PDA

View Full Version : This kind of scare tactic ticks me off

Buckrub
03-07-2013, 10:25 AM
http://money.msn.com/retirement-plan/article.aspx?post=22059344-2cc9-45ad-ac65-2b75340e7162

If you listen to these people, no one could ever retire, because you'd need about $100,000 in a safe money market fund for EVERY $100 a month you'd think you'd need in retirement. Poppycock.

And to think that we are not retiring better than our parent's generation is utter b/s. What a crock! Most of my parent's generation either died early, or never did really 'retire'. Those that did lived a very austere life.

If you have any 401k worth mentioning, and you actually worked for 45 years for someone, you can live. And LIVING is what it's about, not waiting till you are rich to do it.

I have lunch with a bunch of old classmates periodically. The Tuesday Lunch Bunch. Buncha old farts eating at whatever restaurant has waitresses with those little skirts. I'm the only retired guy in the bunch. The others have about 2 or 3 (or more) times more money than I do. I know this. We're talking dentists, successful businessmen, you name it. Only one other guy is retired, and he was a RR guy.

To hear them tell it, they'll never retire. I laugh at them. They all joke about having to make SS payments so I can live. In a way that's true. But it's beside the point. If all of them retired today, they'd have a ton more income than I do.

Yet I'm fat. Somehow the bills are being paid, though I have had to dip into IRA to do it some. I'm alive, and it's Thursday, and I'm typing on an internet chat site waiting on it to warm up enough so I can go run the weedeater over my monkey grass.

Gloom and doom prophets make me wanna puke.

Yeah, there are idiots that are 30 and not putting one nickel back to retire. I assume they'll starve to death, or vote Democrat, or something. I dunno what they'll do. But any normal working person that wants to retire, can. And if you can't, it's your fault, and not because the 'times' are that different.

BarryBobPosthole
03-07-2013, 10:33 AM
I think you're right about our parent's generation. My Mom and step-Dad are in their late 70's and are still work as hard as anyone I know. They own and run a radio station in my home town and he is the pastor of a church in town as well. AND they run a 160 acre farm. So a 60 hour week is light for them. My sister is flabbergasted that they won't retire, and it's true that you can see the tired in their face. If you can make it past the grins. I don't think they ever will retire and that's fine by me. Which, the point I was going to try to make is that our generation puts a lot more value into retirement than our parent's generation did. when I think about it, I really can't think of many I know from that generation that actually did. A couple of uncles that were career military retired, but they got jobs when they got out.
Anyway, I'm not sure our parent's definition of the American dream included retirement, at least to the level we now think of it.
BKB

Buckrub
03-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Good points.......which also contradict this stupid article.

I dunno if the Cost of Living has gone way up, or the Cost of Living It Up has gone way up..............

BarryBobPosthole
03-07-2013, 10:42 AM
I haven't took a real sharp pencil to my retirement situation in a long time. I'm kind of a 'worse case' planner and that usually doesn't make me feel good when the plan has me working another year. but it's too soon to tell. I'll have too much trouble staying focused if I start thinking about that shit! (But I am now less than a year way from 59 and 1/2, which is an important milestone for us wanna be'ers.

BKB