfer portal there's more quality players to go around. The NIL insures that nothing much has changed at the top and the rich are still going to get richer. However there's not as big a gap between a 3* and a 5* as it once was so there's still plenty of talent to go around.

I think the key to a successful program in today's world has less to do with having a team of 4 and 5 stars that it does with having a good coaching staff. Recruiting is the life blood of college sports but it's much more than just getting talent to come, it more to do with evaluating the talent to fit the scheme you're going to run. Case and point is KJ Jefferson at Arkansas. KJ is a big strong RPO quarterback, make one read and run. Dan Enos was hired as our OC and he's a pro style coach. KJ is a very talented square peg being forced into a round hole and it shows in his lack of production this year. Same with the offensive line, they're having to hold blocks longer for KJ to go through his progression and he's getting sacked as if he had no blockers. Enos was a bad fit and Sam Pittman should have known that.

Good coaches know this and recruit accordingly like the service academies. Good coaches adapt and play to the strengths of their players, that why Nick Saban has been so successful. If Venables can hold his staff together then Oklahoma will be a serious threat for years to come. Sam Pittman is a good natured personable guy whose folksy homespun personality and sincerity appeal to recruits but he's way over his head as top dog.

I would not be surprised if Dan Enos is coaching somewhere else next season...............after he's ruined KJ this season

BarryBobPosthole
10-04-2023, 02:39 PM
My two favorite teams in the SEC right now are Kentucky and Tennessee, both because of the connections to Stoops and the Sooners. I really really like Mark Stoops as a head coach, and have to say the same for Josh Heupul at Tenn. That northern tier is making noise in the heirarchy of the SEC. They’re both head and shoulders above the Jimbos and Kellys of the world anyways, IMO.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-04-2023, 04:09 PM
I was thinking about the NIL last night and have started to make my peace with it. Mostly because programs like Texas with more money than sense (and way too much alumni involvement) will just screw it up on a more expensive scale. See Arch Manning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken Dinner
10-04-2023, 04:10 PM
Also, this would be a good point for the Penguin to chime in and impart some of his wisdom.

BarryBobPosthole
10-04-2023, 04:35 PM
But Chilly Willy isa B1G guy. And there ain’t no sense in any of that!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-05-2023, 11:19 AM
I kind of like watching those big corn fed Wisconsin guys play football. That and whoever is playing tOSU.

BarryBobPosthole
10-05-2023, 02:33 PM
I love to hate on tOSU as much as the next guy but you have to admit they’re pretty salty, if overrated, most years.

BKB

DeputyDog
10-05-2023, 07:28 PM
I will say this for tOSU,their fan base is nowhere near as obnoxious as Michigan’s.

Chicken Dinner
10-05-2023, 08:15 PM
Must be a local thing DD. I deal with a lot more obnoxious Buckeye fans down here.

DeputyDog
10-05-2023, 08:41 PM
I have lived my entire life (except college days) in the NE corner of Indiana in the county that borders both Ohio and Michigan so I’ve had lots of first hand experience with both.

About the only ones that are worse are the people who are Indiana basketball fans and Notre Dame football fans.

Chicken Dinner
10-07-2023, 11:55 AM
Totally agree on ND. Plus, they’re in TV every week even when they’re playing the Sisters if the Poor. I doubt it will happen but would love for the Terps pull it off against the Buckeyes today.

BarryBobPosthole
10-07-2023, 04:16 PM
Some Sooner Magic going on up inthe Cotton Bowl. For all you believers and non-believers.

This was the first matchup. To the chagrin of the Big 12 these two teams will likely play for the Big 12 championship if sark can stay on the straight and narrow and win out. The Sooner schedule isvery weak from here on out.

What a freaking game! Instant classic.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-07-2023, 07:31 PM
Sure nuff was! After sitting in the rain up in a stand for almost six hours I decided I’d be having more fun watching the Red River Shootout. I was not disappointed. I did see a couple of does and two flocks of Turkey. So a pretty good day all in all.

BarryBobPosthole
10-07-2023, 11:31 PM
And there’s nothing like watching Lincoln riley and the Trojan-enz getting their asshanded to them after our game today.

BKB

quercus alba
10-08-2023, 09:23 AM
You might have got a little previous there Posty

BarryBobPosthole
10-08-2023, 09:46 AM
3OTs to beat unranked Arizona at home is as goodas a loss. Caleb Williams bailed out Grinch’s ‘Speed D’ yet again. Youhave to wonder how long riley is going to hold onto him. I’m just gladgrinch isn’t at OU any more!
BKB

BarryBobPosthole
10-08-2023, 12:25 PM
How’d you like to be the Miami coach today?
BKB

quercus alba
10-08-2023, 01:35 PM
Anytime "the Yew" gets beat is a good day

quercus alba
10-08-2023, 01:43 PM
Kinda shades of Joe Pisarcik of the Giants in 78