PDA

View Full Version : I think I know where I'll be early Friday & Saturday morning!

Thumper
03-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Cool looking estate sale! This place is about 10 mins. from my house. I like buying the "small" stuff ... sounds like I have a bit of "wading" to do. I can see maybe a gazebo, but how do you sell a boathouse? What do you do? Take it apart and haul it home on the roof of your car?

This property is located in north Lakeland off Deeson road, in the Florida woods. There is a home, a huge wood gazebo (for sale), open barn with inside deck and upstairs room, and attached room. Boathouse (for sale). Other outbuildings. 3 ˝ acres of beautiful Florida property, with pond, it is all up for sale starting this weekend. Come take a look while shopping for treasures.We have been working this sale for three weeks, and are still pulling out stuff. The house, barn, outbuildings, and all over the property there are things to buy. A lot of the tools, supplies and equipment in the barn will be priced on the spot, and is a picker’s heaven.

The house: wood stove, sofa, club chair, two maple dining tables and chairs, vintage yellow formica and chrome table and chairs, twin bed and mattress, ornate daybed, two trunks, old wicker dressing table and stool, bed and bath linens, mirror, drafting desk, rolltop desk, two file cabinets, water cooler, large glass front gun cabinet, locking steel gun cabinet. Pellet gun. Muzzle loader brand new with accessories. Spare parts: Rifle barrel, spare stock. Bookcases. Three antique sewing machines, cabinets and stands. Morse portable sewing machine. Craft supplies. Ladies clothes, shoes, Vera Bradley bags. Kitchen is well stocked with old dishes and glassware, depression glass, small appliances, utensils. Over the stove microware. Costume jewelry, treasures.The back porch, which extends the length of the house, has a load of interesting collectibles. Borden milk can, old pop bottles and wood crates, dry sink, icebox, antique Maytag washer, hightop table/chairs. Old blue canning jars. Dozens of old iron skillets, pots. Old metal bug sprayer. Nice washer and dryer. Washstand/mirror. Pictures, frames, décor.

The bookroom: (attached to the barn), a whole room of bookshelves filled with great books. Gardening, cooking, collectible, historical, crafts, novels, fishing, poker. Hundreds of books. Dozens of comic books in plastic sleeves. 1993. Baseball cards.

The loft: professional poker table and chips, instruction books. Cabinet doors, metal files.

The boathouse: two Heritage kayaks plus racks, one surfrider with sail (sail is torn). Barbecue gas grill. Overhead are several lengths of rough sawn red cedar planks. Metal work table. Galvanized horse water trough. Boathouse is for sale.

Gazebo: large wood gazebo with screened roof. For sale.

The front yard and patio: wrought iron table and chairs, wood swing, wood swinging chair and A-frame, wrought iron plant hanger/bird feeder, bird feeders, bird houses, iron chiminea, table, old bench, wrought iron ornamentals, clawfoot tub. Dozens of plastic flower pots, small and large. Plants, including sugar palms. The pavers leading to the gazebo are for sale. Bird bath. Metal ornamental windmill.

Around the property: six trailers: 2 flatbed, jon boat, airboat, boat converted to flat, enclosed trailer with toolbox, trailer for hauling wire reels. Trailer axle w/springs/tires. Iron trailer sides. Golf Cart Club Car, no batteries. Golf clubs, bags, practice ring. Steel scaffolding, aluminum frames/shelving, 20’ angle iron, flatbed with boom for pickup truck, A frame 12’ high for hoisting, 1,000 gal. fiberglass water tank. PVC fittings, pipes. High wheel lawnmower frame. Telephone poles, railroad ties, treated 4X4’s and 2/6’s. Scrap iron, aluminum. Galvanized tubs, animal trap cages. Several window air conditioners.

