PDA

View Full Version : 7 hp Johnson Seahorse 1932

Buckrub
03-20-2013, 06:36 PM
I think I posted this before, but not sure. I am cleaning this up and going to put it in the house (mama can bite me).........it was her Grandfather's.

Model OK-60, Serial 184693, 7 hp outboard.

Missing the tiller handle.......and some other parts.

I've used Bug and Tar remover and a wire brush, but can't reach the hard-to-reach places. I COULD take it totally apart and clean each part and it would look much better. Knowing me, I think I'll pass on that. It had TONS of grease on it, and it's 90% better than it was.......it is still 'dirty' and not really cleaned up, but this is what it is. This sat in my Father in Law's shop for many years, after HIS father died many years ago. My FIL died in 1990 (a month after I had lung surgery, bad times then for the women folk) and my MIL wouldn't let anyone get anything out of the shop.......she was an odd duck (but a very nice lady). There's an 'antique' Oliver Tractor still sitting in the yard at the farm, e.g......... and this sat there for 20+ years.

I decided I'd just clean it up best I could and put it in the house, next to the gun safe. It's in my way in my shop, and no one would ever see it out there anyway. Plus, it's safer in the house.

I can't get a position to get a good picture......but here it is.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/JohnsonOB1_zps7a4753a3.jpeg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/JohnsonOB3_zps8b298df0.jpeg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/JohnsonOB2_zpse6995366.jpeg

Captain
03-20-2013, 06:48 PM
SUPER cool there Bucksnort!! That is a great little engine. I can give you some tips on how to really clean it before you move it into the house. OR the next time you come to SC bring it and i'll restore it and paint it the original colors. Perhaps even get it to run (big maybe) but i'll take a shot at it if you want.
Nice find.
Why don't you go get that Oliver tractor that would be neat restored.
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
03-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Better hurry, I'm moving it in tomorrow. But of course I'll take any tips I can get.

Figured if I came to SC that I'd be cooter bait.

The tractor is a source of contention here. Wife wants it HERE in our yard......but we live in town, officially at least. I can't imagine. It won't run, and I don't know how I'd load it, unload it, etc. Besides it'd take something that will haul 11,000 pounds, and no one I know has such a trailer. I'd have to pay to have it hauled, at X per mile, and just can't swing it. Plus, I like it where it is, at the farm. Wife is afraid it'll be stolen. I don't. BUT..........other than the 1984 old chevy p/u in the garage, it's the last thing her Daddy owned at the farm after he declared bankruptcy. And it means the absolute world to her. But wouldn't do any good to actually restore it, to me........while I'd love a tractor, I have nothing to haul it on......and have no implements.........and couldn't afford to buy any.

Captain
03-20-2013, 07:10 PM
At least do this before you move it inside.

Go buy a can or two of the caustic oven cleaner. If you cannot find it the non-caustic will have to do. Spray it, soak it good trying to get it in all the places you cannot even see. Let it sit at least an hour. It works better if the air temp is over 70.
Make sure of the wind drift and keep it off stuff like your truck, boat, mower and cooking oil strainer...
ALL the grease and oil from the last 60 to 70 years will rinse off. Even better if you can rinse it with a pressure washer or power sprayer but not necessary. I have found it a good idea to take a air compressor and blow dry the metal after doing this. Because water will stand in little pockets and areas you cannot see and cause rust.
Also MAKE sure you wear a painters mask when spraying this stuff. If you don't you WILL come down with a bad cold almost like flu. The cleaner will totally burn all the membrane out of your smeller if you inhale it.
You will like the results.
Take Care, Captain

Buckrub
03-20-2013, 07:13 PM
I will do that.

Thank you.

Air temp here is not going to be 70 for two more weeks, though.

Captain
03-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Anyone with a roll-back can go get that Oliver, flat tires and all.

1932 Seahorse ad...

Buckrub
03-20-2013, 07:16 PM
I don't have any idea what a roll back is, sorry.

Captain
03-20-2013, 07:18 PM
It will work in cool temps just takes a little longer. The hotter it is the "softer" all that dried grease is. May have to do it twice. But I'm sure one can will be enough for a single coating. You will be amazed at the gunk runs off that thing

Niner
03-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Rollback....aka flat-bed wrecker.

LW
03-20-2013, 07:29 PM
My 16 year old NIECE didn't know what a rollback was either...

Captain
03-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Roll back

Buckrub
03-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Oh yeah. I know about nine guys that have one of those! Ha. NOT......

Captain
03-20-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm sure you cannot throw a rock in Conway without hitting a wrecker service/tow service. Call them ask them what they would charge to haul it.
You said it means the world to your wife. Surly the world would be worth a couple hundred bucks to see her smile!
Take Care, Captain

Captain
03-20-2013, 09:48 PM
My 16 year old NIECE didn't know what a rollback was either...

Ooooops sorry LW missed your comment. What happened to teach your niece what a Rollback was?

Buckrub
03-20-2013, 09:49 PM
About forty cents a mile.

You missed the part where I said I'd RATHER it stay at the farm, cause I don't want a dadgum old tractor in my yard in town........but she does. SO, I just hush about it and she thinks of something else to nag me about. So far, it's working. Not sure for how long. Plus, I bought her a pop up camper, and ain't no money left for a tow truck for now.

I'd give a LOT of money if I was 1/10 as rich as y'all think I am! :excitement:

LW
03-20-2013, 09:50 PM
A rolled king ranch edition pickup. She wished she was dead. I was glad she wasn't.

Captain
03-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Man that is a Damn NICE truck to be Rollin'

Sure glad she was not hurt! Probably that big truck is what kept her safe.
Take Care, Captain

Thumper
03-20-2013, 10:10 PM
WTF???? What did he use it for? Crank it up and use it as a shop fan? I think ya' may need a prop for that thing. I used to have one of those ... can't remember the persact year, but it was a 30's model. Dang! I sold it for parts (it was complete) and it had a stock BRONZE prop on it! I don't know if all the Johnsons had bronze props back then or not. It sure would look cool fully restored with a bronze prop all polished up!

I went through a stage a few years back where I was buying and reselling old outboards (no bigger than 15 hp). I had a few of those old Johnsons from the 30's - 40's. Dang, if I still had one I'd have all the parts you need. I'm with Larke ... restore that puppy and display it proudly in your man-cave.

Big Muddy
03-20-2013, 11:07 PM
Roll-backs and hot-shot truck/trailer rigs usually charge about the same for hauling....one way, $1.95-$2.65 per loaded mile....either one can easily haul that Oliver tractor for you, anywhere in the U.S.

Buckrub
03-21-2013, 12:02 PM
So, about $800 to get it here.........and no help in loading and unloading......or about the price of a nice, new gun.

OK.

Thump, many of the replacement parts, lower units, props, etc., were bronze, but the original was not. I need a prop and a tillar handle (bolts on). If you can find me one, let me know. Mama has gone to Walmart and caustic oven cleaner is on the list.

Thanks.

Buckrub
03-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Just sprayed it down with the caustic (lye) oven cleaner, and pressure washed it off. A lot of the stuff came off. It stripped the entire finish off a lot of the lower unit, leaving black streaks. The more I pressure wash it, the worse it gets. Took a lot of grease off of upper stuff. I had thought I'd try two coats of this, but now I don't think so. I think right now, it is what it is........and when it dries, it's going in the house to display, and that's that.

Thumper
03-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Ha ha ha! Are you serious? Dude, THAT'S not a display piece! Hide it in the shed until you get the time to restore it ... THEN display it proudly. It's a "pile" right now just begging for a little TLC.