PDA

View Full Version : Beans, fried taters, and cornbread

BarryBobPosthole
03-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Its on at my house in about 20 minutes. Come on over. There's enough for a crew. My wife tells me my Poteau accent gets thicker when I cook this meal. Whatever. I don't imagine people from MissourA have an accent. Except for that E they put on the end of it.

Anyway, its what's for dinner. When I was a kid I could eat a Jethro Bodine sized plateful of this stuff. Its Amurican food"

BKB

quercus alba
03-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Tell me you've got onions and sweet tea to go with it.

Spiritual food.

BarryBobPosthole
03-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Absolutely!
BKB

Big Muddy
03-04-2013, 11:39 PM
I'm gettin' a bad case of gas just reading your bean post. ;)

LJ3
03-05-2013, 07:38 AM
So... how do you cook your beans and taters? My Mom used to make pinto beans for dinner with a ham hock. Soaked 'em overnight, drain, fill with water, throw ham hock in slow cooker, cook all day, eat. We'd have cornbread with 'em but never fried taters.

Buckrub
03-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Can't eat the beans.........took 42 years to figure out that was/is a major diverticulitis agent. But I'd kill twelve large humanoids for hot buttered cornbread. Fried taters.........man.....just a tad crunchy, a tad greasy.....

Oh my.

BarryBobPosthole
03-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Len, I don't soak mine, probably should but I cook them low and slow so no need to soak that I ever noticed. I just put a whole unpeeled onion in the pot with 'em (to de-gaus them), a smoked ham hock or a couple pieces of smoked bacon, NO salt or pepper (there's enough salt in the pork) and cook 'em on simmer for a few hours and they're ready. I do slice up a couple carrots in navy beans like I made yesterday. Seems to add some flavor. Fried taters is just fried taters. Like Bucky said, a little crispy, a little greasy. Makes for a good supper. and lunch, and snack, for a few days afterward.

Bucky, one of the other things I grew up with is putting a piece of cornbread in a glass and filling it up with milk and eating it with a spoon just like cereal. Only its more better. You can go dig a few postholes after a glass of cornbread and milk.
BKB

hotshot
03-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Weeat that same meal on a regular basis. including sweet tea. Ilike a dab of horseradish in my beans and /or a healthy glub of hotsauce. cornbread: mmmmmmmmm.

Big Muddy
03-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Yep, just as long as it's buttermilk with the cornbread....normally, I loathe sweet milk....except, I WILL take it with cereal and hot cinnamon buns. ;)

Big Muddy
03-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Phole, you dun inspired me....been raining here, off-n-on, all morning, and can't get outside.

Think I'll crank up the crock pot, and load it with some great northern white beans, salt pork, onions, and new potatoes.

Guess I need to just go ahead, and take some of those Gas-X pills, NOW, as a precaution!!! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
03-05-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm telling you, if you'll put a whole unpeeled onion in there from the beginning it'll take most of the gas out of those beans. My Mom taught me that trick and I've been doing it a long, long time.

BKB