The barn: Large barn is for sale. Five large iron gangboxes w/lids. Welding table, mig welder, helmet. Work tables, metal stands for tools, stainless countertops, fiberglass A frame ladder, extension ladders, used tires/rims, parts washer, bug sprayers, Thermo King unit, centrifugal portable pump gas motor, 2 nonworking generators 4250 & 6500, weed blower, drills, Skil saw, Dremel saw, two routers, DeWalt Mitre Saw & stand, 5’ wood lathe (hums, won’t turn), table drill press, floor drill press, 6” planer, 2 - 10” table saws/stand. 14” sander. 100’ air hose w/reel, compressor w/1 ˝ hose for jack hammer. Hydraulic pipe bender and dies up to 3” pipe. 6” PVC pipe cutter. Air staple gun, staples. Multiple portable tool boxes. Hand saws, cutters, axes. Boxes and boxes of hand tools, accessories, fittings, nuts, bolts, screws. Wire, electrical supplies. Garden tools. Old iron pieces. Antique hand seeders. Iron Independence bell, old iron water pump. New rolling seed planter.

Fishing equipment: in the barn. Several rods/reels for fly fishing and salt water. Hundreds of lures: $0.25 and up. Some new, some old, some vintage. From teeny tiny to marlin.

Look at the photos, sorting as we go, this week. Travel storage keepers. Priced to sell. Wet suit and goggles.We can’t list everything in the barn, and on the property. There are a lot of things out there, and we hope you can help us find them. If there is no price, we will be glad to give you one on the spot. Please wear appropriate shoes for walking around. Gloves would be good, too, as the barn is quite dusty. Let the fun begin!!!

Barry Bob ... ya' see anything ya' wants me to grab out'ta this pile o' scrap metal?

http://pictures.estatesales.net/18365/403245/7764997.jpg?634987335794700000

Believe it or not ... I remember most of these from my graqndfather's tackle box. I believe most of them were Heddon's. (this is supposedly just a small sample of the lures available)

http://pictures.estatesales.net/18365/403245/7751049.jpg?634986524009400000

Anybody need a 5th wheel?

http://pictures.estatesales.net/18365/403245/7751101.jpg?634986512910200000

BarryBobPosthole
03-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Wow. Yeah, that scone pan on the left for one thing. And I'd like to get a better look at that roaster with the cool lid on it. and that cast iron kettle is probably a keeper too!

Look over that fishing stuff and pick up anything that says GLOOMIS on it!

Wish I was down there to go diggin through that stuff with ya. Looks like fun.

BKB

Big Skyz
03-13-2013, 10:19 AM
There is between $150.00-$200.00 worth of lures in that photograph. Man, I'd love to get every one of them for a good price. A guy can never have too many Rapala lures.

Buckrub
03-13-2013, 10:20 AM
I have a bunch of that cast iron stuff. Some is good, some looks like that stuff. I wish I knew a good way to clean it. If it is at 60% or better, I can get it the rest of the way. But I can't get from that picture above to the 60%....

Thumper
03-13-2013, 10:22 AM
You'll have to be more specific on the cast iron. I don't know squat about the stuff (remember, I don't cook). For example, I can figure out the roaster, but what's a scone pan? ;)

I'll look for Loomis stuff. Here are a few more lures.

http://pictures.estatesales.net/18365/403245/7765030.jpg?634987336095500000

I know this lady (the one putting on the sale) pretty well. She's generally pretty "high" priced as she researches EVERYTHING! That doesn't mean they're not bargains, but the other sellers practically GIVE the stuff away. This lady is good at what she does and gets a better price. Everything is 50% off on Saturday ... it's a gamble on what will be left over .. but that's when I grab most of my stuff, unless it's something I can't live without and KNOW there's no way it'll still be there on Saturday. If you'll promise to answer my texts, I can send you some pics and a price on what's there. If ya' want's it ... I'll grab it. 'Course, with the cost these days, shipping cast iron may be kinda stupid ... I don't know what the stuff is worth.

BarryBobPosthole
03-13-2013, 10:25 AM
I use an old trick the Bassdog showed me. Put it in the oven on the self clean cycle. That makes the necessary elbow grease to get the crap off of them 100% easier. Then after you get them cleaned up, you can re-season them. some old pieces may crack when you do this, but its about the only way I know of to really get them cleaned up. I've probably done 10-12 pieces of old antique cast iron this way and haven't had one crack yet. That don't mean it might not happen though.
Anyway, give it a try. Unless you know of a better way.

