PDA

View Full Version : Whooooooo Pig!

Captain
03-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Hunting by myself yesterday and had a big group of wild hogs come in. I could have shot two but had the clearness to mind to think "Theres no one here to help you deal with these things" I was up till 12:30 just dealing with this one.
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Bwana
03-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Note to self: I REALLY got to get myself down your way some time soon.

Chicken Dinner
03-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Ummm, bacon...

BarryBobPosthole
03-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Kill all of them bastards!

You see a ghost?

and yer camo......well, it don't match.

BKB

Thumper
03-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Well, if you'd lower that thing down a bit until his snout touches the ground ... he'd be about as long as you are tall. Wouldn't that make him a "piglet"? :D

Congrats dufe ... looks like fun. I have to admit, I'd have thought long and hard about knocking down a second one myownfineself. I HATE cleaning those nasty-assed, greasy sob's.

Big Skyz
03-14-2013, 01:14 PM
I know those things are really destructive and obnoxious to deal with. However, they sure are a ton of fun to shoot. I don't really want them in Montana but if they showed up in states a little closer to Montana it sure would be fun to go blast a few. I'm more than a little envious of your situation down there Cappy.

Niner
03-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Nice lil Porky Pig there buddy.
If you need any help blastin' them jokers, just lemme know.

Like Paladin....have gun, will travel.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tgvxu8QY01s?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jb
03-15-2013, 08:33 AM
You're starting to look like an undercover narc or a Duck Commander want ta be. :)

Buckrub
03-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Lots of heated discussion in this state right now over some new bills proposed to make it tougher to transport these things, and let them go. "Hog Hunting" has become a major sport, with two sides fighting each other more than hogs........one wants them increased, the other eradicated. Here, they are 'Livestock', not a game animal.........they are just like cows. But they are destroying deer and game habitat, and half of us see that and half argue the other way. The Legislature is caught up in it, and it's a mess here.........a hot mess.

BarryBobPosthole
03-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Just from the habitat destruction alone, the decision ought to be a no-brainer. and ask Florida about introduced species. I don't understand why its even up for discussion. If hog hunting had become a billion dollar business, I might see SOME kind of argument. As it is, I don't know of many people who'd go buy a hog hunt. and the ones who do buy one, I don't know any who'd want to go do it again.

BKB

Buckrub
03-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Then you don't know Arkansas. There are a bazillion guys arguing this vehemently. They say they own dogs worth more than most people's houses, and they are into it big time. They want to be seen as equal to any other 'game animal' hunter, even though they're not. It's a big mess here.

Huge arguments going on. It's getting nasty.

BarryBobPosthole
03-15-2013, 10:39 AM
My personal view about the hog hunters in Arkansas is that there are as many deer killed in front of those dogs as there are hogs. And the only way I can see to get rid of the problem is to make it illegal to hunt the damned things and fund the state trappers so they can go in and eradicate them.

BKB

jb
03-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Landowners and those with landowner permission may shoot hogs at any time without a hunting license or CPL. Any kind of valid Michigan hunting license or CPL is required when hunting hogs on public land.

They are not yet in my area, but getting closer.

Buckrub
03-15-2013, 11:37 AM
No, these are specialized dogs, with collars and tracking devices.......when they start after hogs, there are no deer in the area!!! They be's gone. This is not like a deer dog chase. They bay 'em and hold 'em till the guys come in and catch 'em, chain 'em, and take 'em back out to the trailer.

This is much different than you guys seem to understand. It's a major divide, and a major fight..........and there's no way it can be won. Hogs don't care about any arguments, and they will soon take over the entire world. 1984!!

BarryBobPosthole
03-15-2013, 11:41 AM
I hunted over hog dogs before. and I know they are used to run deer too. Seen it with my own eyes. About half of hog hunting is an excuse used while poaching something else. At least in far eastern Oklahoma and western Arkansas it is.

People used to free range hogs in arkansas much like they did cattle. That's where the original Arkansas razorbacks came from. They were feral then and they're feral now. and there's no use for them in wildlife conservation, which is what I thought hunting was supposed to be at least partially about. so that was all a big lie?

BKB

Buckrub
03-15-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm with you. But the modern day hog/dog hunter ain't got any connection to deer.........you need to learn about this. It's getting serious. It isn't what you remember. Hog hunting is not an excuse for anything. The hog hunters over here scorn any other hunting. They have converted, and it's a mass koolaid trip. They go year round, and they aren't using those dogs for anything else, I assure you.

I'm against it, and I want them eradicated. But I'm telling you what is going on over here.........what people "used to do" with hogs (which I remember) ain't what's happening now!

The thread at arhunting.net is now 8 pages and flames are flying. I gave up 6 pages ago. Some folks won't convert. Pearls before swine (great pun, btw). I'm telling you, the camps are divided.......at a time when hunters do NOT need to make enemies among themselves.

BarryBobPosthole
03-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Ship all those guys down to Texas then, where they love that stuff.

I don't get it. there's plenty of other vermin to rub out.
BKB

Buckrub
03-15-2013, 12:08 PM
I know you don't. I don't either. But it's real, and man is it ever real. I'm not making hyperbole. This is getting to be a serious debate, and the AGFC won't regulate them at all, so the Legislature is getting involved, and that's never good. Now that effort is angering the Hog Crowd, and it's getting nasty.

This is a bazillion dollar deal. Texas has a lot.........but not really any more per acre of trees than S. Arkansas has. We're overrun.

http://128.192.20.53/nfsms/

BarryBobPosthole
03-15-2013, 12:12 PM
We should turn a bunch of longhorn cattle loose then and start hunting them with dogs. they're more fun to eat and have nice racks.

BKB

Buckrub
03-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Well there you go!!! I'm with you.

Thumper
03-15-2013, 02:39 PM
I very, VERY seldom hunt in Florida ... but there's a huge WMA just 20 mins north of me and the last time I deer hunted there, a Florida Wildlife Officer told me personally to shoot every hog I see ... boar, sow, piglet ... it didn't matter. The clincher was ... he also told me if I don't want the meat, leave it for the vultures. That's how thick they are down here. I've never seen an animal so destructive. If you didn't know what the cause was, you'd swear somebody took a tractor and dragged a plow all through the woods ... and they can destroy a VERY large tract in one night.