PDA

View Full Version : season opener

LW
03-05-2013, 12:43 AM
The boy had his jr high baseball season opener tonight. He made his coaches and parents very proud. Played a school that is known for being a bit of a baseball dynasty (Posthole, it was Salina) and known for having man children in junior high. Sure enough, we showed up and thought their varsity team was on the field. He pitched the entire game and handed them a no-hitter after discovering that they couldnt hit the curve or the low inside fastball. In the second game, he caught and threw out the first two runners to try and steal 2nd. That pretty much shut down the running game. Today, I aint trying to blame him on the milk man.

LJ3
03-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Dude, that's awesome, ain't it?!?!?!? There's no feeling I've ever had like seeing your kid be proud of their accomplishments knowing they worked hard for it. Sports, math, psychology, any of 'em.

Buckrub
03-05-2013, 08:55 AM
I'm VERY good at this 'agent' stuff. I know people. I know contracts. I know.........well, I know this is all b/s, but hey.......I can learn, Jack.

I'll take 10% right now, on the spot. Best offer you're gonna get this week. Let me know.

LW
03-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Two issues here. First off, I am so glad he got success. Non baseballers dont realize what it takes to develop baseball skills. Countless hours in the cage when snow is on the ground. He literally doesnt take time off except for 2 weeks at the end of the season that I make him set the glove and bat down. Thankless work when you work your ass off in the cage when nobody is watching. Second issue, thank god for good coaches. We got them. We hired a new guy to assist that justdoes pitching. I asked him to do evening lessons with my kid and he agreed and tried to refuse to be paid for It. I insisted so he took the money. Dedicated individual.

BarryBobPosthole
03-05-2013, 10:34 AM
That's good stuff, LW. The best part of that is watching them learn the lesson of effort=results which sometimes is the hardest thing for a young person to learn. I know it took me a long time to learn that. Seeing a youngster putting it to work is gratifying as heck.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
03-05-2013, 10:47 AM
I love to see hard work paying off for a youngster.

hotshot
03-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Watch that golden arm... pitching and then catching the second game can wear that arm out!

LW
03-05-2013, 07:10 PM
He really keeps his pitch count down. he finished in 64 pitches last night. He only caught the last 3 of the second game. They play 2 - 5 inning games a day. He now thanks me for riding his ass about mechanics every pitch from the time he started throwing.
On a side note, they announced the scores of the ballgame over the morning announcements at the school today and made note of his no-hitter. My wife teaches and got to hear it. She said she almost cried because she was so proud. You guys would just have toknow her. She doesnt go shopping while the boy is at an all day baseball camp, she sits and watches and she is always there. She deserves a little recognition.