PDA

View Full Version : Retirement Question About Social Security

BarryBobPosthole
03-21-2013, 01:18 PM
I was just wondering about something and thought I'd ask the retirees and those planning retirement what their thoughts were on this.

I have always looked at Social Security as one of those things that might or might not be there for me for the rest of my life. Partly because its survival depends on the IQ of the people in government. Enough said. But mainly because I've always viewed social security as a safety net and not as a retirement income. I think that was it's original intent wasn't it? To keep old folks from living in poverty?

so I've made my retirement plans assuming I'd have no social security payments each month. Sure, I plan to file for it mainly because I friggin paid for it all these years. But truthfully, how much a part of our retirement incomes should be based on that part? I'm a 'worse case' planner when it comes to this so I guess you could say I an optimistic person but a pessimistic planner. But if it went away tomorrow, would you have to go back to work? I'm not saying either way is good or bad. I'm just trying to talk myself into retiring maybe.

BKB

Buckrub
03-21-2013, 01:25 PM
It will always be there. Seniors would burn down the White House if not. It will probably be reduced some, and might cost more for workers. But it will never go away. Period.

NOT COUNTING my IRA (401k)........discounting that totally...........my SS income (Me plus my wifes) is a little less than 50% of our total income. So if it went away, we'd have to eat into our IRA for income, and it wouldn't take long to deplete that in that case. So, I'd have to live under a bridge.

Plus, it is the vehicle with which we pay for our Medicare part B and D......

If you can retire without SS in the equation, then you will be rich and you can buy the bait and gas if we ever fish.....which we never will.......dingbat.

OH, and the "original intent" was to have a vehicle to SUPPLEMENT folks' retirement, help a little.........NOT as a safety net for folks with nothing else. It was 1% of your salary at first. It's a perfect example of the combination of the Perfect Ponzi scheme coupled with Government Oversight.........a combo that can't be successful.

BarryBobPosthole
03-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Actually, no it WAS intended to keep old folks out of poverty. Old people were dying of starvation and malnourishment. something had to be done. It seems they didn't have retirement back in those days unless it was through some sort of union work. funny how that is.

It was never intended as retirement income, per se. But now I think its normal to look at it that way.

BKB

Buckrub
03-21-2013, 01:43 PM
http://www.ssa.gov/history/genrev.html

Thumper
03-22-2013, 01:23 AM
I'm living on SS and e-Bay right now! ;)

It amazes me how much "fluff" you can cut out of your monthly expenditures when your back's against the wall. Heck, we're even taking frigging vacations!

Buckrub
03-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Sigh. No apology for my being right on what the original intent of SS was! Figures. Libtards don't usually apologize........heck, most of 'em don't even recognize the concept of 'being wrong'. Heck, he probably didn't even read my reference. Sigh. Pearls before Swine, and this from a Clam on Steroids!

I have the old sheets that show your 'statement'.........(they quit doing these)....last one was right before I retired. What it doesn't show is how much money you paid in for those years....it just has your salary. If you knew (and you can find it) the percentage to apply for each of those years, you could figure how much you paid in. But knowing that number would probably give you a heart attack. And don't forget, the original intent was solely Retirement. Now it's Disability insurance, death benefit, child and survivor insurance, SSI (Social Security Welfare), and other programs come out of it. Those are the things that mostly affected the insolvency.....because without those, it's a Guaranteed Self Perpetuating Ponzi Scheme.

BarryBobPosthole
03-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Well, you were wrong.

BKB

Buckrub
03-22-2013, 09:59 AM
No, you were.

But it's ok. Your team plays today.

BarryBobPosthole
03-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Yep, Okie State was one and done. They were vastly overrated as a five seed and they've been overrated all year long. I can't stand Travis Ford. He has ONE outstanding player on his teamand he's been riding that horse as long as he can. Of course, that one good player is a hoss. Who wouldn't?
BKB

Thumper
03-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Well, here we go in usual GH fashion ... from Social Security to (base)ball? (foot)ball? (basket)ball? Heck, what ball season is it anydamnway?

Thumper
03-22-2013, 10:20 AM
No wait! You're talking baseball ... right? The dang Detroit Tigers stay here in town and almost everyday now I get stuck in all that *$#^&*% traffic with all the snowbirds trying to get into the stadium. I can see the stadium lights from my backyard and just about anywhere I go from here, I have to drive right by it and get stuck behind all those dang Yankees! ARRGGGHHH! I HATE baseball season!

Buckrub
03-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Opening day just around the corner!!! WOOO HOOOO..... FINALLY, something to watch on TV for six months. Whew. I wasn't sure I was gonna make it.

But this is about the March Madness, dufus. You are SUCH a yuppie!

Thumper
03-22-2013, 10:33 AM
No clue what March Madness is. If there's a ball of any kind involved ... I have about as much interest as I do in eating brussles sprouts!