PDA

View Full Version : OMG, THUMP HAS CORRUPTED ME !!!

Big Muddy
03-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Went to the lake house, with wifey this weekend, to clean up the pontoon for the grand kids visit....finished up that chore, early this morning, and it was too windy and cold to fish.

So I picked up the local paper, and lo and behold, there was an ad for an estate sale, only half mile up the road from our lake house.

We hurried down there, but missed the first three hours....however, we picked up two like-new bar stools with cane seats for the lake house kitchen bar for $15 bucks each(cost $89 bucks each new in the store)

Also, wifey got a double-dish sterling silver chafing dish set for $5 bucks....she also got 3 Waterford crystal wine glasses for a $1 buck each, and an antique table napkin rack for a $1 buck.

I picked up some misc. tools with storage racks for myself at a $1 buck total.

Had a pretty good time, and think we got some good deals.

This was my first estate sale visit, and I see how Thump got hooked on them!!! ;)

Thumper
03-10-2013, 01:10 AM
Welcome to the club, but be careful, they're addictive. We hit three of them this morning. It worked out perfectly ... one started unusually early at 7:00 am. The next started at 8:00 and the next at 9:00. That's pretty rare as they're normally either 8:00 or 9:00. They were all fairly close together and we arrived at each one before the doors opened. Ya' gots ta' get there early to get at the prime pickins ... but as you found out, late is better'n nuthin'! Good luck breaking the addiction ... you'll find much higher quality stuff than a garage/yard sale. What you have to watch is the independent dufes advertising a garage/yard sale as an "estate sale" ... pisses me off when I get there and find the stuff scattered in the front yard and the house closed up.

We picked up quite a few items today and I grabbed a bunch of "smalls" for my e-Bay sales. I think my best deal today was a flawless (no nicks or dings) stainless steel, 17X19P Rapture prop off a 115 hp Mercury OB for $40! I should have NO problem selling that thing in Florida (I do Craig's List for the local stuff).

Big Muddy
03-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Maybe by getting there a bit late was beneficial because the two daughters of the deceased gentleman looked plum-nearly tuckered out, and were ready to close it down, and go home.

We would pick up and look at something, and they'd immediately say, "50 percent off of the tagged price" or "just make us an offer."

I was hoping to find some good fishing stuff, since the deceased old guy was living on the lake, but they said he was more interested in wood-working....he had hand-made that oak napkin-holder thingy that I mentioned....neat little item.

Buckrub
03-10-2013, 10:38 AM
I have a ton of stuff to sell, but we're pretty secluded, and the wife won't let me advertise a sale out here.........I may just chunk some of it overboard next time I go fishing.....:lmao

Big Muddy
03-10-2013, 03:16 PM
I have a ton of stuff to sell, but we're pretty secluded, and the wife won't let me advertise a sale out here.

I'll bet it's really YOU that's skeered....you're skeered somebody's gonna steal that fish grease strainer, aren't you???....or, maybe your fish chair???....or, maybe that Sukiyomomma wheelie??? ;)