By the way, let them cool COMPLETELY down before you touch them after that over cycle.
BKB

BarryBobPosthole
03-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Thumper, the pan with the pie shaped sections is a scone pan. and no, you're right, it'd cost more than the cast iron is worth to ship it. But a guy can dream can't he?

BKB

Buckrub
03-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Posthole, how much would you give me for one of those?

Thumper
03-13-2013, 10:31 AM
No clue Bucky. I thought you simply cleaned it up and oiled it down. But what do I know?

That's the big problem I have at these estate sales ... I know a little bit about a lot of stuff, but don't know a whole lot about much of anything. Without an iPhone with me, I'd be clueless on most things. I usually grab something that catches my eye, then look on e-Bay to see what it's selling for. But that's time consuming and I seldom buy much on Friday ... just scout the place out, make notes, research the stuff Fri. night, then go back Saturday and buy what I want ... IF it's still there.

Thumper
03-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Thumper, the pan with the pie shaped sections is a scone pan. and no, you're right, it'd cost more than the cast iron is worth to ship it. But a guy can dream can't he?

BKB

Ha! Ok ... I thought that was for cornbread! ;)

Big Muddy
03-13-2013, 10:40 AM
That Hijacker fifth-wheel hitch is an economy model, but will still cost about $300-$400 bucks, new....depends on what truck it fits....looks to just be dirty, and needs cleaning and servicing....betcha you can get it for less than $40 bucks, and sell it locally for $150-$200 bucks.

Chicken Dinner
03-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Believe it or not, cast iron cookware sells at pretty good prices on Ebay. So, you might be able to make money at it even with shipping costs. Most of those fishing lures look modern to me though.

Bwana
03-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Man would I love to be down there digging through some of that stuff. I would love me a jon boat and the drill press and the rapalas and...

Niner
03-13-2013, 10:58 AM
IF that muzzle loader is a Thompson/Center Hawken (cap-lock), and/or the spare barrel is a T/C 50cal cap-lock (not flint-lock) and you can get either one for cheap...I'd be interested in it. Even if the rifle isn't a T/C I might be interested. Depends on mfr.

See if they have a gun vise while you're there.

I promise to answer any texts right away...especially ones with pics.

I wish I was down there to dig through that treasure with you too.

Thumper
03-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Ha! I KNOW where your gun vice is Mr. Crow9! I should just ship it to ya' and forget I ever had it! ;)

I'm closing out 12 different auctions this morning, then I'll get a breather for lunch before I head for the Post Office to ship some stuff. One package is going to Japan, so I'll have to stand in that frigging line for a while.

I have a big post-it note on my computer screen that says: "SEND PICS TO CO9"!! ('course it's been there for a few days now) :(

Penguin
03-13-2013, 11:41 AM
I use an old trick the Bassdog showed me. Put it in the oven on the self clean cycle. That makes the necessary elbow grease to get the crap off of them 100% easier. Then after you get them cleaned up, you can re-season them.
BKB

Never tried that way. Always used oven cleaner. Let it soak and then use a wire brush to get the gunk off. Had a beautiful Wagner that had many decades of stuff on the bottom and a pristine, well seasoned cooking surface. Turned it upside down and did the spray, sit, scrape routine a couple times and it cleaned right up. Didn't even know it was a Wagner until it was cleaned up. Got a #8 Griswold that seems to have never been used. Had this old clear greasy stuff that looked to have been on it for a thousand years but the pan was unseasoned. Gave it the same treatment and it came out fine.

I love the way those old pans had such a smooth polished surface. Had a friend tell me once that he couldn't wait till his new cast iron had the years on it to where it was smooth like mine. Didn't have the heart to tell him mine didn't wear smooth, they came from the factory that way. :)

Will

BarryBobPosthole
03-13-2013, 11:46 AM
I have a couple of very old Wagner and Griswold pieces I still cook with. You're right, there ain't nothing as non-stick as one of those old pans if they're treated right. I still fry chicken in a and old piece I've never discovered the manufacturer of. It just has a '10' stamped on the back of it. Heats evenly though and has that smooth finish you're talking about. My stuff is a hodge podge of stuff I've gotten from folks over the years. Nothing to write home about, but I sure do love to cook with 'em.
BKB

Penguin
03-13-2013, 11:54 AM
My wife has her own stuff which has the non-stick surface with the copper bottom to get even cooking and whatnot. When we got married last year she knew I wasn't parting with mine so we have about twice as much cookware as we need. But she loves my chewy cornbread (from an old square pan my aunt gifted) along with the deer steak fried up with ramps and garlic in my old Griswold. Sandwiches out of those two have her convinced the old stuff works just fine.

