PDA

View Full Version : Zeppelin

LJ3
03-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Borrowed the DVD of their 2007 concert with Jason Bonham on drums. They've always been my favorite band of all time. I never watched anything after they stopped in the early 80's.

Holy crap, this is great stuff if you like Zeppelin.

They really brought the thunder of that era back to life. Casey even watched it with me and was tolerant of all my chattering about why they were so great and what a band was back on those days.

Watching it on a big ass HD TV with my AV system thumping the house was pretty dang cool.

It's funny how riveted I felt to that time of my life when I started watching it. Tons of great memories came flooding back and for a brief moment, I was 17, flying down the road in my buddies mustang 302 with the craig cassette deck cranking thru the jensen trixials in the back, doobies all around, not a care in the world on a warm summer night, nowhere to be, nowhere to go, not a care in the world.

When I came back to being 51 in my living room, the shit was still good :)

BarryBobPosthole
03-13-2013, 08:26 PM
You should get the Led Zep DVD Box set. Some great concert footage. The video of John Bonham playing On Moby Dick is worth the price of the set all by itself.
BKB

LJ3
03-13-2013, 08:30 PM
I think that's what I have. It's called Celebration Day, same thing? 2 cds and 2 dvds. Just watched the O2 concert dvd tonight. It has a "bonus DVD, which I guess is where the Moby Dick stuff would be. I guess I'll find out soon :)

BarryBobPosthole
03-13-2013, 08:45 PM
My copy just has the words 'Led Zeppelin DVD' on it. I have another CD set called How The West Was Won that is pretty good too.
BKB

Thumper
03-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Huh? Dang! Talk about Led Zeppelin and memories! At first I didn't know what you were talking about. I got my first Led Zep 8-track for my 17th birthday and remember it like it was yesterday. The name of the album was simply "Led Zeppelin". I was a senior in h/s, but working part time at the Cadillac Dealership in Memphis. I mentioned to a customer that "here I am working on my birthday!" It was a Saturday ... I remember that (no school). The guy had something to do with the recording industry ... I don't remember persactly. It seems he was in town to drop off records to promote at the different radio stations or something like that. Anyway, he opened his trunk, grabbed a Led Zep 8-track, handed it to me and said, "Happy Birthday"! He then told me the album had been released just that week and was brand spankin' new. I ran out to the parking lot, popped that puppy into the first new Cadillac I found, cranked it up to max volume and I was instantly HOOKED ... big time! That would have been January 18, 1969 ... so I was 10 years ahead of you! (that's why I was confused when you said you were 17 ... so was I!) ;)

That same year, they came out with Led Zeppelin II and I bought it as soon as it hit the shelf at the local record store. I don't remember persactly, but I remember thinking Led Zep was a birthday present and Led Zep II was an early Christmas present ... to myself in '69! I was in college in '70 when Led Zep III came out and I bought Led Zep IV just before ... and I mean just a couple DAYS before I went into the Army. My buds and I got commode-huggin' drunk listening to Led Zep all night during my "going away" party before being shipped off to basic training. That would have been November of 1971. Damn! Makes me want to roll one and light up right now just thinkin' about it.

Memories?? I got'cher memories right here! To be honest .. while I was overseas, I moved on to other music and don't really remember if I ever bought another Zeppelin album after IV. :(

LJ3
03-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Houses of the Holy, Presence, and Physical Graffiti were pretty much it after that...

