PDA

View Full Version : Sandy can smell 'em, even from the truck....

Big Muddy
03-05-2013, 11:07 AM
I had forgotten that my buddy took this pic, when we were leaving from the Yazoo hills last week from the season's last hunt....day'um, I love this dog. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
03-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Looks to me like she's just stretchin' to get some fresh air!

BKB

Sunshine
03-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Looks like a pretty good team!!

If someone hasn't had the experience of being a team partner, with a dog, you do not understand the communication, respect and bond between the team.
I'm not looking forward to the day mine has to retired completely from agility. Going to be a horribly feeling, for me.

Sandy has a great nose and she's telling ya they are thata way pop!!!
Nice picture of you two. I'd make sure to get that one framed. :)

Big Muddy
03-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Looks to me like she's just stretchin' to get some fresh air!

BKB

The phrase "you old curmudgeon" comes to mind. ;)

Come to think of it, she prolly couldn't catch her breath....I think I HAD just cut a good 'un....prolly that mid-morning snack of potted-meat and cheese. ;)

Big Muddy
03-05-2013, 12:13 PM
So true, Sunny....and, I think, in every man's lifetime, he's lucky to have REALLY loved at least one dog....in my case, I'm VERY lucky to have had FOUR long-lasting dog-loves.

And, when Sandy has treed her last squirrel, and gone to that big red oak tree in the sky, I'll train and love number FIVE!!! ;)

Big Skyz
03-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Eddie I think I've asked this before, but Sandy is a cur isn't she?

Big Muddy
03-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Yep, Sky, registered Original Mountain Cur....better known as an "OMC"....and, she's from Kentucky blood-stock, which I think makes a better squirrel dog....with very little training, she just naturally uses all her senses to find those little boogers....sight and sound, as well as smell....lots of times, I think she can actually hear a squirrel, rustling around inside the hole of a dead tree....drives her nuts!!!

She amazes me, when we are hunting....rather than just running around an area like most dogs, trying to catch a scent, she spends a lot of time just standing still, and looking up into the treetops, before entering an area....however, if she doesn't see anything, then it's flat out balls-to-the-wall.

Big Skyz
03-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Thanks Eddie. The more I read and study up on Cur dogs the more I think there is to like. I'm pretty sure when it comes time for me to get another dog a mountain cur is going to be right at the top of the list.

Buckrub
03-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Her camo don't match.

Big Muddy
03-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Sky, you will NOT be disappointed with an OMC....I've been around lots of them, and never seen one that wasn't docile, loving, hard-working, and wanna-please-you dogs.

Big Muddy
03-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Her camo don't match.

Yep, but she can disappear from my sight in the woods in a nanosecond....she wears a fluroescent orange vest, when we hunt strange territory.

Big Skyz
03-05-2013, 05:46 PM
I got a friend with one out here. She's a little female. Not all that big at all maybe 15-18 lbs. He bought her initially to use for decoying coyotes, but got her running on mt. lions with a friend of his and his hounds during the winter. Now she's a lion hunting fool. Seems like those curs will hunt about anything. I want one to decoy coyotes and track wounded game. From everything I've heard or learned they about perfect for the job.