I was amazed when I first found out folks collected that stuff. My uncle has a collection of some brand that has an indian head on the bottom. Forget what that was. It was too rich for my blood even years ago when he was still buying all of it. Amazing how some of that old stuff is so expensive.

Will

BarryBobPosthole
03-13-2013, 11:59 AM
I have an old Lodge skillet that I bought a long time ago new at BPS that I've always liked because of the thickness and how evenly it heats. I managed to put it on the stove with nothing in it just to heat it up and forgot about it for about five minutes and it cracked real good. Now I use it for a corn bread pan and cook steaks on the grill with it from time to time. I just couldn't bear to part with it. Two big old ribeyes fit perfectly in it and give them that carmelized crust I like so well on my steaks.

BKB

Thumper
03-13-2013, 12:05 PM
IF that muzzle loader is a Thompson/Center Hawken (cap-lock), and/or the spare barrel is a T/C 50cal cap-lock (not flint-lock) and you can get either one for cheap...I'd be interested in it. Even if the rifle isn't a T/C I might be interested. Depends on mfr.

Here's a pic of the ML Bill.

http://pictures.estatesales.net/18365/403245/7765021.jpg?634987336027700000

Big Muddy
03-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Don't know about other parts of the country, but you can't even give away a mzldr., down here anymore....since our laws changed, a few years ago, allowing just about any pre-1900 gun for deer hunting, that opened the door for cartridge-fired guns, such as the .35 Whelen and the .45-70....and, you can use scopes on them, too.

Chicken Dinner
03-13-2013, 01:59 PM
My favorite piece of cast iron is a large skillet my Step Mother picked up at a yard sale and gave to me. It's a Favorite Piqua Ware. I got curious and looked it up one time and the company was only in existence from 1880 something to 1934. It's a little warmped, but is sure still cooks well. I have another smaller size 8 or so skillet with no mark on it whatsoever that an old roommate left when he moved out. The shine and smoothness of those older pans is way better than the newer once. Thump, you might really want to dig through that stuff for anything that's a Griswold or a Wagner. If it's old and unusual, prices can easily go over $100.

Thumper
03-13-2013, 02:27 PM
I'll write those names down and stick 'em in my wallet. I assume that would be imprinted on the bottom or someplace on the pot/pan? Or do they just have a certain "style" that makes them identifiable?

BarryBobPosthole
03-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Most Griswolds I've seen either has a spider stamp on the bottom or a cross with the name on it. the Wagner pieces I have, have the name written in script on the bottom. There's a lot of good pieces out there with just a number stamped on them. They might be collectible but depending on the finish they might be good to cook with. If you're buying to sell, I'd stick with the two major names though: Wagner and Griswold.

BKB

Thumper
03-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I'd have no use for them. Lynn usually uses her Calphalon stuff. My mom gave me the old deep cast iron skillet she used almost nightly as I was a kid growing up (we're Sotherners and grew up on deep fried food!). As she got older, it got too heavy for her and she gave it to me. Lynn drags it out every once in a while, but it mostly gathers dust in the back of the cabinet. I have no clue what brand it is. Anyway, the only reason I'd buy any is to resell. The shipping charges and finding the right sized box would be the biggest hang-up I'd think. BUT ... I guess it's something I should look into.

Thumper
03-13-2013, 04:20 PM
See if they have a gun vise while you're there.

I promise to answer any texts right away...especially ones with pics.

Well, you flunked and get a big fat "F"! I texted 3 pics of my gun vice to you HOURS ago ... no response yet. ;)

Niner
03-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Lol....been at the physical therapist most of the afternoon
That ml is an inline....too newish for me.

That vise dose indeed look like the Tipton that Cabelas sells. What's yer askin' price?

Thumper
03-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Actually, it is a Tipton ... Midway just slaps their name on it. I sent you a PM.