BarryBobPosthole
03-13-2013, 11:50 PM
Led Zep came to Tampa about 1977 or so when I was in the service. The show was at Old Tampa Stadium and was at 8:00 one summer night. We showed up at noon and partied all day with a packed stadium and field. The usual afternoon rainshower came and went at 4:30 and it stormed pretty good right when the show was about to start. They played twenty minutes and left the stage. The storm was practically over when they left the stage. The crowd waited an hour before some dude that looked like a roadie came out and announced the show was over. Not a word about a rain date. Talk about public relations geniusness. The crowd took the stage, speaker towers, and a good many Tampa off duty cops apart. We barely got out of their with our lives. They didn't schedule a raindate, but they did refund money for ticket stubs. Ticket stubs that had 'good for one day only, rain or shine' printed on them.
I had a bad taste in my mouth for a lot of years after about Led Zep. They went over some edge and never came back after that. But I still love their music. Bron-Y-ar Stomp is one of my faves.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
03-14-2013, 08:14 AM
Fall of my Senior year of high school we had just made plans to go out to the Cap Center later in the week to wait in line for Zeppelin tickets. We had the whole rotation set up so we could be there three days early. (Not sure where the parental supervision was on this as it wasn't the first time we'd done something like this...) At any rate, that same evening UK time John Bonham decided 40 shots of vodka was a good idea and up and died on us. Physical Graffitti is still one of my Top 3 Desert Island albums.

hotshot
03-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Not a zepplin camp out, but When I was a Senior in HS, Springsten was big: 1985.... I delivered my newspapers for the morning, and headed to the closest ticket outlet. I was like 80th in line and got decent tickets!
My sophomore year of college several of us camped out together for U2 tickets. WOW what a show! That was a cold evening on the sidewalk of Indianapolis. Great "snuggle up to stay warm" excuses....
I remember everyone in line looking out for eachother, good natured, and a sense of joviallity... Not drunken idiot fest.
The best part was getting those tickets and going home to a warm dorm bed... another excuse for some snuggle time!
Today's kids don't know about camping out for tickets... they just log on.

BarryBobPosthole
03-14-2013, 09:28 AM
U2 is one of the ones I missed that I regret. and Neil Young. I've barely missed old Neil a couple of times and he's one of the few I'd still go see today in concert. I'm really not interested in Zep getting back together. Wouldn't be the same without Bonham and I'm afraid they'll be like seeing the Moody Blues on PBS festival week or something. that'd be a shame.
BKB

hotshot
03-14-2013, 09:46 AM
I went to a great concert My senior year of college.... A great lineup...
Stevie Ray Vaun(sp?), and Jimmy Buffet. There was another great name too, but There were also lots of Margaritas...
Didn't know it until the next morning that Stevie Ray died in a helicopter crash that night. He could flat out play a Gee-tar!

BarryBobPosthole
03-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Stevie was one of a kind. I still think his cover of Little Wing is the best there is. I had high hopes for Johnny Lang but he's disappointed me.

If you like the blues there's a new artist out there, Gary Clark, Jr, that you ought to give a listen to. Very much reminiscent of Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jimi Hendrix. Same kind of licks and a great voice.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
03-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Zeppelin is definitely one of my biggest regrets and I would go see them in a heart beat. Matt's a big fan as well and has already said there's no way we'd miss a reunion tour. BTW, I saw Neil Young a couple of years back and he definitely still brings it. We've got Bad Company and Skynyrd coming this summer to a local outdoor venue. We'll probably go to that even though it won't be the same.

LJ3
03-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Fall of my Senior year of high school we had just made plans to go out to the Cap Center later in the week to wait in line for Zeppelin tickets. We had the whole rotation set up so we could be there three days early. (Not sure where the parental supervision was on this as it wasn't the first time we'd done something like this...) At any rate, that same evening UK time John Bonham decided 40 shots of vodka was a good idea and up and died on us. Physical Graffitti is still one of my Top 3 Desert Island albums.

Exact same for me. I'm still bitter about it :)

Bwana
03-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Hey Posthole, whatever happened to Johnny Lang? He is from the great state of ND though I have not heard "boo" about him for many years.

LJ3
03-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Lang faded... He was pretty good but seemed like a one trick pony to me. That and not being able to sing hurt him, I think.

BarryBobPosthole
03-14-2013, 09:57 PM
After Lie To Me he got funky. I guess he's a soul singer now. Which is fine, but it ain't my cup of tea.
BKB

DeputyDog
03-14-2013, 10:11 PM
Isn't he married to Mel Gibson's daughter?